Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   apple cider vinegar for conditioner? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452011)

gigismomma 10-09-2012 09:35 AM

apple cider vinegar for conditioner?

Please do tell! I was reading another thread and it sounds like several people use this for a hair conditioner.

Does it really work? Does your hair smell like vinegar?
Dumb question, but how do you apply it? Do you keep a squirt bottle in the shower or something and just squirt it on your head? (Maybe I am uncoordinated, but it is hard for me to apply something really liquid-y to my hair using the cup of my hand) How much do you use?

Thanks!

MamaJules 10-09-2012 11:22 AM

Re: apple cider vinegar for conditioner?

I tried doing the whole no-poo thing (baking soda instead of shampoo, acv instead of conditioner, and it just did not work at all for me. So I tried going back to regular shampoo and sticking with the acv, and it works great for me. It makes my hair super soft. I keep the acv in the little squirt bottle I got at the hospital when I gave birth. I squirt a little bit (maybe 3 Tb. or so?) into a plastic cup, and fill the rest of the cup with water, then pour over my head. I wash my face, then rinse my hair. There is a very faint smell while my hair is wet, but I can only smell it if I really try. When my hair dries, there is no vinegar smell at all.

GEM Cloth 10-09-2012 04:32 PM

It does work, really well! Your hair will smell like vinegar until it dries. (Vinegar has a very "clear" smell and completely disappears once it is dry.) I keep a bottle of apple cider vinegar in the shower and pour a little over my head. My girls do this too.

harmoni247 10-09-2012 04:55 PM

I tried it and used a peri bottle (saved the bottle from my birth). I don't really know if it worked because I wouldn't stick with it....in the less than a week I used it, my hair was no softer. The smell absolutely did NOT dry out of my hair. It stuck. Pungently.

CMamma 10-10-2012 06:43 PM

I do the baking soda for my hair. Tried the ACV but it didn't really do anything for me. These days I stick with just the baking soda & I use coconut oil for my hair - acts as a conditioner & anti-frizz serum. Occasionally, I'll use a few eggs on my hair as a deep conditioning treatment, but I'm generally too lazy or forgetful to carry the eggs up to the shower with me :)

Kozmom 10-16-2012 01:43 PM

I can't wait to try this!

corinne76 11-06-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMamma (Post 15795824)
I do the baking soda for my hair. Tried the ACV but it didn't really do anything for me. These days I stick with just the baking soda & I use coconut oil for my hair - acts as a conditioner & anti-frizz serum. Occasionally, I'll use a few eggs on my hair as a deep conditioning treatment, but I'm generally too lazy or forgetful to carry the eggs up to the shower with me :)

I'm glad I found this. I was doing the baking soad thing for about a week but my hair just didn't feel clean. Maybe it was in my head ???
Anyway, I switched to Chagrin Valley poo bars and I like them. I still do the ACV rinse, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. I was thinking of quitting it and just using coconut oil after I get out of the shower (which I do anyway).

kdzb243 11-26-2012 06:45 PM

From what I understand, most people use 1 tbs to 1 cup of water either squirted or poured over your head in the shower. You can choose to rinse out or not. I've only done it a couple times (just transitioning to no-poo after being low-poo for a long time) but I like how it feels in my hair. No big smell left afterward either. I think like most things, it's just trial and error to figure out what works for you.

kcannon 11-26-2012 09:03 PM

I use a squeeze bottle like what you would use to apply hair color. I squirt some on my hair and then run the tip of the bottle through my scalp. I use a small amount, and make sure to rinse it thoroughly so there is no smell left over. My hair is super soft and shiny!

aaiya 11-29-2012 11:27 AM

I have a very sensitive nose and even after rinsing well I could still smell it after it dried (and I HATE the smell of vinegar so it was a no-go for me).
After trying no-poo and LOTS of different shampoo options, I finally found what works for me. I'm down to using non-SLS-shampoo and conditioner every 6 days now (with NO head-wetting on the off days) and that's working great for me.