Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sleeping problems with Extended BFing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451739)

oldmomma 10-08-2012 12:46 PM

Sleeping problems with Extended BFing

Okay, I always thought I would be the momma who nursed a year and then weaned to milk. Which is what I did with DS1. DS2 I have been totally worried about my milk supply since I went back to work when she was 8 weeks old. Now, I only work 3 days a week but still. I have always nursed on demaned in the night to keep up my supply. Now, DS2 is 13 months old and I am continueing to BF because she is allergic to milk and I just don't think almond or coconut have enough calories or nurtrition to be the only thing and she is not a bing eater because she has no teeth.

Okay, my question. She gets up 1 or 2 times in the night still to nurse. Should I be worried about this? Am I doing something that affects her ability to fall asleep by herself? If I night wean her, will my production be nothing? I am no longer pumping, since I just couldn't do it any more and she is drinking almond at daycare.

How long should I keep going? I don't want to be a mom that has a toddler asking for milk or the baby pulls up her shirt to nurse on demand. (That is just me nothing wrong with the mommas who do that)

loni1090 10-08-2012 02:00 PM

Re: Sleeping problems with Extended BFing

Are you co sleeping? When I co slept with DS #3, I guess my moving around at night woke him up and he would want to nurse. When I put him to sleep in the crib at night, he would sleep through the night. Could also be since she doesn't eat a lot of solids due to her having no teeth.
Of course your supply will be affected by you nursing less, but I stopped pumping at 12 mos with DS #2 and still nursed him until 23 mos. So you will still produce as long as you keep nursing.
I BF DS #2 until 23 mos. We would go to toddler classes and he would lie on my lap at circle time and want to nurse :P Maybe keep it up until she starts eating more solids? And occasionally, as they get older, they outgrow some allergies.

oldmomma 10-08-2012 06:50 PM

No I don't. Wish I did. Bed isn't big enough with DH in it too and we are out of bedrooms:)

Also, anybody out there who is still nursing and there ds doesn't sleep through the night? Should I even worry or care she doesn't sleep through the night at 13 months.

abunchoflemons 10-08-2012 06:56 PM

My sil said nursing til age 1 none of hers ever slept through the night. Ours did til we started solids at 6 onths (puree).

m0mof6 10-08-2012 07:46 PM

My ydd is 14 months and eats at midnight, 2am, 4 or 5am, and again at 7 am. A good night is eating at midnight and then at 4 and 8. Lol

She also eats whenever I let her during the day (or whenever she can climb on my lap). If I'm not home or she doesn't see me (aka DH has her downstairs and I'm upstairs) she'll go all day without eating but when I'm around its every 3-4 hrs max.

She is very low weight wise and currently doing allergy elimination testing so I don't feel I should cut back even though it means I can't eat any of the foods she is eliminating.

Just wanted to let you know your not alone with the not sleeping through the night and got derailed ;) She sleeps on her crib from 9-12 and then cop sleeps the rest of the night.

VeganCupcake 10-08-2012 08:09 PM

I wouldn't worry--unless it is making your life difficult because of sleep deprivation. It's very normal for babies, toddlers, and kids to need help getting back to sleep in the night for *years*, and their favorite way is often through nursing--and I can't blame them because the first and most important kind of soothing and comforting they ever received.

My DD didn't STTN until she was about 2 years old. My DS is 18 months old and usually wakes once or twice in the night to nurse. He is generally nightweaned from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., though, so he doesn't usually wake during those hours.

Teexie 10-08-2012 08:31 PM

(You said "DS" and "she" so I'm confused...I'm guessing you meant DD so I'm saying "she" too :) )
It's absolutely nothing to worry about. Like PP said, lots of toddlers are still nursing at night! Obviously you can work on night weaning if you want to, but it's far from necessary (despite what some may tell you, including some peds :( ). If you don't nightwean, she will eventually sleep through the night on her own, or if she continues to wake up, she won't always need to nurse at night. You will not be waking up 1-2 times per night to nurse your DD when she is 8 yrs old. So don't worry :)

You would most likely see a drop in supply if you completely nightwean, but since you are well established in nursing on demand during the rest of the day, you should be able to keep your supply up to take care of those sessions.

My DD is almost 18 months and nurses about every 4 hours at night. She is slowly learning to settle back to sleep without nursing, especially if DH goes to her when she wakes at night. There is nothing wrong with letting your DD continue nursing at night as long as you are okay with it, too!

knodceo 10-08-2012 08:39 PM

My first slept through the night, or started to at 2, but she still gets up every once and a while. She is now 4.

My 17 mo still co sleeps and nurses. We are slowly working towards eating more. Whenever he pulls at me, I offer food. I plan on nursing until the end of Christmas and then I will reevaluate. He still gets up at 12 an 4 and 7. Some nights not at all..

You can't force something they aren't ready for is my feeling about: my little ones weren't interested in food until they got their molars.

Good luck... I'd say follow your gut

eva_luvs_dave 10-09-2012 12:00 AM

My 17 m/o still nurses at night and co sleeps with us. His appetite has really increased over the last month. He has days where he wants to eat all day it seems and other days where he just picks.

GL :)

OHIOFIFI 10-09-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0mof6 (Post 15787189)
My ydd is 14 months and eats at midnight, 2am, 4 or 5am, and again at 7 am. A good night is eating at midnight and then at 4 and 8. Lol

This is my DS at almost 13 months. During the day, he nurses to sleep at nap time, to sleep at night and maybe once more - that's it. However, most of those night nursings are more comfort nursings. I don't hear him swallowing and his sucking isn't strong like it is when he actually "eats" during the day.