Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Plan Toys City - Opinions? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451769)

argecash 10-08-2012 01:56 PM

Plan Toys City - Opinions?

Hi,

I'm looking at the Plan Toys City set as a possible Christmas gift for my boys ages 3 and 4.5. We already have a large set of the Thomas wooden railway and I like the fact that the Plan City roadway will attach to our current train set. Can anyone who has experience with this set give me some opinions on it as far as quality and entertainment value. Also, if you attached it to the Thomas wooden railway tell me how that worked out.

Thanks,
Audrey

Leiiki 10-08-2012 02:07 PM

Re: Plan Toys City - Opinions?

We only got some of the accessory buildings (fire house, etc.) because we have too many train tracks already :) I think the quality is quite good overall - they are sturdy and the moving parts work smoothly even for small hands. I like that there are no sharp edges like there are on the plastic train accessories that came with our table.

argecash 10-09-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki (Post 15785765)
We only got some of the accessory buildings (fire house, etc.) because we have too many train tracks already :) I think the quality is quite good overall - they are sturdy and the moving parts work smoothly even for small hands. I like that there are no sharp edges like there are on the plastic train accessories that came with our table.

Yeah, we have A LOT of track, but I thought it would be good to also get the road system. Will that be overkill?

MommyZ of 2 10-09-2012 09:57 AM

We picked some Plan buildings and vehicles up a yard sale once, and my kids love them! Especially the huge parking garage. They are so pricey, i wouldn't have bought them otherwise, but $20 seemed great for the garage, fire station and service station with about 15 cars/ trucks.
I don't want tracks, since we have so many Thomas ones, and the straights already flip to roadway. I bought a pack of curved Thomas roadway to supplement and called it done- until we were gifted a gently used set of ERTL wooden road track with a McDonalds and a Texaco. I think they like that stuff better, since its more realistic looking with places they recognize. I believe it's been discontinued, though. I think they would like the USPS set that goes with the ERTL set, but can't pay $50 for it!

Leiiki 10-09-2012 01:50 PM

Our train table has a road painted on it, so we don't even use the "road" side of our existing tracks. Lots of cars will drive on "track," too. If you don't need more tracks, I'd go with a few key buildings instead.

Shimpie 10-09-2012 11:02 PM

Zulily has a Plan Toys event right now. Double check to see if it's cheaper, though. Sometimes, Zulily isn't cheaper, especially with shipping. Unfortunately, they didn't have the one toy that I wanted, the alligator pull toy.

armywife2002 10-11-2012 09:05 PM

we have a couple of little pieces that were a gift last year, and ds loves them. he just turned 5 :)

argecash 10-12-2012 08:52 AM

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like we might not need any of the road pieces, just the buildings. I'm thinking of starting off with the parking garage and then building on it from there.

Mama*Kim 10-12-2012 09:38 AM

The only Plan Toys we have are infant ones, but I've been impressed with the quality. My two rough and tumble boys can destroy toys pretty easily, but the Plan ones are still in great shape.

RainandRedemption 10-12-2012 10:39 AM

We have the parking garage and love it. The rubber wood is so strong ( so it does hold up very well with kids) but we could. Ever get one screw in all the way. Our elevator also needs to be fixed, but overall were happy with it