Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Military Care Packages - need ideas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451994)

naomi's mama 10-09-2012 08:43 AM

Military Care Packages - need ideas

Hi. I've been blessed to be able to donate to charity over the years and this year, I'd like to send some military care packages to deployed military overseas, in addition to just cash donations.

I never really knew anyone in the military until recently and have learned to really appreciate what sacrifices and the type of lifestyle military families go through, esp. in these recent times with the wars.

Anyhow, I'd like to make about 25 care packages to send to deployed military. What should I include in it? I heard they appreciate sunflower seeds, M&Ms, ramen (since lines are long sometimes it's easier just to make it), what else?

Also, I only know a handful of people. Where can I take the stuff so that it gets sent? To a local military recruiting office?

mebl0901 10-09-2012 08:53 AM

Re: Military Care Packages - need ideas

I just sent one recently and here's what I sent:

beef jerky
almonds
chips in cans - pringles, fritos, doritos
Mio energy
gatordate powder
men's magazine
crunchy granola bars
starburst and skittle candies
ramen
deodarant
soap
shampoo
sandwich crackers

I ended up putting it into two boxes because I got carried away buying stuff. :giggle: I sent it to a friend's husband and that's what she said he likes. I was told not to send anything that could melt (like M&Ms) but since it's getting cooler, it might be ok? I still probably wouldn't do it though.

Other things I hear soliders like to get are

puzzle books, games, cards, etc
any kind of books or magazines (within reason - something young people would be interested in!)
baby wipes
razor/shaving cream
toys - I've read that families or friends send things to them so they can be silly and prank each other

There was another thread on here not too long ago and had tons of great ideas. Hope other mamas have more insight.

Only 10-09-2012 08:58 AM

Q-tips, baby wipes, the one use tooth brushes can't remember the name, beef jerky, gum, candy, homemade cookies or baked goods (put a piece of bread in the container to keep them soft) socks, hand warmers.

I know there's a program where you can send care packages to troops though I can't remember the name.

My brother is currently deployed and probably knows people in need of packages of you can't find anyone to donate to.

We send him tons of packages and he usually ends up sharing since there's quite a few guys who don't receive anything.

PBAki 10-09-2012 09:15 AM

GUM BALLS.

They love it :) I know when my father was deployed he couldn't keep them from disappearing :giggle: We sent boxes of gum balls I remember.

AnimalHouse 10-09-2012 09:23 AM

Great ideas already! DH's favorite "necessity" items to get in a care package were baby wipes, foot cream (antifungal), and baby powder.

Wanderlust 10-09-2012 10:19 AM

One of my DH's favorite items to get were those dinty moore or similar microwave meals that don't need refrigeration. Sometimes DH worked 24 hour shifts downrange and wasn't able to get to the chow hall.

stephbrown13 10-09-2012 10:21 AM

The company I work for sends care packages to the military. I think we are over 11,000 right now! Anyways, you don't want to send chocolates or things that can melt. Use the flat rate priority boxes. Things people request over and over are baby wipes, powder, socks, toiletries, canned goods, dog treats.

Teexie 10-09-2012 11:03 AM

First of all, you are awesome :) So many people are oblivious to the fact that there is still a war going on.

Food! That is always a favorite. Anything prepackaged and nonperishable. Letters from kids, if you have access to a classroom of first graders or something. Those are hilarious. If you know the unit they are going to, send toys to pass out to local kids if they interact with them a lot. Any new release movies or video games. Don't forget the ladies...hair elastics and good smelling body wash :) Amazon or itunes or AAFES gift cards.

I'd stay away from anything that is usually a personal preference... a lot of boxes of things like cheap razors, deodorant, etc. that are received from organizations go to waste, unfortunately.

armywife2002 10-09-2012 07:10 PM

baby wipes are always good, lol..hmmm.... my ex always liked tuna/mayo/relish and crackers, but he had a fridge to keep the big jars in.... slim jims, gum, chocolate would be good, now that its starting to cool down. he loved it when i made home made brownies, id send like 8 pans to share, lol... gift cards are always great, especially for online stuff or aafes like PP mentioned

ProudMomma 10-09-2012 07:52 PM

I used anysoldier.com a lot when I was sending. Each unit that requests packages will also tell you what they need there so it helps quite a bit.