Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chicken pox or Vax??? Help!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452117)

doulamomma 10-09-2012 01:46 PM

Chicken pox or Vax??? Help!!

Ok, we selectively vaxed, but each kid has gotten fewer vaxines. So, i have a 5.5 yr old who has the pox vaccine, a 3.5 yo who has not, and a 2 yo who has not. well, i just got a call that one of the little girls at our church ( in the nursery with ydd) has chicken pox. now im torn, i never have been really hard core anti-vax, just didnt think its a good idea to pump all kinds of junk into tiny kids. but now that im facing 2 of my 3 girls getting chicken pox i dont know what to do. Id rather them get it now, than later, but i feel like they would be sick because of me. also, im 27 weeks pregnant, but i had them as a kid so im fine right? ugh. im so confused lol tell me what to do!!:headscratch:

mommy24babes 10-09-2012 02:16 PM

I personally would far rather my kids get actual chicken pox than the vaccine.

Even if he gets the vaccine he may still get chicken pox. My nephew is full vaxed on schedule and got a mild case last year.

They said it was mild because of the vax but I'm not sure I buy it.
My brother got only a few spots to my cp explosion and that was long before the vax was available.
We also got whooping cough even though we were fully vaxed for it. Another "mild case" we were down for 6 months.

Sorry excuse my rant. Ds had a few hives when we went to the doctor and he thought it was cp because ds is not vaxed for it.
When I pointed out that it doesn't have the features of a cp blister he told me that they are seeing milder cases because of the vax.

I guess that wouldn't apply to my ds though since he's not :banghead:

mommy24babes 10-09-2012 02:17 PM

Sorry just to add I'm not anti vax. We selectively vax. Just not that one lol

canadianbakers 10-09-2012 02:44 PM

Re: Chicken pox or Vax??? Help!!

The vaccine doesn't always (from the kids I've seen, doesn't usually) prevent the contraction of the virus, but instead just makes it so the child has a less severe case than they likely would have had without the vaccine. So, I'd be thinking it's more a possibility of all of them getting it, not just the younger 2.

I wouldn't worry about them being around this other child, or contracting the virus. I would prefer if my kids would get it - unfortunately there have not been any cases of chicken pox in our town/school in the years we've been here!
None of my kids have been vaxed for it. We will be considering it in the next couple years for DD, as she is nearing preteen/teenage.

If you had it as a child yourself, there's no risk to you or the baby. :thumbsup:

doulamomma 10-09-2012 03:07 PM

I think my real concern is them not getting it until they are older. But I guess we can always vax at like 12 or something if we need to.

Sent from my droid

harmoni247 10-09-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulamomma (Post 15790340)
I think my real concern is them not getting it until they are older. But I guess we can always vax at like 12 or something if we need to.

Sent from my droid

This is my plan as well. We don't vax at all, but I will get that vax if they don't get the chicken pox as a kid.

JennTheMomma 10-09-2012 03:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about it and would let them contract it naturally if possible.

songbird516 10-09-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma (Post 15790410)
I wouldn't worry about it and would let them contract it naturally if possible.

Yes, same here. I don't know that I agree with forcing my kids to contract it, but if they got it, it would be fine. So I wouldn't limit exposure to the kid that has it, but I wouldn't seek out his company, either.

mamaerica 10-09-2012 10:31 PM

Consider yourself lucky that you have the chance to expose them to the pox naturally!! I've been looking to expose my kiddos for a few years now and haven't had any luck.

waterisntsomething 10-09-2012 10:58 PM

I had it at 5 and loved it. I got to be out of school for a week and got pampered. I know that's probably not the perspective you're looking for though :giggle:. I plan on not vaxing for it until he's about 12 and then getting him tested for immunity. If he isn't immune I'll give him the vax.