Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Midwife question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451819)

itiswhatitis1984 10-08-2012 04:05 PM

Midwife question

I am 15 weeks pregnant and am not happy with my Obgyn. I know the delivery I want I will only get through a midwife. Tomorrow I am going to a birth center for an orientation and I'm wandering what I should ask them and look for. Thanks in advance for your advise & input!

kannondicarpo 10-08-2012 04:13 PM

Re: Midwife question

Between my husband and I we usually ask about transfer rates, their "worst" delivery and how it was handled, cut-off dates (ie. not before 36/37 weeks, not past 42/43 weeks), their certification in neonatal resuscitation, their procedure for post partum bleeding/hemorrhaging, how long they have been practicing solo (as in not under the eye of a senior midwife), if they will deliver breech/twins.

There are some other things but that is what is coming to mind at the moment. Good luck mama. I hope that it is a good fit for you. :)

itiswhatitis1984 10-08-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannondicarpo
Between my husband and I we usually ask about transfer rates, their "worst" delivery and how it was handled, cut-off dates (ie. not before 36/37 weeks, not past 42/43 weeks), their certification in neonatal resuscitation, their procedure for post partum bleeding/hemorrhaging, how long they have been practicing solo (as in not under the eye of a senior midwife), if they will deliver breech/twins.

There are some other things but that is what is coming to mind at the moment. Good luck mama. I hope that it is a good fit for you. :)

Wow...thank you!! I wouldn't have though of half of that. My mind shut off about 3 weeks ago during the pregnancy. Lol. There are only 2 local birth centers and the one is already full so I hope everything goes well with them tomorrow. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one side I have drs who will push epidurals etc...and on the other side I have the midwife. So if we don't like them I'm not sure what I'll do.

NappyChappy 10-08-2012 05:04 PM

What testing they require- u/s, blood work, iron levels ect? What her stance is on critical issues for you breastfeeding, circumcision, cutting cord, ect...? Where she would transfer you to and if she would go with? What are rates of tearing which require stitches? What does she require vit k, eye ointment ect..?

itiswhatitis1984 10-08-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NappyChappy
What testing they require- u/s, blood work, iron levels ect? What her stance is on critical issues for you breastfeeding, circumcision, cutting cord, ect...? Where she would transfer you to and if she would go with? What are rates of tearing which require stitches? What does she require vit k, eye ointment ect..?

Thanks! Those are great questions too!

JennTheMomma 10-08-2012 06:46 PM

I ditto everyone else

Palooka 10-08-2012 07:05 PM

I would also ask how many ultrasounds they require and how they generally deliver the placenta (some horror stories from other moms on here made the placenta question a new standard for me).

I would also want to at least meet the OBs who are at the birthing center or hospital you could be transferred to if things go wrong. I always heard that if you dislike one person in your midwife group then fate will make sure that is the person on duty when you go into labor... and now I have to add that if you dislike one person in the whole birthing center then that is the person who will end up trying to take over your birth! At 8 weeks I met an OB I hated, I mean I despised this guy with a passion, but then I switched to the midwife group at my hospital and everything was hunky-dory. Fast forward to my labor: of the dozen OBs at that hospital, who do you think was on call when my baby went into distress and my midwives needed a doc? Yeah. I will not give birth at that hospital again, even though my midwives are stellar, because I refuse to let that man touch me a second time.

itiswhatitis1984 10-09-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
I would also ask how many ultrasounds they require and how they generally deliver the placenta (some horror stories from other moms on here made the placenta question a new standard for me).

I would also want to at least meet the OBs who are at the birthing center or hospital you could be transferred to if things go wrong. I always heard that if you dislike one person in your midwife group then fate will make sure that is the person on duty when you go into labor... and now I have to add that if you dislike one person in the whole birthing center then that is the person who will end up trying to take over your birth! At 8 weeks I met an OB I hated, I mean I despised this guy with a passion, but then I switched to the midwife group at my hospital and everything was hunky-dory. Fast forward to my labor: of the dozen OBs at that hospital, who do you think was on call when my baby went into distress and my midwives needed a doc? Yeah. I will not give birth at that hospital again, even though my midwives are stellar, because I refuse to let that man touch me a second time.

I agree with fate and ending up with the dr/midwife you don't like. There's a dr at my current Obgyn practice that I don't really care for and another dr who is pushy with what she thinks should be done (epidurals and stuff like that). That being said even if I feel like that a little with one of the midwives I'm probably still better off. My sil delivered her last two with them. The first was the delivery she wanted and the second she had to be transferred to the hospital. This midwife group is pretty well known and recommended. I just want to make sure I don't miss something big.