Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Somebody introduce me to Flats...please? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452016)

Katiebug_1976 10-09-2012 09:49 AM

Somebody introduce me to Flats...please?

I have only used prefolds/covers & pocket diapers, but I am hearing alot about flats on this board. So...for a newborn would you choose flats or prefolds? Tell me all the pros/cons, please.

Teexie 10-09-2012 10:39 AM

Re: Somebody introduce me to Flats...please?

I would choose flats, mostly because they air dry way faster than prefolds. They are also easier to conform to baby...if baby is super chunky or super skinny, you are better able to customize the fold, fit, etc. And I don't know if this is true for everyone, but for me they seem to get clean easier...I still use them to stuff my toddler's pockets. I have a very basic wash routine and I haven't had any stink or staining issues at all since I got rid of everything else we was using.

itiswhatitis1984 10-09-2012 10:52 AM

I am due the end of march and I am going to be using flats. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to figure out the folding part so what I did was buy flour sack towels at Walmart. You can get 2 for $2. That way you can try the folds. I wasn't able to get the folds figured out from still pics on websites but I found some good videos on YouTube. I was originally going to buy infant prefolds but I couldn't justify spending money on those for that short period of time when I could get flats and use them birth through going on the potty.

nonipie 10-09-2012 11:03 AM

I really like both but if I had to choose I would do flats. Super trim and I find equally absorbent. Plus they really are a birth to PLing diaper. My newbie is wearing a small DR flat right now and its pretty trim. My DD was able to wear them pad folded in pockets until she PLed. Also easy to clean.

Diaper Safari 10-09-2012 11:06 AM

I'm on the other side -- I personally prefer prefolds on a tiny newborn because when using a Snappi or Boingos I feel like it's easier to fold a tiny prefold around a baby than to do all the crazy flat folding required to get it that small. As babies get bigger and the poop containment is less of an issue, I love flats when they're pad folded in a cover. Personal preference I guess! :)

keonli 10-09-2012 11:25 AM

I used prefolds with my first (starting at 7 months), but with my second, I am using mostly flats. After reading the multiple flats threads on here, I figured this would be the best option for us.

My reason for relying on flats are varied.

-Less drying time (we are a dryer free family)
-cost (super cheap if you buy flour sacks or reuse t-shirts, receiving blankets)
-simplicity (after baby #1, I've realized I don't need all that fancy stuff)
-versatility with the folds
-durability (can use from newborn until potty training)
-easier to clean (less layers, less issues with a wash routine)

I did buy a few pockets, however, to make it easier on DH and anyone else who might be watching our newbie.

I purchased flour sacks and have been practicing folds in the meantime. You can also simply padfold in covers.

AZmommy 10-09-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaper Safari (Post 15789264)
I'm on the other side -- I personally prefer prefolds on a tiny newborn because when using a Snappi or Boingos I feel like it's easier to fold a tiny prefold around a baby than to do all the crazy flat folding required to get it that small. As babies get bigger and the poop containment is less of an issue, I love flats when they're pad folded in a cover. Personal preference I guess! :)

flats are flat out too big to fit on my newbies at least so far, buy the time I get it small enough their is soooo much fabric the thickness is more than my LO entire torso. Preemie prefolds are soo much better even those I have to fold down a bunch but at least not as bulky.

DEanna

Katiebug_1976 10-09-2012 12:46 PM

I think pad folding is what I'm planning to do (fold into a rectangle and lay in a cover?). I have never used snappi's, pins or Boingos before, and don't think I plan to. Thanks to those that suggested using flour sacks to practice folds ahead of time (I just happen to have some in my pantry!). So...is there a difference between buying "flats" from a diaper store (online) or flour sack towels from somewhere like Walmart? Cheap is good to me, but not if there's going to be an absorbancy or other issue.

ArmyWifeBethany 10-09-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katiebug_1976 (Post 15789687)
I think pad folding is what I'm planning to do (fold into a rectangle and lay in a cover?). I have never used snappi's, pins or Boingos before, and don't think I plan to. Thanks to those that suggested using flour sacks to practice folds ahead of time (I just happen to have some in my pantry!). So...is there a difference between buying "flats" from a diaper store (online) or flour sack towels from somewhere like Walmart? Cheap is good to me, but not if there's going to be an absorbancy or other issue.

I actually ONLY use Flour Sack Towels in my covers and pockets and LOVE them! I have debated about buying some "real" flats, but until my LO starts soaking through the FSTs, I can't justify it. They are so cheap and work so well! I prefer Target's to Walmart's, FWIW. :thumbsup:

A&EsMommy 10-09-2012 02:06 PM

I love flats for new borns because you can get a better fit.