Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Neck gunk! Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451735)

Bentley'sMomma 10-08-2012 12:37 PM

Neck gunk! Help!

So dd is 7 weeks. She is slender, but has some seriously deep neck wrinkles. I clean her neck wrinkles all. the. time. And no matter how throughly I clean it, I can always find more. I cleaned it for 10 minutes one time... was letting it air dry, and then when I checked it 2 minutes later, I found more gunk! I don't even understand why since I assume it's just breastmilk, but there is so much all the time. It's gotten so bad that she smells like rotten milk even right after a bath.

Now an added issue is that when I stretch her wrinkles open, it's shiny around the creases. I think because it's raw? It's not bleeding or anything, but it's irritated for sure. Should I put anything on it or leave it alone? I clean out her neck at least every hour... should I do it less even though it stinks?

Thanks!

abunchoflemons 10-08-2012 01:07 PM

Re: Neck gunk! Help!

I would put sween on. Keep clean. Could b soap if u do soap & water. Make sure pat dry to help. Could be dead skin cells.

Yarnjess 10-08-2012 02:36 PM

It could be yeasty. You could try coconut oil for a natural antifungal. Or get some OTC antifungal cream. That's what our ped told me when i asked about the gunky neck folds at our 2 month well check. Personally, I'd try the coconut oil over the OTC cream because I like more natural remedies when possible.

kannondicarpo 10-08-2012 02:39 PM

I was going to suggest coconut oil.

A21Lee 10-08-2012 02:59 PM

In addition to breast milk, it's also skin cells and debris that accumulate and then causes a gritty irritatation causing the redness (maceration) when baby moves. It usually doesn't get so bad as to be "yeasty beasties," but can bleed if the skin rubs enough. The stink is the worst, isn't it! It's so hard to keep dry in the folds. My little guy used to get it at the neck line and at the back of his knees. Keeping it clean and dry is the absolute best. You just want to eliminate the gunk and grittiness and the redness will resolve by itself. Just putting a burp cloth in between the neck fold for a few seconds after a bath will help absorb extra moisture. You can try fanning it dry while holding under the jaw to hold the head up. If it doesn't resolve with this, you can try OTC remedies: gentian violet (for yeast and antiseptic) or a bit of bacitracin (especially if it bleeds). Gentian violet is purple and does stain. A little goes a long way, but it also helps keep the area dry and yeasty-free. You can find it in the pharmacy area with first aid supplies. You may need to ask a pharmacist to order it if it's something they don't keep on hand. Best of luck!

crazyeyesmcgee 10-08-2012 03:03 PM

I use cornstarch. It helps immensely. Clean, pay dry and apply generously to the folds. Usually if I do this at bedtime it's way improved by morning.

A21Lee 10-08-2012 03:04 PM

I just re-read what you posted. If you're still smelling the stink after cleaning her neck, check the other folds-behind the knees, in her diaper area, and especially under the arm pits (that's a hard area to clean). The smell could be coming from one of those other areas. That's how I discovered that my little guy had it behind the knees.

sisu 10-08-2012 03:08 PM

Coconut oil, or CJs, helps a lot. It acts as a moisture barrier to protect the skin, and also makes it easier to wipe the gunk off. I had chubby babies with lots of neck folds, I made sure to tip their heads back ans really wash well in the creases at bath time, too.

Heather8183 10-08-2012 03:15 PM

Sounds like yeast to me. If coconut oil doesn't clear it up, head to the dr for nystatin

mibarra 10-08-2012 03:20 PM

Yuck! DD1 did that, I used to say she was 'making cheese' in her neck from the milk. DD2 did it behind her ears. I found using a bib during feedings help, especially one like the Tommee Tippee bib with that big absorbant neck area, or shoving a burp cloth under their chin. I would also wipe it out after every feeding and put vasoline on when it was dry to act as a barrier. :)