Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   HS Check-In, Part 2 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452050)

Jen's_4 10-09-2012 11:06 AM

HS Check-In, Part 2

Homeschooling and public schooling are as opposite as two sides of a coin. In a HSing enviornment, the teacher need not be certified, but the child MUST learn. In a PS enviornment, the teacher MUST be certified but the child need NOT learn.--Gene Royer

Hope you ladies are having a wonderful day!!!

2queens&1princenmyhouse 10-09-2012 02:30 PM

Re: HS Check-In, Part 2

Sorry I posted in the other thread. I meant to read the other thread and post here, but then forgot and posted there. I'll work on remembering tomorrow! :)

FTingmama 10-09-2012 05:06 PM

I got most of the kids new curriculum in today so we are starting new stuff tomorrow just waiting on one more teacher's manual. They are really excited about the new stuff though so I'm hoping for some progress.

a_marines_wife03 10-09-2012 06:30 PM

We had good day today DD got an early start on school 6:30 am for some reason she she was up and ready to go so we went for it and had school done by 9:30. Little DD how ever was not in the mood to learn much today but we did get a few books in so I guess that's a bonus. I love quotes and sayings and I found this one today and it made me laugh a little so i thought share. I hope no one minds

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...EUnP3aKX_c.jpg

TJR2119 10-09-2012 07:13 PM

Love the quotes!

We had an excellent day both yesterday and today. I am so pleased with how well everything is clicking with both children. I need to start challenging dd a little more but I am not sure how. Right now her main task is to recognize and identify numbers and the alphabet as well as trace her name. She can identify colors and shapes. She can also identify #s 0-9 and most of the alphabet. But sometimes if I ask her to identify a certain letter or number that I *know* she knows, she will purposely give me the wrong answer. Not sure what this means or how I can get her to stop. Sometimes I will tell her ok, I guess we can't do "x" because we can't identify this correctly and immediately she tells me what the correct answer is. So I am wondering if maybe she is not being challenged enough and that is her problem. Any ideas?

JackieLyn 10-09-2012 08:03 PM

Just thought I'd chime in with my thoughts as of recently. I really love homeschooling, I get a sick feeling just thinking about sending my children to school. BUT...all my children are school age now and sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have the day to myself...to do my own thing...get a degree and a career. I have recently started working out at a gym in the early morning which is a nice compromise to doing my own thing. I constantly remind myself of the money involved in sending kids to school (clothes, school supplies, lunches, pictures, fund raisers...who knows what else), the fights to get up early enough for the bus, the homework after school, not having enough time for extracurricular activities, we wouldn't be able to take a day trip on a whim. I already have a case for homeschooling, we've been living it for over 5 years now. I am struggling with finding a learning method that is the path of least resistance for my middle son besides letting him veg all day. Anywho...just my vent for the day. It's Wednesday here so it's our off day and we will be going to the library a little later.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-09-2012 08:48 PM

Julie - I've seen that one before. I think it's funny and SO true for us. My kids are rarely up by 6:30 and I never am. That's still practically the middle of the night for me. :giggle: I get up between 7:30 and 8 when the toddlers wake me. Although, since I'm going to have a NB soon, that will change. ;)

FTing - Yay for getting your new stuff and the kids being excited. :lostit:

Kristin - I better not go 16 days overdue. My OB was telling me today about a woman who had a 35wker, a 37wker and then a 41+6 wker induced! Oh man, I can only imagine how much more impatient I would feel 2wks from now! Crazy about your flooring. At least it's done, but why can't people be reliable?? So frustrating. We were supposed to have the guy come back out for our groundhog problem today and he didn't show. I'll call again tomorrow....if I'm here. (praying I'm not!)

Jen - Woo Hoo on starting a new thread! That's awesome your husband will try to do school on Friday. My husband would ever even think about trying to do school. LOL.

RO55ANA - Your bike ride to the library sounds nice. So, does the art museum. My kids are still a little too little for that. I could take them all to the museum, but I definitely prefer not to do it alone since they are all so young still. Sometimes my husband will take a day off work and we plan a trip to the zoo or a museum or the like. The kids love it. I totally hear you on wanting to do more with my kids but getting caught up in other things, including the computer.

Corrie - Glad your day was better today. :)

Miranda - Sounds like a good day. My 4 year olds like to glue too. :thumbsup:

AFM - No school today again. I had an OB appt and some other things I had to take care of. We have our closing on our refinance tomorrow. So, at least that will be done. It's taking up too much of my time. LOL. I did have a good appt at the OB. I'm now 3cms dilated. At least I know these contractions are doing something now. Yay!

iris0110 10-09-2012 09:26 PM

Yay for a new thread! I love the quotes.

