Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vaccines (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452065)

MommyToTwoPrinces 10-09-2012 11:58 AM

Vaccines

I know there's a sticky for this, but I want momma's opinions. I've been doing research on non-vaxing, and that's what I'm leaning towards, but before we make a decision, I wanted opinions.
If you SELECTIVE vax, which one's do you do?
If you COMPLETELY vax, why did you decide too?
And If you DO NOT vax at all, what made you decide that?

TIA :thumbsup:

NiNi 10-09-2012 12:19 PM

I don't vax. It was a lot of hard research to come to that decision. I have 100% confidence I made the right choice for my family.

I'm not anti vax. I am pro what works for your family.

I read ingredients. I researched the amount of reported cases for each disease in the US. I stay home with my boys so that was a huge plus for me. I extended breastfed my boys, also a huge plus for me. I researched the sheer AMOUNT of vaccinations given at each visit and why it was so drastic from 30 years ago.

At the end of the day I didn't feel comfortable putting questionable ingredients into my developing children and hoping for a positive outcome.

I think if vaccinations were (I hate this term) "greener" and not so many were given at once, I'd feel a bit different.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos :)

nursenmom 10-09-2012 12:31 PM

Re: Vaccines

I've actually become more pro-vax as I've had more children because I realize it is so much about protecting other children and everyone not only the child being vaccinated. When I had only one baby we weren't exposed to as much but now that my oldest is in preschool she is exposed to more meaning the possiblity of bringing more home.

We delay starting until 6 months and then don't do chicken pox, hepatitis B, rotavirus, and delay MMR to closer to age 2.

Kiliki 10-09-2012 12:34 PM

We do not vax at all.

This is b/c I find it difficult to find a ped who will talk to me about vaxes without being fear-mongering. Even our ped who doesn't say much about our not vaxing, if I bring it up will bring in 100 pages of crap for me to read and then hand me a list of a ton of vaxes my kids need. I also have to sign a paper for EVERY vax we decline stating that I understand my kids could DIE if we don't vax.

I actually think if I could find a reasonable, non-judgemental pediatrician (w/o a God complex) who would speak to me about vaxes, listen to my concerns and agree to do some but not all of them, I would probably selectively and delay vax.

If I could find that, we'd probably delay all vaxes until at least about 5 y/o. This is b/c most vaxes are for childhood illnesses, and I don't have kids in daycare, who are exposed regularly to a lot of germs or other kids or questionable hygiene practices. Since they are pretty much all the time with me, I keep up with good hygiene, and we try to eat healthy - and I think those two things are great preventative measures for disease, so I am not concerned with them contracting most childhood illnesses.

The vaxes I would like my kids to have at some point are the MMR (I'd like them separated out and not altogether, but I don't even know if that's possible), and the polio vax. Maybe some others I am not thinking of at the moment.

The vaxes I think are completely useless (IMO and accdg to MY research) are the whooping cough vaccine, the flu vaccine and the chicken pox vaccine. In MOST kids with a normal, working, healthy immune system, these illnesses - while not being pleasant or fun at all - are not going to be deadly.

Here are the reasons I feel that way:

Both of my older 2 kids had whooping cough - my oldest is vaxed against it and her case was FAR WORSE than my son's - who is not vaxed against it. I contracted it while pg and I broke a rib coughing. I am vaxed against it.

I've had chicken pox. Twice. Not severe the first time, didn't get a good enough immunity so I caught it again. My brother had it. My mom had it. My Dad had it. My grandmas and grandpas all had it. All my Aunts and Uncles had it. All my cousins had it. IMO it's not deadly unless a person already has a compromised immune system for whatever reason. Uncomfortable? Yes. Deadly? Probably not. I think this vax was created for parents who don't want to sit home from work for 2 wks with kids who have CP. :2cents:

And the flu vax. Made from last years strains that *might* still be around this year, and *might* not have mutated enough for the vax to be able to prevent it.

I also think it's stupid to vax newborns for an STD that a healthy person knows they don't have and could not possibly pass on to their kids.

Totally useless vaxes. I know I'll get flamed for that, but that's my opinion.

Anyway. there you have it. In a nutshell, we don't vax at all. We probably would if we could find the right pediatrician. But those are few and far between and really hard to come by.

Erin0183 10-09-2012 12:45 PM

I spread vaccines out so that my 14 month old son is not getting so many at one time. I also have read ingredients and I carefully choose which vaccines he will get together. So far my ped has been pretty good about it. We decided not to do the rotavirus vaccine and we are waiting until my son is at least 2 to do the MMR. While my ped thinks we are waitin a little while on the chicken pox vaccine, we are seriously consider skipping this one too. However, it is required that he get it in order to go to school in IL where we live. Not sure how we will handle that. W did do the HepB series, but I think I would skip that with my next child.

The vaccine book has been a useful resource for us.

NiNi 10-09-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiliki
We do not vax at all.

This is b/c I find it difficult to find a ped who will talk to me about vaxes without being fear-mongering. Even our ped who doesn't say much about our not vaxing, if I bring it up will bring in 100 pages of crap for me to read and then hand me a list of a ton of vaxes my kids need. I also have to sign a paper for EVERY vax we decline stating that I understand my kids could DIE if we don't vax.

