Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wet straight through a Sandys and wool cover (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451741)

HappiMom 10-08-2012 12:47 PM

Wet straight through a Sandys and wool cover

I'm talking a puddle on the floor. Both the cover and diaper are new and this was a first time use.

The wool cover (ecoposh) wasn't wet on the outside, so I don't think it was the problem. I think I lanolized it pretty well, even though it was my first time. The pee ran down her leg and I am wondering if the Sandy's is too big? My DD is 23.5 lbs, so I bought a large bamboo terry and it closes on the tightest setting, but still feels kinda loose. Do you ladies find this diaper runs big? Maybe I should have got a size S??Most mom's here do not complain about this diaper leaking.

I am wondering if I need to wash it a couple more times to boost absorbency? I only washed it twice.:headscratch:

juliasmom 10-08-2012 01:17 PM

Re: Wet straight through a Sandys and wool cover

Hmmm, it sounds like something isn't right with either the fit or it isn't fully prepped if it is running down her leg. Was the diaper soaking wet when you took it off? IMO Sandys aren't the most absorbent fitted without a doubler, but they should hold pee until they are soaking wet and then start wicking through the wool cover at the wet zone not leak at the leg the way you are describing. If the wool feels dry even though the diaper is wet than it is probably not a lanolizing problem. Sandys are very fluffy in the butt and crotch and run a bit big, but I wouldn't buy smalls for a 23lb baby. Is there gapping around the waist or legs?

HappiMom 10-08-2012 02:45 PM

The Sandys was completely soaked through.

The wool soaker was wet on the inside of the wet zone, but dry to the touch on the outside. Yesterday I had her in a cotton prefold under the soaker with no leaks, but I will try again today.

The Sandys is not snug in my opinion, but there is no gaping in the legs. So, basically it's not hanging off of her, but it's also not tight on the smallest setting. Maybe it just needs to be better prepped and used with a doubler?

RockinLou 10-08-2012 03:01 PM

What kind of Sandy's? If it is bamboo or organic, prepping might help? I have a large Sandy's for my 24 pound son, it is HUGE on him, but doesn't leak. However, it is a 1 hour diaper, where others are 3-4, I just don't find it very absorbent, and I don't like adding a doubler to it because that just gets bunched and DS tries to take the diaper off, and though I love the elastic, he can take off his Disana soaker and Sandy's fitted if he decides he isn't comfortable... talk about puddle on the floor!

RockinLou 10-08-2012 03:16 PM

just wanting to add that I had some smalls, and they were way too small so I sold them before I ordered a large.... I really wish they made a medium! I can put the large on my 4 year old with the snaps on the last setting:giggle2:

armywife21 10-08-2012 03:24 PM

She said that it was bamboo. I bet it needs another few washings.

HappiMom 10-08-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinLou
What kind of Sandy's? If it is bamboo or organic, prepping might help? I have a large Sandy's for my 24 pound son, it is HUGE on him, but doesn't leak. However, it is a 1 hour diaper, where others are 3-4, I just don't find it very absorbent, and I don't like adding a doubler to it because that just gets bunched and DS tries to take the diaper off, and though I love the elastic, he can take off his Disana soaker and Sandy's fitted if he decides he isn't comfortable... talk about puddle on the floor!

Yes, it's bamboo. I was surprised that there is no medium, as well. I'm thinking it will be comfy for night since the elastic is so stretchy. She slept in it last night and soaked through in the morning. She rarely pees in the middle of the night. I have some hemp gdiaper inserts I can stuff in there. Hopefully it won't shift around too much while she sleeps.

My daughter pulls anything off that's not snapped, so I feel you on that one. It's usually right after she pees, though, and she leaves a wet (or worse) diaper on the floor for me to step in :/. I think she's super close to toilet training.