Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   So frustrated with trainers - Help me get out of sposies! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451708)

TrennaII 10-08-2012 11:40 AM

So frustrated with trainers - Help me get out of sposies!

I just don't know where to (re)start ... :banghead:

LO is 29 months and we're doing PLing the slow stubborn way. We're having consistent forward progress, but lots of full-on accidents. I'm having a heck of a time finding the right trainer.

What we need:

--He can pull up and down independently.
--Economical, unless I get his Grovia stash sold quickly! (then I can do 10 pair at $20).
--If he has a full accident while sitting on the couch, or on my lap at synagogue, or in a chair at daycare, it's not a total disaster.
--Feels wet to him
--Washes easily (super thick pads, like Flip and Grovia, don't work)

What I've tried:

--Buying the Tinkle Time Trainers pattern. Awesome with a lot of changes to the pattern, therefore no FSOT.

--Flip. The snaps come undone too much and those thick jersey pads are too hard to wash.

--Imse Vimse. Love except the immediate puddle during an accident.

--Best Bottoms. I so wanted to love these but not having elasticized legs is completely absurd.

--Going straight to underpants. Just not an option. 3 day PLing sorta worked then his life changed a lot, then he quit. I don't have 3 days in the near future.

When my school started a few weeks ago and we had several other things hit the fan, I went to disposable pull-ups (GASP) and sposie diapers at night. I know I know ... I feel so ashamed ...

TIA all you awesome mommas!

Kencke 10-08-2012 12:56 PM

I use flip trainers but idk if that would work with ur washer

TeachinAuntie 10-08-2012 12:59 PM

Re: So frustrated with trainers - Help me get out of sposies!

http://www.justsimplybaby.com/Traini...ge_p_2105.html

Those are what I'm using with my 3 yo for leaving the house. They seem to meet all of your requirements. There are 2 sizes available.

ohgirlohboyohno 10-08-2012 01:13 PM

when you say "holds a full acident"...do you mean like he can pee in it and then continue playing .... or like ...on his way "oops"....cause ...and I say this not trying to mess with your system :thumbsup: .... I found that a lot of trainers really did hold a full accident but then they wicked (usually out the legs)...cause to get enough absorbancy they were pretty much the same "thickness" as a diaper :banghead:....and trust me...I PT'd my Emma for a good part of a year or so....like you said...the stubborn way.

We really like the ones from no babies allowed on HC (not sure if she is open right now or not - but a lot of times you can message her and she will do some for you.) BUT they only have the PUL in the middle - so they will eventually wick. She made them with adjustments for leg opening and rise no problem.

Have you tried something like a underwoolie - I am not a wool expert or anything but those seem interesting...Like in my mind I would think you could use a fairly good absorbent trainer and throw on an underwoolie (so it won't get on clothes)...of course 2 things to pull up and down...

AND....is he in daycare?....how are they helping with training? I know around here most daycares say they can get them trained really quickly if you work together...I mean they (daycare) do have the kids for a GOOD stretch of time...and usually the potties are very convenient :thumbsup: Emma was always very happy to go in "foreign" potties much better than at home...I always said she was potty trained for public but not for home :banghead:

TrennaII 10-08-2012 03:03 PM

Wow thanks for the suggestions and the support!

I like the look of the Simply Baby, but I wish I could see more of the features (i.e. where the PUL zone is). It also appears there isn't a size for him. But I'll research further.

Daycare puts him on the potty every 45 minutes. They're awesome, and go along with whatever diaper system I've got going on at the time. She really liked the Best Bottoms, it's too bad that idea was so badly executed.

We deal with wet whatever as soon as we know about it. But he is entering a "No don't change me" stage, where he HATES to stop what he's doing. He used to hate to be wet, now he doesn't care.

Honestly I'm hoping that the month in pull-ups will get him used to feeling dry, so when we go back to cloth he'll once again hate feeling wet.

So anyway ... no, I don't want him hanging out in wet drawers for a long time. Daycare he gets checked at least every 45 minutes, and at home it's about every hour unless we know he's wet. I just don't want there to be an immediate puddle.

Looks like No Babies Allowed is closed, but they use the Little Comet Tails pattern, so I could look at others who use that pattern.

TrennaII 10-09-2012 09:26 AM

What about Ecoposh?

RockinLou 10-09-2012 11:03 AM

What about large Sandys and fleece pants? they are huge on my 3 1/2 year old, if you loosen the snaps they are an easy up & down

sandhillcranes 10-09-2012 11:33 AM

Ecoposh hold about the same as imse vimse and blueberry.
I got some ladderhill designs with the stuffable pocket (the overnight) and they work well. They are my fave so far.

Superundies pull on trainers would probably work well for u. theyre like an aio but pull up and down easy.

Both of those options are expensive (at least imo) but they will hold a full accident. Check fsot and spots. Ohhh something that would also work and u can find cheap--knickernappies sized pockets. U can stuff them and put them on loose. If your LO has blowouts though that might not be a good choice since putting them on loose may make the legs not as tight.

ambieone 10-09-2012 11:47 AM

I make fleece pull ups and used them with my ds, they are the only trainers we used. They can be made with a layer of pul sewn in the wetzone for an extra layer of protection. If you would like to check them out the link to my wahm page is in my signature. Also if you have any questions feel free to pm me!

olstep 10-09-2012 12:16 PM

I second pull-ups. But diapers, not trainers. It will make it easier on your son and you. Especially if being wet doesn't bother him.
And in my experience feeling wet doesn't affect much how quickly a baby will learn to use potty. Patience and gentle guidance does. But what helps the best is time. When they are ready, they are ready.

If you have some basic sewing skills, you should be able to replace waist elastic on the diapers you have and use them as pull-ups. If you need help with it, feel free to pm me. I'll be happy to explain how to do it.