I actually think if I could find a reasonable, non-judgemental pediatrician (w/o a God complex) who would speak to me about vaxes, listen to my concerns and agree to do some but not all of them, I would probably selectively and delay vax.

If I could find that, we'd probably delay all vaxes until at least about 5 y/o. This is b/c most vaxes are for childhood illnesses, and I don't have kids in daycare, who are exposed regularly to a lot of germs or other kids or questionable hygiene practices. Since they are pretty much all the time with me, I keep up with good hygiene, and we try to eat healthy - and I think those two things are great preventative measures for disease, so I am not concerned with them contracting most childhood illnesses.

The vaxes I would like my kids to have at some point are the MMR (I'd like them separated out and not altogether, but I don't even know if that's possible), and the polio vax. Maybe some others I am not thinking of at the moment.

The vaxes I think are completely useless (IMO and accdg to MY research) are the whooping cough vaccine, the flu vaccine and the chicken pox vaccine. In MOST kids with a normal, working, healthy immune system, these illnesses - while not being pleasant or fun at all - are not going to be deadly.

Here are the reasons I feel that way:

Both of my older 2 kids had whooping cough - my oldest is vaxed against it and her case was FAR WORSE than my son's - who is not vaxed against it. I contracted it while pg and I broke a rib coughing. I am vaxed against it.

I've had chicken pox. Twice. Not severe the first time, didn't get a good enough immunity so I caught it again. My brother had it. My mom had it. My Dad had it. My grandmas and grandpas all had it. All my Aunts and Uncles had it. All my cousins had it. IMO it's not deadly unless a person already has a compromised immune system for whatever reason. Uncomfortable? Yes. Deadly? Probably not. I think this vax was created for parents who don't want to sit home from work for 2 wks with kids who have CP. :2cents:

And the flu vax. Made from last years strains that *might* still be around this year, and *might* not have mutated enough for the vax to be able to prevent it.

I also think it's stupid to vax newborns for an STD that a healthy person knows they don't have and could not possibly pass on to their kids.

Totally useless vaxes. I know I'll get flamed for that, but that's my opinion.

Anyway. there you have it. In a nutshell, we don't vax at all. We probably would if we could find the right pediatrician. But those are few and far between and really hard to come by.

Hugs. High five. And a huge YEAH THAT.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos :)

mekat 10-09-2012 01:01 PM

dp

mekat 10-09-2012 01:02 PM

We vax because my son is high risk. Our reasons will not apply to the general population since they are based on my son's medical conditions.

Ironically my son is at much higher risk of side effects from vaccinations and yet other then some slight discomfort has had zero issues. Yet I have heard of cases where kids with zero risk factors have had severe reactions. Vaccines are like anything else in medicine some kids are going to fall in the small percentage with problems. It sucks when your child is in that small percentage but that is the risk you take if you want the benefit of having a vaccinated child. The question every parent needs to ask is if the benefit for your child out weights the risk.

mom22sofar 10-09-2012 01:13 PM

here is my caveat before I even tell you my reasons-I work in medical research-in no way do I have anything to do with vaccine research or scheduling or administration, but none the less, I am a medical researcher and so bring a different persepctive.

Now, shoving the medical researcher in me aside, I vaccinate my children. the reason? although most people think it is b/c I work in research and come from a science background, that actually has little to do with it. what it boils down to is that my parents chose not to vaccinate me (they were concerned I would be allergic to some ingredients) and so chose not to vaccinate me or my older sister (no idea why they didn't vaccinate her-she had zero allergies). We both got measles and bad. We could have died. It was a big regret for my parents I think.

And just FYI: I did not go to daycare. I was not yet in any formal school or peer groups at the time.

So, having almost died from a totally preventable illness I am pro-vaccine, leaving the whole science side of my brain out of it (but I am willing to open that side of my brain too, but few people really want to hear that part!).

I have friends who chose not to vaccinate-their choice, we just don't discuss it in any sort of debate, I respect their right to chose and they respect mine. It is a very hot topic and my suggestion (this is the science brain) is do your research-don't let others opinions sway you, don't let horror stories (including mine) sway you, do your research. And seek credible sources. Don't trust that google will weed out the crap for you, you really need to be confident in the sources of your information (as much as what the actual information tells you). Good luck!

z2akids 10-09-2012 01:14 PM

We vaccinate.

If you are interested in my reasons and my opinions on much of the "research" people use to decide not to vaccinate, I have posted in many of the dozens of threads that ask the same question you ask.

There is very little factual scientific information out there that is not supportive of vaccination. Plenty of anecdotal stories and websites like Mercola and others that purport to provide scientific evidence. However, almost every article posted on these blog and non-science sites is distorted or doesn't even follow any sort of scientific process.

Look at the information out there. But, if you do not have a firm understanding of how to read statistics or scientific studies -- ask someone who does before believing whatever you read. I recommend bringing any questions to your doctor. And, if you cannot do that, then I would suggest that it's time to find a new doctor. But, don't be surprised when she shoots down most of the anti-vax arguments because most of them are spurious.