Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can baby's position keep you from going into labor? **update** (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451691)

HeatherlovesCDs 10-08-2012 11:07 AM

Can baby's position keep you from going into labor? **update**

I'm 39wks today. I continue to have a LOT of contractions. They are getting stronger and more and more frequent. Last night, I really thought I might be going into labor. They were very strong and painful and started coming about every 3-4 minutes lasting 90 secs. But, of course, as always, they stopped.

Since about 36/37wks, I've thought baby is head down, but posterior (facing up in case I'm using the wrong term). But, I'm not good at determining that and never have been even with 3 previous babies. I do know baby is head down.

So, today, I emailed my doula and told her about last night and how I keep starting, but not really going anywhere. Her response was that she is wondering if baby is in the right position and she linked me to a spinning babies page to help baby get in a better position.

I find it interesting that I've been thinking this for a while and now she is wondering the same. Can baby not being positioned correctly stop labor or hold it off? I'm planning to start doing the positioning to hopefully help. But, I was just wondering what other's experiences with this might be.

Thanks!

update - This isn't totally related to the above post, but I thought I would update about my OB appt today. Baby is not engaged yet. However, I am now 3cms!!! Woo Hoo!!! So, I guess these contractions are at least doing something. Of course, we all know it doesn't mean that much, but I'd rather the contractions be doing something than nothing. Plus, who wouldn't rather start labor already slightly dilated than at 0 or 1. :giggle2: (And, I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't even ask the OB if baby was posterior. I don't know why I did. It just slipped my mind. :blush:)

EmilytheStrange 10-08-2012 11:14 AM

Re: Can baby's position keep you from going into labor?

I wouldn't think the position can stop labor. I mean, babies come out breech, they come out sunnyside up, sunnyside down.... So, if position meant anything, wouldn't all babies come out the same? It seems that position just changes where you feel it - back labor, etc. or how painful it is.

but I don't KNOW.

certainly if you do the positioning, it could help baby get in a more preferred position right? might make things easier.

My child was sunnyside up (I THINK - I had back labor and that's one of the primary reasons for it) and came at 40 weeks. Maybe she would have come earlier if she was correctly positioned? maybe? I had no prelabor.

Belbaby3728 10-08-2012 11:46 AM

I had my dd at 35 weeks and she was sunny side up right up until she came out- she turned herself while I was pushing. So no I don't think it can stop/delay labor, however it does make for a much more painful labor.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-08-2012 11:47 AM

I have a history of preterm labor and even my first, I went into labor at 39wks exactly (today). So, we are all surprised I'm still cooking. Just saying, this is why we expected baby to be here by now.

But, even though I think baby is sunny side up, I didn't think it would stop me from going into labor. I do know it causes and lot of back labor and I've heard that a poorly positioned baby *can* cause labor to take longer.

I don't know either. So, I thought I'd ask what others though. I'm sort of on the fence on what to think about it though.

Thanks for your input!

sisu 10-08-2012 03:28 PM

Both of my kids were OP. I've had several nurses and a couple OBs tell me that OP babies often are born later, and labor is more likely to stall, then start back up, stall again, etc. I don't know if it holds true for everyone, but it sure did for me.

cheezpoofs 10-08-2012 05:18 PM

Yes, I really do think poor positioning can keep labor from going full-swing. Sit on a birth ball or do some movements to get baby into the right position. Good luck! :thumbsup:

HeatherlovesCDs 10-08-2012 07:02 PM

Thanks! I don't think it could really stop labor if there it's REALLY wanting to start. Obviously, babies come when they need/want to regardless of anything else sometimes. But, I am wondering if this could be hindering a little. It's nice to hear that maybe it is possible. I'm planning to do some positioning tonight after my kids go to bed. Either way, it can't hurt. Thanks!!

palsmama 10-08-2012 07:17 PM

Mama!! I'm right there with you! Two weeks ago tomorrow I went into labor! Same as you described then it just stopped! I contract ALL the time!! I've been in prodromal labor for 2 weeks!! Ugh. My first was 37 weeks ( I think I told you that ) and now here I sit ... 40 and 3 and still pregnant at 4 cm contacting all the time!! Can we say annoying!!! :banghead::cry:

Hang in there! Do your moves and stay healthy and happy! It's a roller coaster.

weesej 10-09-2012 05:40 AM

Yes, positioning can cause prodromal labor,or ineffective labor. Especially in moms who have had lots of babies. My guess is that baby's head is not putting good solid pressure on your cervix, so you are having lots of contractions without dilation. I'm guessing since I haven't seen you, that since you have had multiple sets of twins that baby has too much room and is hanging out parallel the floor with its head pointing to your back rather than up and down, more perpendicular and head putting pressure down into your pelvic girdle.

If this is the case, the next time you have a good bout of contractions, I would use a belly binder or a long sling wrap to wrap your belly up snugly and keep baby more upright so you can make some progress.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-09-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palsmama (Post 15787065)
Mama!! I'm right there with you! Two weeks ago tomorrow I went into labor! Same as you described then it just stopped! I contract ALL the time!! I've been in prodromal labor for 2 weeks!! Ugh. My first was 37 weeks ( I think I told you that ) and now here I sit ... 40 and 3 and still pregnant at 4 cm contacting all the time!! Can we say annoying!!! :banghead::cry:

Hang in there! Do your moves and stay healthy and happy! It's a roller coaster.

I'm sorry you are going through it too. This is sort of my third time going through it. I've had 2 sets of twins. My first, I had a LOT of contractions and got put on meds and bedrest because of it. I wasn't dilating, but still, my water broke at 35wks. They were early, but I'd already been contracting a lot for more than a month. The second set of twins was much worse. I went into preterm labor at 32wks and they stopped it. I was 3cms then. My contractions never fully stopped. At 33wks, I was 4cms. At 34, I was 5 and landed in the hospital on hospital bed rest. The nurses could not believe how strong and frequent my contractions were and that I wasn't actually in labor. :( I stayed like that till 36wks when they had to break my water to get me to deliver because of other issues. Who knows how long I would have gone.

This time, I'm certainly glad I don't have to be induced (yet, BP has caused some issues), but I feel like I have no end in sight to this. :(

Anyway, I'm sorry you are still pregnant. I hope baby comes very soon for both of us. :hugs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesej (Post 15788076)
Yes, positioning can cause prodromal labor,or ineffective labor. Especially in moms who have had lots of babies. My guess is that baby's head is not putting good solid pressure on your cervix, so you are having lots of contractions without dilation. I'm guessing since I haven't seen you, that since you have had multiple sets of twins that baby has too much room and is hanging out parallel the floor with its head pointing to your back rather than up and down, more perpendicular and head putting pressure down into your pelvic girdle.

If this is the case, the next time you have a good bout of contractions, I would use a belly binder or a long sling wrap to wrap your belly up snugly and keep baby more upright so you can make some progress.

Thank you for this! It makes perfect sense to me and I was wondering this exact explanation for it just last night. His head is definitely down there, but I don't feel like he is engaged and putting pressure on my cervix, just like you said. I am sure baby has plenty of room. I had 5 previous babies including 2 sets of twins. I've been told several times by multiple people I have plenty of space because of this. Also, this baby is extremely active. Even still at 39wks and probably big, he is moving constantly. I've found myself wondering if that is partly because he has the space to do it.

Last night, I did some positioning and a lot of ball sitting. I think I'll replace my chair at my desk with my ball. Maybe that will help him settle in. I will also try the sling. My doula sent me a link about it yesterday, but we didn't try it last night. I'll have my husband help tonight.

Thanks again!