Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   When do you Trick Or Treat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451747)

emconigs 10-08-2012 12:57 PM

When do you Trick Or Treat?

We just moved to a new city and we were trying to find out when they do Trick or Treat. Where I grew up it was always a time set by the city the sunday before the 31st. When I asked around people looked at me like I was crazy to think it would be any day other than the 31st. Also, it seems there is not a set time. You just kinda go whenever you want I guess. So I was wondering what other areas do?

pine_apple_goat 10-08-2012 01:00 PM

Ours is always on the 31st from 6 to 8pm.

eco-mum 10-08-2012 01:04 PM

Where I'm from it was always on the 31st at whatever time you wanted to go. Though obviously if you were going around after 9 then most people were no longer answering doors and/or out of candy.

OnAnnaTime 10-08-2012 01:08 PM

We go the 31st between 6-9ish. Whenever the kids get tired and "enough" candy. There are scheduled trunk-or-treats that we go to on other days as well.

Rhianna'sMommy 10-08-2012 01:09 PM

Re: When do you Trick Or Treat?

Growing up in Nebraska it was always on the 31st no set time. Little kids would usually head out at 5ish before dark (this was before they adjusted daylight savings so it was dark by 5:30ish). We always turned off our lights by 8:30 ish because by then it was just teenagers who 1/2 the time didn't even bother to dress up.

I live in Iowa now and our town alternates between the 30th and 31st. Dh said growing up it was rarely on the 31st so the fact that our town schedules it on the 31st seems odd to him. The town always sets the time as 6-8. I haven't seen them announce this years date but I suspect it will be the 30th this year since the 31st is on Wednesday and that is church night.

somo_chickenlady 10-08-2012 01:13 PM

Where we grew up and lived while DS was young enough to trick-or-treat, it was on the 31st, anytime you wanted to go. Little kids were usually the first ones to come around, and then the bigger kids later in the evening.

The only time it was scheduled on a different day than actual Halloween, was the year that we had a MASSIVE snow storm during that week that shut the entire city down, and the mayor cancelled Halloween (1997 in Omaha, NE). I think they trick-or-treated the next week or something like that, but I'm not sure exactly b/c I was 19 and didn't have kids, so I didn't care. LOL

my2sweets 10-08-2012 01:16 PM

Where I grew up it was the sat before halloween dusk-8pm. Where we live now its on the 31st but I dont know certain times. Last yr we left at 6:30 and were only out for about an hour.

Mama*Kim 10-08-2012 01:16 PM

Until a few years ago, I'd never even heard of official Trick or Treating rules. Around here, regular ToTing is on the 31st, whatever time you go out. I think, respectfully, 6-9pm is the most appropriate time. It gives people time to eat dinner first, and stops before littles are in bed. Some churches, business districts, etc have events in the weeks before Halloween.

milosmama 10-08-2012 01:22 PM

I have never heard of it being any other day than the 31st. People go whatever time they want to go, but like a pp said, little kids usually start after dinner (6-ish) and then the big kids later. Our downtown businnes area (a plaza) has trick or treating starting about 4-ish until 6-ish. That is always fun and safe with no real traffic and you get to actually see the kids costumes before it gets dark.

jac1976 10-08-2012 01:24 PM

Everywhere I have ever lived, we've gone ToTing on Halloween. In my neighborhood we have a big parade/potluck dinner starting at 4:30, and the kids go ToTing right afterwards. It's all over between 7:30 and 8pm.