Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   On what kind of mattress do your kids sleep? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452232)

rverrone11 10-09-2012 08:17 PM

On what kind of mattress do your kids sleep?

DD1 is still sleeping in a crib side carred to our bed, and DD2 still sleeps with us. I'm due with a 3rd in April, and we'd like to get my girls sleeping either in their own room or in their own bed in our room (provided we could fit one in it). We plan on getting a full size mattress, and they can both sleep on there or DD1 can sleep on it and DD2 can sleep in a toddler bed that someone just gave to us.

I was browsing the internet for mattresses last night, and I have no idea what to get. I was looking at memory foam (overstock.com has good prices on them), but I know they aren't recommended for little kids (my younger DD is 29 months), and everyone says they release a lot of chemicals and chemical smells.

I'd love to get an organic mattress, but I don't think that is in the budget with having to pay out of pocket for a birth. I'm curious as to what others have for their children?

Mags462 10-09-2012 08:20 PM

Re: On what kind of mattress do your kids sleep?

Just the $99 twin size Samsclub Serta mattresses..... Honestly, kids do so many things on mattresses (eg vomit, pee, poo, etc etc etc) i didn't want to spend much on their mattress! I do have quality mattress covers on them, but even still.... i intend when they are tweens to then chunk the change out for a "nice" mattress which will get much less abused :giggle2:

sillymama 10-09-2012 08:32 PM

I got some memory foam mattresses from overstock for my two daughters and I love them. They didn't have any chemical smell and they are very comfortable. I like that they have a 20 lifespan, twice that of an inner spring matress.

tesslouise 10-09-2012 08:57 PM

Consumer Reports recommends Original Mattress Factory, if you have one near you. They're affordable and what we'll get DD#1 when we have more space (right now she's in the crib with the side off; in a couple weeks we're moving her to the guest bed we already have).

rverrone11 10-09-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mags462 (Post 15791704)
Just the $99 twin size Samsclub Serta mattresses..... Honestly, kids do so many things on mattresses (eg vomit, pee, poo, etc etc etc) i didn't want to spend much on their mattress! I do have quality mattress covers on them, but even still.... i intend when they are tweens to then chunk the change out for a "nice" mattress which will get much less abused :giggle2:

That's what I was thinking, but Overstock doesn't have any cheap spring mattresses. I really want to order online because otherwise it will be a 7 hour round trip drive to buy a mattress, and we'll have to take our bigger car and pull a trailer to get it. So a $200 memory foam mattress through Overstock (free shipping) beats out buying a $99 one from a store that I have to drive to. It would be great if I can find a $99 one with free shipping, but I don't think that will happen.

I'm just worried about a memory foam one because I know they are not recommended for little ones (makes it harder for them to turn over I think). I just wish I could find a cheap spring mattress online.

earthflower 10-09-2012 10:26 PM

we just have some mattresses from Ikea!