Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Help for a pumping mom... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451964)

elizabeth.scalf 10-09-2012 06:44 AM

Help for a pumping mom...

DH's cousin is due in Dec. I looked at her baby registry and she has a double electric pump as well as some of the accessories (bags, bottles). I'm so excited that she's planning on breastfeeding, I was really concerned that her sister had talked her out of it (she's very anti-breastfeeding).

I'm going to get her the pump for her upcoming shower. I've never pumped with any of my own babies , so I don't know what else is important to get or know about pumping. Are there books I can get for her? What accessories are necessary? I really want her to succeed in this, so help me figure out what I can do for her to make it as easy as possible!

Van1300 10-14-2012 03:48 PM

Re: Help for a pumping mom...

Is she going to work out of the home? If so, maybe get her a copy of the laws regarding nursing and employers for her state. It helps so much if she can talk to her employers before hand to start a good relationship on the subject.

She can use a nursing cover to pump also. And a cooler with a reusable ice bag is really helpful for transporting. Snacks and/or a nice water bottle to use while pumping would be great too.

kocho 10-14-2012 03:54 PM

I'm a breastfeeding counselor and I a lot of my moms that pump recomend pumping bras that hold the flanges in place so your hands are free.

I think support is the main thing she will need, especially if she has a naysayer in the family!!

crunchymom2b 10-14-2012 05:00 PM

extra flanges!!!! Quick clean wipes if she'll be working and/or pumping awayfrom home a lot.

ashley84 10-15-2012 03:00 PM

I can never get enough bags. I go through them so quickly. When I pumped for DS, I was often pumping on the go. It was very nice to have a battery pack for my pump so I didn't have to be glued to an outlet. I pumped while driving all the time. I used a nursing cover. I had a cooler and a bunch of ice packs.

I would also say something to her about checking with her health insurance to see if they will cover a pump. Often, insurance companies will pay for all or at least some of the cost. It's always worth checking into.

ashley84 10-15-2012 03:01 PM

Also, LilyPadz are seriously the most amazing breastfeeding-related invention EVER. Check into those. I LOVE them.

ashley84 10-15-2012 03:05 PM

Oh, another another good idea for a breastfeeding-related gift is a copy the LLL book, "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding".

shortcake2386 10-15-2012 03:17 PM

cleaning wipes, lanolin, extra parts, ice packs cooler....maybe extra bottles instead of bags. i dont pump any extra to feed, just keep milk in bottles in the fridge and i run short on bottles sometimes.

sandy_dandy 10-16-2012 06:16 AM

The Nursing Mother's Companion is a really helpful book, especially if she's not getting BF support from her family. Otherwise, breast milk storage bags, the sterilizing bags for the microwave, and an extra set of accessories might be nice.

I didn't use a hands-free bra. Just wore my regular nursing bra to work and used hair ties to hook the pump horns onto my nursing clips until the suction got going. Cheap and easy!

loni1090 10-17-2012 10:31 PM

Are there any le leche leagues close by? Also, hopefully she has a good lactation consultant in the hospital. Some hospitals have nursing classes, but I do not know how good those are