Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   DH asked to play Santa- WWYD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452170)

Geckmumto3 10-09-2012 04:30 PM

DH asked to play Santa- WWYD?

Our school hosts a Turkey Skate every year. It is a day long event, where the entire K-5 school gets bused over to the arena, the kids do crafts and skate and get served a turkey dinner. Moms all cook turkeys at home and deliver them, we do gravy, stuffing, veggies, turkey, mashed potatoes, etc.... Santa always makes an appearance on the ice.

I always prep a turkey or two, and go over to set up the night before. DH always takes the day off work to skate and help serve. This was his school, and his grade 1 year was the first year they did this tradition. :wub:

Last year, DH was asked to play Santa this year. He, of course, is happy to do it. Our kids are 4, 7 and 9, and all believe in Santa. They know that the Santas we see are not the real Santa, so Daddy playing Santa is not a big deal. BUT, I know a lot of the families do not want their kids to know who the Santa is on the ice. It is all very hush hush.

My kids do not know yet that DH is to play Santa. I know my middle child, DS 7, will be able to keep it a secret. But, my DD 9 will be bursting to tell people and I am not sure DS 4 will be able to pull it off. :giggle2: Obviously, they will recognize their Dad, though, on the ice. The kids all clamber around Santa, hold his hands, etc....

So... when do we tell them? The morning of? The night before? Well in advance and hope they forget?

Tina5834 10-09-2012 04:40 PM

Never.

If you don't want to 'lie' have your husband tell the school he can't do it. If your DD can't keep a secret then she would tell people even after, right?

Terra 10-09-2012 04:59 PM

Re: DH asked to play Santa- WWYD?

Oh tough one. I'm honestly not sure how to do it. But how fun!!!
But I do vote telling the night before [or a little ahead] to get them used to it and not to say. Although too far ahead leaves room for an "oopsie".

happysmileylady 10-09-2012 05:08 PM

Are you sure they will recognize him? My family is pretty big and occasionally we have had family get togethers at Christmas time. My dad played Santa once and my Grandpa did another time, and I had no idea, only found out years later.

Geckmumto3 10-09-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette (Post 15790763)
Never.

If you don't want to 'lie' have your husband tell the school he can't do it. If your DD can't keep a secret then she would tell people even after, right?

True. He really wants to do it, though.. We'll have to think about how to get her to keep it a secret. The bonus is that it is close to the holidays, so there is some space where she won't see kids from school.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terra (Post 15790838)
Oh tough one. I'm honestly not sure how to do it. But how fun!!!
But I do vote telling the night before [or a little ahead] to get them used to it and not to say. Although too far ahead leaves room for an "oopsie".

That's kind of what I thought....

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 15790871)
Are you sure they will recognize him? My family is pretty big and occasionally we have had family get togethers at Christmas time. My dad played Santa once and my Grandpa did another time, and I had no idea, only found out years later.

Maybe? I don't know. With this, though, I worry that DS 4 will suddenly recognize him and scream out, "Santa is my DAD!" :blush:

Terra 10-09-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 (Post 15790946)

Maybe? I don't know. With this, though, I worry that DS 4 will suddenly recognize him and scream out, "Santa is my DAD!" :blush:

Well....mommy *does* kiss Santa Claus:giggle2:

EmilytheStrange 10-09-2012 05:42 PM

I would tell them, but I'd tell them how important it is to not tell the other kids.
repeatedly.

chandni3 10-09-2012 05:47 PM

Maybe a prize if they don't tell anyone?

luvsviola 10-09-2012 07:32 PM

Personally, I wouldn't tell them at all and let them be surprised.

The kids all know that the mall Santa isn't "real"--for the same reason that every Santa they see the whole Christmas looks different. The only "real" Santa is the one in the Macy's parade, silly! The rest are all just his helpers.

Your husband is just one of the helpers because the real Santa is too busy to come to a skating party.

m0mof6 10-09-2012 07:54 PM

If they know not all Santas are real can you tell them that if try recognize the Santa (or think they do ;) ) not to say anything cause it might upset other kids that believe that every Santa they see is real?