Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Going pat 41 weeks...really dangerous? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451915)

jojoreta 10-08-2012 09:18 PM

Going pat 41 weeks...really dangerous?

My mw told me today that it has been proven that going past 41 weeks is now thought to be just as dangerous as once thought going past 42 weeks was. She told me I am high risk for a stillborn but told me it was up to me.

I have had 2 nst's, one ultrasound, and bp is always fine. Fluid perfect, baby perfect, so do I really need to worry. I'm 41+2 and had my membranes stripped for the second time today. Last Monday/Tuesday I lost my mucus plug but haven't had any real cntx since then, other than today...I also got acupuncture done today as well. She isn't totally pressuring me to be induced but I do feel like scare tactics are kind of being thrown around.

Also, can they tell how aged the placenta is by an u/s?

**not so patiently waiting for baby #3 to arrive**

bigmamakelsey 10-08-2012 09:27 PM

Re: Going pat 41 weeks...really dangerous?

I'd like to see some sources on that, because I don't really think it sounds that accurate. If a baby was postmature at 41 weeks, they would make that "the max," not 42. I think even a little over 42 is ok as long as everything is looking good.

megenic 10-08-2012 09:30 PM

I went to 42 weeks with my first and everything was fine. They induced me right at 42 weeks. For the last week I was having ultrasounds every couple of days to check fluid levels and everything else. I would also like to see accurate sources about this

jackyl08 10-08-2012 09:34 PM

My OB told me the same thing exactly.

jojoreta 10-09-2012 05:43 AM

I go back today, should I ask her where I can find this study? I'vw googled but I'm not seeing anything that is in my face proven. Sure you always have risks but when my mw tells me this I should be able to find good hard facts. Right?

ashley84 10-09-2012 05:58 AM

I went to 42+2 with DS. I was basically being forced into an induction at 42+3. My MW cited a study that proved the risks outweighed the benefits of staying pregnant after 41+3. (I do not have this info.) Nevertheless, they were willing to let me go to 42 weeks. They didn't care much for my choice to stay pregnant beyond that. As I said above, 42+3 was to be my absolute limit. They had me do a bunch of NSTs, an ultrasound, and I can't even remember what else after I went overdue. I was charting, so I am sure of my dates. DS came out with the classic signs of being overdue.

Mack 10-09-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojoreta
My mw told me today that it has been proven that going past 41 weeks is now thought to be just as dangerous as once thought going past 42 weeks was. She told me I am high risk for a stillborn but told me it was up to me.

I have had 2 nst's, one ultrasound, and bp is always fine. Fluid perfect, baby perfect, so do I really need to worry. I'm 41+2 and had my membranes stripped for the second time today. Last Monday/Tuesday I lost my mucus plug but haven't had any real cntx since then, other than today...I also got acupuncture done today as well. She isn't totally pressuring me to be induced but I do feel like scare tactics are kind of being thrown around.

Also, can they tell how aged the placenta is by an u/s?

I think they look at the size/shape of the placenta to determine its health.

waterisntsomething 10-09-2012 07:47 AM

That sounds like a scare tactic. I had DS at home at 41 weeks and 4 days. She actually told me that if my NSTs continued to look good there was no big deal really about going past 42 weeks...she just couldn't deliver a homebirth for me after 42 weeks b/c of liability reasons.

z2akids 10-09-2012 07:53 AM

It is all about risk. There will be babies that do just fine at 42 weeks and those who are post dates at 40 weeks. Just because individual babies do fine does not change the overall increased risk as each day passes. Until baby is delivered, there is no way to know for certain whether that specific baby will beat the odds or not.

jenndoxx 10-09-2012 09:41 AM

Your midwife is a professional and should know the standard of care with respect to pregnancy past 41 weeks. I'm sure since she's still your midwife at 41 weeks along, you trust her expertise to help you make informed decisions about your pregnancy. If she's being wishy-washy or unclear with you, tell her she's confusing you and you need her to be clear about the risks and her specific recommendation.

FWIW, I was pregnant to 41 weeks both times and my doctor said the same thing your midwife said.

Good luck with your upcoming delivery, mama!