Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   but I dont like to read... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451939)

AZmommy 10-09-2012 01:02 AM

but I dont like to read...

Its soooooo hard to get my 9 year old to read. She claims she doesn't like to read.. However
1) she reads well she reads at least on grade level probably a few years above so the simple act of reading is not hard

2) she LOVES hearing books I read to her a lot she does books on tape a lot, all fine and good way to still expose her to good literature etc but reading is also good

3) EVERYTIME I have insisted that she read she has enjoyed it EVERY darn time, yet its still this constant battle..

Honestly I'm also convienced she has just decided it some "cool" thing to say she doesn't like to read.. Like she hears it from her friends then repeats it to me...

Still she needs to be reading gobs more than she does now I'm tired of the whinning and acting like I'm making her do some awful task. I dont really care what as long as its age appropiate. but all I get is how much how long and she will stall and whine and do as little as possible.

rverrone11 10-09-2012 01:22 AM

Re: but I dont like to read...

Do you have a set time for independent reading every day? Maybe set a 30 minute block of time every day and have that be her reading time. Does your little one still nap? I was thinking that if she did, you can set the reading time during that time and you can read as well (setting an example while getting in some reading of your own).

ETA: You wouldn't have to start out with 30 minutes. You can start out with 5 minutes if that's all she can handle and build up from there. Once you reach the desired time, keep it at that, and have her do it every day. Then she doesn't have to ask "how much", "how long", etc. She will just know. I doubt that will stop all the whining, but it's a start at getting her into reading every day.

AZmommy 10-09-2012 02:48 AM

yes we do have a set time she still spends the whole time saying how much how long drives me batty.. A nap with my toddler is kinda hit or miss these days but she does see me reading a ton same with DH so she is well exposed and again we read to her a lot. Its jsut getting her to read.

keysersoze 10-09-2012 06:06 AM

have you tried a variety of genres? (graphic novels, magazines, different types of fiction, nonfiction, etc.?)

have you asked her what it is about reading she doesn't like?

Pampered Mama 10-09-2012 06:14 AM

I would set a timer- that way there is no excuse for asking how much longer!

ambersrose 10-09-2012 07:01 AM

To help a child gain the love of learning I have read over and over that you must let them read what ever they want with no expectation that they will be tested on the material read. Magazines/comics/novels, whatever they want. Also they should see their parents reading for fun regularly. My 8 year old loves to be read too even though she can read and I have been told this is totally fine. A lot of upper elementary teachers read to their students in class.

TJR2119 10-09-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampered Mama (Post 15788042)

:werd:

I read to the kids before bedtime almost every single night. I haven't set aside a designated reading time for them to read alone yet because they pick up books throughout the day and read. Well ds reads and dd "reads."

abunchoflemons 10-09-2012 08:33 AM

My 7 yr old, we have had to make an assignment 4 her to read. She does well & if not really listening will just look at pics & not her bigger books. If reading to little sis then ok 4 youngerveasier books. We have tried to get her opinion on what she likes so maybe she will read by self.

AZmommy 10-09-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keysersoze (Post 15788036)
have you tried a variety of genres? (graphic novels, magazines, different types of fiction, nonfiction, etc.?)

have you asked her what it is about reading she doesn't like?

yes she tend st to gravitate more towards like how to books or non fiction stuff which is totally fine with me, once she gets reading about something she gets into it pretty well, but she still fusses and fights every other moment and wont ever do it on her own.

She jsut tells me its not her thing.. as far as her reasoning.

AZmommy 10-09-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampered Mama (Post 15788042)

we do it does nothing to help the whinning or how long questions.