Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Cheap Non-Handmade Gifts That Don't Look Cheap (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451728)

badmisterkitty 10-08-2012 01:23 PM

Cheap Non-Handmade Gifts That Don't Look Cheap

....And don't require elaborate "presentation" to look fancy.

Call me lazy, but my handmade list is as long as it's going to get without me losing my mind, so now I'm looking for gifts I can buy at the store. Bonus points for things that can be thrown into a gift bag with tissue paper on top. LOL

Any age, any gender.

smores 10-08-2012 02:27 PM

Re: Cheap Non-Handmade Gifts That Don't Look Cheap

Books! There are always good "sale" books at BN and other big bookstores.

Photo books are a good one, and shutterfly is constantly running deals.

Costume jewelry for women - hitting up a good sale at Kohls, JCPenney or the like usually yields good stuff!

Kitchen gadgets can be good too - you can find those on sale for a lot cheaper at places like HomeGoods, and you can find some really neat gifts there.

Picture frames - Kohls has these on sale often, or if you live near an Ikea, they're cheap as dirt and really nice.

Bath toys for kids (or bath paint or the like) - it's often cheaper than normal toys and fun!

MamaJules 10-08-2012 04:05 PM

My 4 year old loves coloring books, crayons, markers, watercolor paints, etc. You could get a bunch of that sort of stuff and put in a gift bag for pretty cheap.

Pampered Mama 10-08-2012 04:23 PM

For kids, I love anything consumable- playdough, colors, paper, random craft supplies, stickers, etc- anything that has the potential to entertain without adding to the bulk of toys they already have!

For me, I would love to get nice, new kitchen towels, potholders, dish cloths- A nice reusable shopping bag instead of a paper gift bag- dish towels instead of tissue paper, pot holders, and a sweet treat all tucked inside- I would love that!

expaik 10-08-2012 06:11 PM

I agree with Kohls. They have things on clearance for a few dollars, marked down like 80%. Use a coupon on top of that and you get it pretty much free. We've bought linens, curtains, home decor, clothing, and jewelry for VERY cheap.

Catbutt Diapers 10-08-2012 10:38 PM

For kids: do you have Avon in the states? They have these awesome roll on soap paints for $0.75 to a $1.50. I get TONS of them and give them out kids go NUTS over them! And as a PP mentioned - BOOKS! Check out clearance book tables, and even second hand books - they often look/are new!

deezee02 10-09-2012 07:21 AM

I may be weird, but a lot of the things mentioned would go into my regift box...and I know anyone who buys for me would know that.

We have so many books and kitchen gadgets. I don't need kitchen towels, picture frames would be ok depending on the type.

I would look into the person you are shopping for. What do they like, what do they use a lot? And go from there.

tesslouise 10-09-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smores
Bath toys for kids (or bath paint or the like) - it's often cheaper than normal toys and fun!

Dry-erase crayons work in the tub too. I got some on clearance at Target for DD#1. I never know what Target is going to have on clearance on those disorganized endcaps.

badmisterkitty 10-09-2012 11:01 AM

For kids: do you have Avon in the states? They have these awesome roll on soap paints for $0.75 to a $1.50.

YES!! My kids LOVE these. I'm sure our younger nieces and nephews would too!

I also like the Kohl's idea. Seems like we get a couple $10 off $10 coupons in the mail around this time of year, too.

tesslouise 10-09-2012 11:04 AM

I've found classy and/or useful kitchen stuff at Tuesday Morning (before Christmas they carry really nice wood spoons) and IKEA (I got my mom a lasagna pan there). I'm one who prolly has too much kitchen stuff but my rubber spatulas are wearing out--so there are specific things I'd love to have. I think filling specific needs/wants can help avoid the regifting issue.