Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bestbottom trainers vs Flip trainers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451873)

ServingHim 10-08-2012 07:33 PM

Bestbottom trainers vs Flip trainers

Of those that have tried both systems. Which do you prefer and why?

It is time for us to find a trainer for our 2.5 yr old. I only need it for day use. Thanks!

And how many do you suggest for a beginner?

TrennaII 10-08-2012 09:33 PM

Re: Bestbottom trainers vs Flip trainers

I really, really, really don't like either. Sorry!

Best Bottoms is a fantastic idea, but the legs have no elastic. If you look at the size charts, each one is only "rated" for a quarter inch change in thigh size (for instance, the Medium is rated for a thigh of 14-14.25"). Since there is no elastic, my son (who had 14" thighs and wore the Medium) said they hurt because they pinched at the top of his thigh, and at the same time they gapped in the crotch.

The Best Bottoms inserts do wash better because they aren't as thick, but they also don't absorb as much. I was surprised at how much they held, and we lasted through some important situations with 2 inserts in and a full accident (they aren't made for this but it worked OK).

Our Best Bottoms all fell apart too, within a few days of buying them. The stitching gave way. The side seam is sewn in a way that unravels easily, and has a rough bulky seam right at the top of the leg.

They did pull up and down really well though! Daycare liked them, except they said to not tuck the insert under the flap. The flap does indeed hang down too far for a boy, so the pant doesn't stay clean as much as you would hope.

I love my Flip covers and really wanted to like the Flip trainers but they failed us in the most important areas: Laundry drama and pull-up-and-down-ability. The snaps let go when LO tries to pull them up or down, and the insert gets bunched up or even comes undone. And I just can't stand trying to wash thick cotton jersey inserts.

So I guess it's a matter of what's important to you?

-- Pull up and down: Best Bottoms Win

-- Fit: Flips win, Best Bottoms win for a few kids and fail badly for a lot

-- Washable: Best Bottoms

-- Holds a lot: Flips

-- The Kid really registers that diaper stage is over and these are underpants: Best Bottoms

I honestly wouldn't recommend either, but I also don't have a good recommendation in that price range! (I have a thread out there begging for suggestions though!)

ServingHim 10-08-2012 09:49 PM

Thank you so much for your response! I was worried about a lot of the things you mentioned. I guess I will keep looking.

organicmama10 10-10-2012 10:12 PM

Totally agree with Trenna on the Best Bottom trainers! We bought one to try because we've been happy with their diapers. The seams fell apart after a few times....I don't find them to be the best of quality. We did invest in the Blueberry trainers and we LOVE them! Super soft and comfy and holds quite a bit. It doesn't seem to bother our ds when he's wet?? Well, we're working on it but we have had #2 done for almost a year now! yay!!

Kencke 10-10-2012 10:58 PM

I love flip trainer

Hellux 10-11-2012 01:05 AM

^^^ What makes you love them?

wforenberry 02-15-2013 07:17 PM

Thanks for this post I am just starting out with the training pants.. such good info

rchamberlain 02-15-2013 07:32 PM

We use padfolded flats in our Flip covers and just snap them loosely around the waist. They pull up and down fine and as long as we have pants over them, they stay up.

You can also just use your normal diaper covers over undies, though it won't hold a ton, it's great for the later stages of learning.

Pixi6s 02-15-2013 08:01 PM

We were looking for nighttime so we didn't try the best bottom feel wet inserts, the pants are okay. They run really small. I needed to get a 4T for my 2.5 year old where 2T pants. We were trying to use the diaper inserts but I don't really think it matters.

The flip trainers I don't get either. How can you pull up something with front snaps? Having it tight enough to not gap at the legs causes at least one rise snap to come undone everytime - maybe for daytime you wouldn't have as tight? We had it on the middle rise and one side on the looser setting and the other side on the tigher. He was in 3T pants by the time we tried these.

We skipped daytime trainers. I have a flip trainer cover and 4T bb trainer cover to sell with no inserts. I have a feel wet Snap EZ AIO - daytime, large. I have an antsy pants 3t-4T -- many of these have one been used once and didn't work for nighttime for us.

Alaga 02-15-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by organicmama10
Totally agree with Trenna on the Best Bottom trainers! We bought one to try because we've been happy with their diapers. The seams fell apart after a few times....I don't find them to be the best of quality. We did invest in the Blueberry trainers and we LOVE them! Super soft and comfy and holds quite a bit. It doesn't seem to bother our ds when he's wet?? Well, we're working on it but we have had #2 done for almost a year now! yay!!

Also had quality problems with the Best Bottoms, and LOVED the Blueberry trainers! Now that DD has outgrown our Blueberry trainers we're using Gerber trainers and they work well (and pull up/down easily). Don't hold much of an accident though.