Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wash routine with Gain (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451862)

ArmyWifeBethany 10-08-2012 05:54 PM

Wash routine with Gain

I've been using Gain, and it's been great at cleaning our diapers. However, whenever my LO pees or poops, the diapers smell so strongly of detergent!! I'm using up to line 2 for every diaper load and we have mostly PUL covers and flats. Should I be using less? The smell is just nauseating!
FYI, We have a top loader and extremely hard water.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Yianna79 10-08-2012 06:22 PM

Re: Wash routine with Gain

Try using less, add calgon water softener and do a third rinse and see if that works

ArmyWifeBethany 10-09-2012 01:48 PM

BUMP! I ran about 4 rinse cycles last night...and everything still reeks of detergent. It smells great and all...but it's way overpowering! I'm thinking it might be time to try something without a scent. Any suggestions? I prefer something you can buy at Target or Walmart that works well with hard water.

alaskamum 10-09-2012 01:52 PM

I like Tide Free & Gentle powder in a top loader, but I did find that it worked better with some Oxyclean Free. My diapers never smelled like anything, even night diapers first thing in the morning.

Kabuki24 10-09-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyWifeBethany (Post 15789991)
BUMP! I ran about 4 rinse cycles last night...and everything still reeks of detergent. It smells great and all...but it's way overpowering! I'm thinking it might be time to try something without a scent. Any suggestions? I prefer something you can buy at Target or Walmart that works well with hard water.

I don't have hard water, but I've been using Gain Free (well, sort of, Target's generic detergent says it's generic for gain) and it's been working fine. And I'm really bad, I just dump it in without measuring. No scent though what-so-ever.

bigmamakelsey 10-09-2012 02:25 PM

I'm no expert on hard water, but if you're just washing flats I'd use way less, like to line 1, and an extra rinse.

ArmyWifeBethany 10-09-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey
I'm no expert on hard water, but if you're just washing flats I'd use way less, like to line 1, and an extra rinse.

Good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

CAaddict 10-10-2012 07:57 AM

I use Gain only to the one line, plus OxyClean. I do an extra rinse after the full wash cycle and find everything comes out clean-smelling but not reeking of detergent.
I love Gain because I can get it at Costco :)