Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   8 mth old vomiting, wwyd? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451888)

solarbabies 10-08-2012 07:38 PM

8 mth old vomiting, wwyd?

Ok here is the layout of what has happened the best that my scrambled, tired brain can do.

yesterday
6:30pm-bedtime. Drank about 2oz at bed (usually 6-8) didn't know he was sick yet.

Today
2am-woke up choking on his vomit. Tried to give bottle, pushed it away. Up every hr or so throwing up.

9am-called doc, gave symptoms, decided to drive in for a check

10:30am doc appt. Doc checked for dehydration. Said he was ok for now, give him a tbsp of heavy syrup off of canned fruit, let his tummy rest for an hr then offer 1 oz formula at a time every half hr for a few hrs. then offer full bottle.

Followed doc recs. He had the syrup around 11:30. Refused milk until about 2pm. Then had about 6 oz with the 1 oz every half hr (last 2 were 2oz each)

6:30pm offered full bottle. Giggling at daddy and acting much better.

7pm bed.

7:20pm...throwing up again :cry:

Now he has thrown up twice since we put him down about 40 mins ago. He is so tired...as soon as we clean him up he is falling asleep again. He has been extremely calm and cuddly all day, not like him at all.

Doc said to call back if he wasn't holding stuff down by the afternoon. Well, he did hold down the 1 oz bottles, so he has had some fluids. He has had (and held down) about 6oz of formula in the last 26 hrs. He has peed 1 time that I know of and had diarreah 1 time around 3pm today.

When would you worry? What should I do?? I am lost! We are an hr from the doc and a hospital. I just need advice, I am worried about my sweet boy!

ajane 10-08-2012 07:53 PM

Re: 8 mth old vomiting, wwyd?

I would not have done the heavy syrup. Strange recommendation for me. I wouldn't worry about giving him formula, b/c it is really thick and can upset the tummy even more. For dehydration, I would try to give little bits of water every 20min or so. Offer the bottle a lot less than you normally would, but if he isn't interested don't push it. If he is still vomiting, he still has the bug and is trying to get it out of his system.

None of my kids want to eat when they are vomiting and I don't push food since it will just come back up again. I keep giving them small amounts of water at a time and when they feel like eating then I feed them.

solarbabies 10-08-2012 07:55 PM

I am so conflicted. He said the heavy syrup would help calm his tummy...the sugar would help.

And is water the same for babies as it is for bigger kids? I mean, he never has just water...would it mess with his electrolyte balance and such?

ajane 10-08-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarbabies (Post 15787223)
I am so conflicted. He said the heavy syrup would help calm his tummy...the sugar would help.

And is water the same for babies as it is for bigger kids? I mean, he never has just water...would it mess with his electrolyte balance and such?

Well, I guess I can see that then. For the older girls I give them flat Coke b/c of the syrup.....it calms their stomach, but it has to be Coke not Pepsi. I just wouldn't give it to a baby. When mine were babies (under a year old) I never gave them anything to calm their stomach.

No, it will help so he doesn't dehydrate. If you were nursing I would just recommend that but it is formula, so I wouldn't be giving him a lot as it will upset his tummy until he can handle it. It is a lot thicker.

It seems as though you are "starving" him, but really his body isn't able or ready to digest a lot right now.

Hope he feels better soon!:goodvibes: It is no fun to have a sick baby. :(

Teexie 10-08-2012 08:02 PM

Nothing sadder than a sick baby :(
Wanted to share this Dr. Sears site, really put my mind at ease when we went through a stomach virus with my DD. Lots of good info. Hope your LO is feeling better soon!
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/chi...esses/vomiting

Kimmyann 10-08-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarbabies (Post 15787223)

The heavy syrup found in canned fruit has an anti-emetic (anti-nausea) effect. When my son was a baby we did this as well. Also pedialyte helped to keep from dehydration.

Years ago when I was a kid they used to have kids drink the Coke syrup. It used to come in a dark brown bottle at the pharmacy. It was a thick liquid and it did work.

Hands&Fire Pottery 10-08-2012 08:05 PM

No harm in calling- it would ease my mind to do so-

solarbabies 10-08-2012 08:12 PM

Thank you for the link. So...the biggest concern I think is the fact that he has only peed 1 time in over 24 hrs. Should that alone signal me to be alarmed? Or that combined with other signs of severe dehydration? He did get pretty pale this afternoon, but color did return. He has tears when crying and has saliva in his mouth.

solarbabies 10-08-2012 08:12 PM

I don't have have a clue how to call now...the office is closed.

Teexie 10-08-2012 08:20 PM

When did he last pee?