Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What are the pros of fitteds? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451936)

babykanani 10-09-2012 12:41 AM

What are the pros of fitteds?

Hi Mamas,

I`m new to CD and was wondering what the pros of fitted diapers are?

Thanks for your help :giggle:

RockinLou 10-09-2012 01:51 AM

Re: What are the pros of fitteds?

for me it is the breathability of natural fibers, especially under wool, without the need to get a prefold or flat on just right. Elastic at the legs, snaps at the waist, wool cover- easy, breathable, chemical free rash solution for me!
I didn't get it with my daughter, but i never diapered her as a newborn and DS is far more rash prone than she was thanks to his extra picky fruitarian diet, and now I have enough fitteds to do just fitteds and wool full time for 2 days, that and my GroVia hybrids are all I have anymore!

Lagoon Baby 10-09-2012 02:18 AM

Like what the previous poster said- the big one for me is also breathability ( when paired with wool)- especially over night. Also, fitteds are generally very thirsty- as the whole diaper is absorbent.

babykanani 10-09-2012 05:50 AM

Thanks so much for the answers! So far I just use pockets and they claim to be breathable, but I was never a big fan of the PUL. I just bought some kissaluvs and will try them out for the nights. Do cotton covers do the trick too? I live in Hawai`i and wool might be too hot...

bcb1961 10-09-2012 06:49 AM

Cotton covers aren't water resistant like wool (and fleece) are. I don't use wool but I think it will be cooler than PUL no matter where you are.

Minniebees 10-09-2012 07:34 AM

Like the other posters, I like to use wool. I also find that a fitted under a PUL cover is more bullet proof than an AIO or a pocket. And around the house I can just use fitteds without covers, especially in warm weather and change when they feel damp. And I think they are cuter, too. I get tired of the same PUL solid colors over and over.

babykanani 10-09-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minniebees (Post 15788180)
Like the other posters, I like to use wool. I also find that a fitted under a PUL cover is more bullet proof than an AIO or a pocket. And around the house I can just use fitteds without covers, especially in warm weather and change when they feel damp. And I think they are cuter, too. I get tired of the same PUL solid colors over and over.

Using them around the house without any cover sounds great! I think the fitteds are cuter too. Ok, I`ll have to look into wool covers now...will I ever stop buying cloth diapers lol?!? It`s so much fun though!

olstep 10-09-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babykanani (Post 15788025)
Do cotton covers do the trick too? I live in Hawai`i and wool might be too hot...

Cotton covers don't, I do not think so. Wool is NOT hot. Somebody did a comparison test a while ago and measured the temperature under PUL diaper, wool and fleece. The lowest temperature was under wool cover, then fleece, then PUL.
But even knowing that, I still reach for fleece more often than for wool. :)
I'll see if I can find that thread.

olstep 10-09-2012 01:48 PM

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...UL+WOOL+FLEECE

Lammy 10-09-2012 02:37 PM

I live in AR and in the summer it gets to be 115 degrees here for at least a month or so- and that's the actual temperature not the heat index. Pair it with 100% humidity and it is horrible. That said, we use fitteds or flats paired with wool nonstop through summer. It is the only thing that keeps my son's bottom cool enough so he doesn't get a heat rash.Plus, my kid is a super soaker and it's the only combo he can't pee out of at night.