Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   At my wits end! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452293)

SamanthaSews 10-10-2012 05:04 AM

At my wits end!

DS (21 months) has been waking up too early (before the sun rises, today it was 4:45am) for the past month! And he has started to become difficult to get back to sleep if he wakes in the middle of the night. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. CIO does not work. He just cries and yells & bangs on the walls until someone comes to get him. Co- sleeping does not work. I tried it last night & he woke up at 4:45 & attempted to climb off the bed. Not to mention that I am such a light sleeper that I cannot sleep with anyone. Before this started he had finally in the previous month started to sleep great. Going to bed between 7-7:30 and sleeping until at least 6am, sometimes later. (this sleeping pattern started when i cut his am nap, even though he still really needs it, he doesn't make it to lunch time with out a power nap. He often will fall asleep in the car during our errands or will fall asleep sitting on my lap watching tv around 10am) I don't know what to do anymore! I need my sleep. I tried putting up a push light above his crib for him to turn on when he wakes up & putting a book in his bed with the hopes that if he woke up too early he would quietly look at the book. That didn't work either.

Last night he went to bed great at 7:15. At 11pm, just as I was drifting off, he woke up screaming. He is teething so I gave him Tylenol & a sip of water & rubbed his back for 15 mins. He went back to sleep only to wake up again at 11:45. So I brought him into bed with me & he tossed & turned & finally was asleep around 12. He is a mover in his sleep so I was frequently woken until 4:45am when he just woke up & started to climb off the bed. I tried to get him to lie back down but he just fought me so I put him back in his crib where he cry & yelled & banged on the wall until DH got up with him at 5:30 am.

Help! Has this happened to anyone else? Or is it just ds? Any ideas on what I can do to get him to start sleeping better again?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

katengrace 10-10-2012 08:25 AM

Re: At my wits end!

Personally I would let him take a morning nap if he still needs it. He may be so overtired from the day that he is unable to sleep well at night. Sleep begets sleep...if he is well rested during the day he should sleep better at night.

need some diaps! 10-10-2012 08:50 AM

I agree with the AP...if he needs sleep let him sleep!! Also this sounds identical to my oldest. What I have to say probably won't make you feel better but we got used to it until his schedule evened out. We did early (EARLY) morning shopping trips and I even started letting him watch a little early morning tv so I could have a little rest while he was occupied. I remember there was a few month span when I never got more then 2 hrs of sleep at a time. It absolutely wears on you and I wish I could give you an answer but I can say that he eventually grew out of it! If I remember correctly by the time he was 2 he was sleeping through the night...and he is a good sleeper now but still an early riser!

SamanthaSews 10-10-2012 09:40 AM

So ds passed out in my arms at 10:30am. Do you think I should just let him sleep? And say he sleeps until 1pm, should I try to get him to take a late afternoon nap too? Or just put him to bed at his normal time? Although I think if he is awake from 1pm he will be so tired by dinner time & ready to go to bed early.

sweetpeapumpkinbaby 10-10-2012 09:50 AM

Maybe he has to pee? Have you tried taking him to the potty when he wakes up?

SamanthaSews 10-10-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Maybe he has to pee? Have you tried taking him to the potty when he wakes up?

We aren't really at that stage yet. He has never initiated using the toilet.

sweetpeapumpkinbaby 10-10-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaSews (Post 15793243)
We aren't really at that stage yet. He has never initiated using the toilet.

Ah. Okay. My son's younger than yours, but we do some EC. Over on the EC forum I've heard of people offering the potty in the middle of the night (with even younger babies), so that's the first thing I thought of (even though we're not there yet, either). Well, hope you get things figured out, not sleeping stinks!:hugs:

EmilytheStrange 10-10-2012 11:58 AM

I'd give him his nap back and I'd look into a toddler clock. He can wake up and know what time it is (sleepy time or wakeful time) and know that he needs to go back to bed.

On that note, I will say this, my daughter's internal clock is set. Period. If she goes to bed earlier or later, she will wake up at the same exact time, like clockwork. When I was a small child, I often woke up for the day at 5am. I don't know much about my napping or not napping, but I do know I was an early riser.

My daughter started doing the 5am thing at about 21 months and it lasted awhile. Maybe a month? I don't remember. Anyways, she did eventually go back to 7am and now at 24months, she's a strict 6:30am person. I usually check her diaper (I was putting her on the potty until that particular potty got a weeble flushed in it and the plumber hasn't been here yet) anyways.. and then I put her back in bed and tell her it's nighttime. She does not go back to sleep, but she usually gives us about 30 more minutes. Then I bring her in bed with me (I would prefer if she'd just play in her room) and I do not let her move or talk. If she tries to chat, she gets told 'shh, it's night night time' and she knows what this means and these days, she generally cuddles up quiet with me. Promptly at 7:30, reveille plays and I release her. I'm personally trying to teach her that we get up at reveille. sounds insane, I know, but I'm pregnant and exhausted. .

So, the early rising sucks, but isn't the real problem as I see it. The real problem is all the night wakings. A toddler clock with some consistency with putting him back in bed repeatedly for a few nights might help with those.

SamanthaSews 10-10-2012 12:52 PM

I don't know what to do. Ds woke up at 1pm like I thought he would. He freaked out. Crying and rolling around, kicking his legs. This lasted about 10 mins. Not sure why.

Colorwithwords 10-10-2012 01:00 PM

My daughter (26 months) prefers to nap earlier than late in the afternoon. 11-1 is her preferred time, today she's been more 12-2. She doesn't nap again and is ready for bed around 7:30, give or take 30 minutes.

I'd suggest keeping him entertained this afternoon and let him go to bed at 7 or 7:30.