Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bee sting - how long for swellig what is normal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451921)

lalaura 10-08-2012 09:54 PM

Bee sting - how long for swellig what is normal?

Poor DD1 stepped on a bee (again she did it at age 3 too). Her foot is incredibly swollen and red. This happened yesterday in the afternoon. How long is this going to last? We talked to an advice nurse this AM and they said as long as no fever red lines up her leg or stomach ache she didn't need to go in.

I'm just so concerned about the swellig. :/

please excuse craziness - I am on my phone

lalaura 10-08-2012 09:55 PM

Here's a picture from this afternoon

Attachment 121385

please excuse craziness - I am on my phone

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 10-08-2012 10:24 PM

Re: Bee sting - how long for swellig what is normal?

oh goodness!! Did you put mud on it when it first happened? I'm sorry I would take her in, she maybe having an allergic reaction or something, I have never seen swelling like that from a bee sting.:hugs:

megs715 10-08-2012 10:46 PM

I'd take her in too. I'm a nurse (though not a pediatric one) and I've never seen swelling like that from a sting either. Better safe than sorry.

Bhavana 10-09-2012 01:34 AM

I wouldnt rush to the ER yet, because that's how badly a bee sting will swell. I've been stung on the foot too, and it did swell that much. My mom got stung once on her ankle and MY! You could say she'd elephantiasis!

The swelling will subside in a day or two..obviously you know that. You should take more pics though-she could show them to her friends.

BellaPepper 10-09-2012 01:52 AM

Make a paste out of baking soda and water and apply a thick coat to the entire swollen area. Also give her a dose of children's Benadryl. No need to go to the doctor unless she had signs of anaphylaxis.

jbug_4 10-09-2012 04:23 AM

Bee stings on the foot can swell pretty badly. When I was stung on my foot (in between my toes) I couldn't wear a regular shoe for close to a week. Its painful too. I do have bad swelling reactions to bee stings so that is a little longer than most people. She will be swollen for a few days and than its going to itch like hades. The foot is a really bad place for a sting. And I agree if localized swelling is the only symptom don't worry about it. She should have some localized pain and omg the itching is horrible. But it will all be localized.

mommyinthesun 10-09-2012 05:48 AM

DDs hand swelled up when she got stung on her finger. Benadryl helps a good bit :)

TwinKristi 10-09-2012 02:57 PM

Benadryl for sure, but watch it closely. 2 of my boys have had weird reactions to bee stings, one ended up in the ER and the other had a couple trips to the Ped for it. It started swelling like that and on day 3 he couldn't walk and it started blistering, turning purple and got a streak. He was on abx and steroids for a week.
The last one said his throat was funny and he couldn't breathe right and we had to rush him to the ER, got steroids, Benadryl and Pepcid. He has an epi-pen now and we keep Benadryl with us and at school. Also had a week of steroids for his too.
I would also just consider them allergic to bee stings. It may have been this way this time, but next time could be completely different and fatal.