Kristin, that is scarey about your dd's breathing. Tharen is not the best sleeper in the world and never has been. We are co-sleepers, or at least were until he moved in with his brother at 3. He is one of those children who doesn't fall asleep, once he is asleep he is totally and completely out. But he also runs on less sleep than most people part of the time, other times he needs far more and is a cranky mess. You just never know which child you will get from day to day. His pedi recommended melatonin to help him fall asleep and once he is out he does usually stay asleep but it doesn't really help his behavior at all, just helps the rest of us get more sleep at night. I feel badly because I know it is a struggle for him and I've been where he is now but I am torn on what is best for him, going easy on him and pushing him because I know he needs it. I wish I knew of a curriculum that would allow me to ensure he was getting his needs met in a way he was willing to comply with. I worry that he will fall behind in his education. I was not prepared to raise two special needs kids and some days it seems like it is all I can do just to keep everything together let alone get any real school work done.

Jackie, I've considered it as well. Both boys are old enough to be in school and I could have "free time" they can also be difficult to work with so I've thought it would be nice to let some one else have to deal with that. Of course I know the reality is I would never actually get any free time I would just be managing other things because I've had Kearnan in school before and the time just melted away dealing with stuff that cropped up while he was there. The added stress wasn't worth it for us anyway. Still there are days I consider it. Can't help but wonder from time to time if I am doing the right thing. I was more confident once. This last year has been difficult for me.

AFM, today was reasonably smooth. Tharen really has been doing better. We got through math, dog training (it is so strange thinking of that as school work but it is now) and reading without any issue. He balked when it was time for history and tried to rip the papers out of my hand when I told him it was science time. We are still not managing to get any kind of writing, grammar or spelling in. Kearnan has been having a rough week and we are getting by on Math, spelling, and history most days. He reads on his own and obviously we got science in today but he desperately needs to be getting in grammar and writing work. We finally gave up on Writing Strands and have been using Scott Foresman grammar/writing plus journaling but it is hit or miss having enough time in the day to get it done. He just won't focus and do his work if I'm not on top of him and there is only one of me. I am finding it impossible to get through all of the work we need to get done because I can't split myself and neither of the boys is working well independently right now. I am not sure if I should change our curric altogether or what.

7mom7 10-10-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJR2119 (Post 15791365)
Love the quotes!

We had an excellent day both yesterday and today. I am so pleased with how well everything is clicking with both children. I need to start challenging dd a little more but I am not sure how. Right now her main task is to recognize and identify numbers and the alphabet as well as trace her name. She can identify colors and shapes. She can also identify #s 0-9 and most of the alphabet. But sometimes if I ask her to identify a certain letter or number that I *know* she knows, she will purposely give me the wrong answer. Not sure what this means or how I can get her to stop. Sometimes I will tell her ok, I guess we can't do "x" because we can't identify this correctly and immediately she tells me what the correct answer is. So I am wondering if maybe she is not being challenged enough and that is her problem. Any ideas?

Just jumping in here b/c my oldest used to do the same thing. He'd give the wrong answer and belly laugh. I'd just say "if we can't be serious we'll have to put it away for now" and I'd start packing up the stuff. Since he loves school this was enough to keep him from doing it. Not that school has to be serious all the time but I guess that was the only word I could think of.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-10-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieLyn (Post 15791606)
Just thought I'd chime in with my thoughts as of recently. I really love homeschooling, I get a sick feeling just thinking about sending my children to school. BUT...all my children are school age now and sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have the day to myself...to do my own thing...get a degree and a career. I have recently started working out at a gym in the early morning which is a nice compromise to doing my own thing. I constantly remind myself of the money involved in sending kids to school (clothes, school supplies, lunches, pictures, fund raisers...who knows what else), the fights to get up early enough for the bus, the homework after school, not having enough time for extracurricular activities, we wouldn't be able to take a day trip on a whim. I already have a case for homeschooling, we've been living it for over 5 years now. I am struggling with finding a learning method that is the path of least resistance for my middle son besides letting him veg all day. Anywho...just my vent for the day. It's Wednesday here so it's our off day and we will be going to the library a little later.

I only have one who would be in school if I sent them. But, I sometimes think about how nice it would be. I hate to say this, but my oldest is my instigator. I envy families with that oldest child who is a great example and really helpful with the other children. That isn't mine. I'm not saying he isn't helpful. He actually is very helpful when he wants to be. But, he is also argumentative and instigates the bickering with the youngers. When he isn't here, there is less arguing between kids in the house and it is easier on me. :blush: I am not in the least bit tempted to send my children to school because my reasons for homeschool FAR outweigh anything else, but I do admit, I sometimes think about how nice it would be if he were in school all day and not here making trouble. :hide: