Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mother's Milk Tea, and healthy foods/snacks while nursing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452026)

dancingingrace 10-09-2012 11:18 AM

Mother's Milk Tea, and healthy foods/snacks while nursing?
 
I'm debating whether or not I should get the Mother's Milk Tea to help me with nursing this time around, I didn't do well the first time around. Did you find this was helpful and worth it? I don't want to spend money wastefully if it isn't going to make much of a difference, but I'll definitely get it if it really helps.

Also, I know it is important to eat and get plenty of (healthy) calories while nursing, which is one of the things I failed at with my first because I really had no appetite. Can you share some ideas of healthy snacks or things to eat while nursing? I know that isn't the time to try to diet, but I want to make sure I'm not just packing on more weight just because I'm supposed to be eating...I don't tend to have the healthiest eating habits, and it never affected me before because I've always been a small person, but I want to redirect myself, lol. I know it is simple and obvious, but sometimes I run out of ideas or get in ruts, so all ideas are welcomed! TIA!!! :goodvibes:

MommyToTwoPrinces 10-09-2012 01:02 PM

Re: Mother's Milk Tea, and healthy foods/snacks while nursing?
 
Yes, very worth it! I know a fabulous person who has their own shop too! As far as snacks go, vegetables, fruits, hummus, etc. Stuff along those lines. I keep celery and carrots chopped up so they're just easy to grab out of the fridge. Water is also very important!

Southern Momma 10-12-2012 10:02 AM

Re: Mother's Milk Tea, and healthy foods/snacks while nursing?
 
I've also wondered about the Mother's Milk Tea, I'm interested to know how well that works. I was only able to nurse DD for 3 months, I hope to EBF this time around.

When I was nursing my DD I snacked on veggies (keep chopped up so they are easy to grab), fruits like bananas, grapes. Apple slices with peanut butter or cheese. Crackers and cheese too, my favorites where Triscuits :
) I also drank lots and lots of water. HTH

tibeca 10-12-2012 10:36 AM

Re: Mother's Milk Tea, and healthy foods/snacks while nursing?
 
Think good healthy protein. Nuts, boiled eggs, roast meats, cheese, glasses of cow milk (if you are into that sort of thing). Pair your protein with a fruit or vegetable and you are set. Healthy protein means no sugar crashes and fewer sugar cravings. Drink LOTS of water, especially right before or after nursing. Don't be afraid to get 2nd or 3rd helpings of vegetables and healthy meats at meals. I am tandem nursing and generally eat 3-4 x's the average person's amount of protein a day. I am losing 1-2 lbs per week!

AnimalHouse 10-12-2012 11:23 AM

Re: Mother's Milk Tea, and healthy foods/snacks while nursing?
 
Did you have supply issues with your daughter? Were you exclusively breastfeeding, on demand? I only ask because for me, personally, I don't buy any supplements unless I actually need them (I'm quite cheap like that, though :blush:)... for *most* women, nursing on demand is more than enough to ensure an adequate supply.

Kätzchen 10-12-2012 01:16 PM

I only eat about 800cal a day and I still over produce. The single most important part of supply is demand. Bottles, supplements, pacifiers, scheduling, those things can lower your milk supply. Just enjoy your baby and nurse as frequently as your lo wants. Now that my baby is 15m, I miss this baby snuggles. :)

dancingingrace 10-12-2012 07:30 PM

Re: Mother's Milk Tea, and healthy foods/snacks while nursing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHouse (Post 15802298)
Did you have supply issues with your daughter? Were you exclusively breastfeeding, on demand? I only ask because for me, personally, I don't buy any supplements unless I actually need them (I'm quite cheap like that, though :blush:)... for *most* women, nursing on demand is more than enough to ensure an adequate supply.

My biggest issue was really the latch, I think, because I got chewed to pieces and literally had barely any nipples left...BUT...I suspect that I did also have a supply issue and it just wasn't as obvious due to the overwhelming pain of the other problem. I can say for sure that I wasn't eating or drinking even close to the amount that I needed to be, I had zero appetite because I was so tired and tried to be "super mom" and not accept help from the people who tried to be there for me. Now I know better, and I know that super mom would graciously accept help!! I was just wondering about the tea because someone had recommended it to me, and I *REALLY* want to be successful this time, so I don't want to leave room for any problems that I haven't covered. But, I'm cheap when it comes to buying extras, too!! I will happily do it if it really is going to help because I will obviously be saving if it meant not buying formula, but we're on a tight budget, and I didn't want to just splurge on a bunch of things that weren't really necessary.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the key will probably be, like most of you have mentioned, keeping things readily available to just grab (like chopped veggies), so that I'm not tempted to just grab some cookies or something...which I've been known to do out of laziness. :blush:

AnimalHouse 10-13-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingingrace

My biggest issue was really the latch, I think, because I got chewed to pieces and literally had barely any nipples left...BUT...I suspect that I did also have a supply issue and it just wasn't as obvious due to the overwhelming pain of the other problem. I can say for sure that I wasn't eating or drinking even close to the amount that I needed to be, I had zero appetite because I was so tired and tried to be "super mom" and not accept help from the people who tried to be there for me. Now I know better, and I know that super mom would graciously accept help!! I was just wondering about the tea because someone had recommended it to me, and I *REALLY* want to be successful this time, so I don't want to leave room for any problems that I haven't covered. But, I'm cheap when it comes to buying extras, too!! I will happily do it if it really is going to help because I will obviously be saving if it meant not buying formula, but we're on a tight budget, and I didn't want to just splurge on a bunch of things that weren't really necessary.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the key will probably be, like most of you have mentioned, keeping things readily available to just grab (like chopped veggies), so that I'm not tempted to just grab some cookies or something...which I've been known to do out of laziness. :blush:

:hugs: mama, I ended up EPing for DS1 and DS2 because their latches were so bad. Nothing is worse than a bad latch! But a bad latch can cause supply problems - baby isn't getting the milk efficiently. Personally, I would save the money and put it towards seeing a lactation consultant after delivery. Or better yet, save the money completely and go to a (free!) LLL meeting :giggle:.

dancingingrace 10-13-2012 03:20 PM

Re: Mother's Milk Tea, and healthy foods/snacks while nursing?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHouse (Post 15805777)
:hugs: mama, I ended up EPing for DS1 and DS2 because their latches were so bad. Nothing is worse than a bad latch! But a bad latch can cause supply problems - baby isn't getting the milk efficiently. Personally, I would save the money and put it towards seeing a lactation consultant after delivery. Or better yet, save the money completely and go to a (free!) LLL meeting :giggle:.

Ouch...I feel your pain, and I'm so sorry you had to deal with that! :hugs: I absolutely do want to see a lactation consultant, whether it seems like I'm having any problems or not, just so I can hopefully get started out on the right foot! I'll have to see how it works at this hospital, my hospital with DD1 offered those services free for as long as you needed them. I also will definitely check out LLL, I've heard such good things about them, so I need to look up when/where their meetings are. Thanks! :)

avismomma816 10-13-2012 03:58 PM

Mother's milk tea works a miracle with me and so does fenugreek!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors