Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you do when cars speed down your street? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452328)

shouldbedoinglaundry 10-10-2012 08:32 AM

What do you do when cars speed down your street?

I usually give the "slow down" sign (hand outstretched, move it up and down a couple of times) to give the subtle signal that I want cars to slow down.

I was hit by a car as teenager and have a very healthy respect for the damage a car can do to a human body; multiple surgeries later, I still feel pain every time I take a step.

I have toddlers and a baby and they constantly run in the street and because of my injury, I cannot run after them as fast as I would like to. I am still trying to teach them every day not to go in the street, but two times out of ten, a child ends up stepping into the street.

An angry passerby stopped at my house yesterday and told me that I have no right to tell him to slow down. "Yeah, maybe I speed past, but I'm not going that fast". He then went on to tell me that his son was hit by a car and that he still doesn't appreciate me telling him to slow down. I held my ground and asked him to simply obey the law and watch for my boys.

How would you handle the situation? I think it ended OK since I didn't speak rudely or in a harsh tone to him.

What do you do in your neighborhood to ask people to slow down? Do you just tolerate it? Say something? I have heard of people throwing rocks in the street in front of speeding cars! Not my style, but I am wondering if other people have ideas.

My biggest goal is to preserve neighborly relations and keep my kids safe.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-10-2012 08:49 AM

Re: What do you do when cars speed down your street?

Maybe I'm odd, but I don't do anything. I don't want a confrontation. To avoid an accident, I don't let my young children play anywhere near the street. We play in the backyard away from where the street is. I have 5 kids 6 and under including 2 sets of twins who are 27 months apart. So, I definitely know what it's like to have multiple small children and we stay away from the street because IMO it's too dangerous to try to keep several small children out. Even if the car isn't speeding, they are going to be seriously hurt if they get hit by a car.

When I'm taking them out to the car, I carry them or hold hands to keep them safe. I do it one or two at a time if I need to. Away from the house, they go straight from the car to the stroller and vise versa. I always say, containment is key to safety and sanity. If we aren't playing, which we don't do by the street, I rarely let go of my kids.

I'm not at all saying you are doing anything wrong. Everyone is different and your situation may be completely different than mine.

I'm sorry you have a chronic speeder in your neighborhood. I wonder if you could call and ask the police to set up a speed trap. I have no clue if they would or not. It's just an idea.

ETA - I think that guy was rude. I think he's inconsiderate and wrong for speeding, but I also think he was rude to you. He could have just ignored you. Sorry you have to deal with him. :hugs:

shouldbedoinglaundry 10-10-2012 08:51 AM

I completely agree about containment! I never play in the front yard. It is an issue when we are walking out to our car in the driveway.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-10-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shouldbedoinglaundry (Post 15793147)
I completely agree about containment! I never play in the front yard. It is an issue when we are walking out to our car in the driveway.

I can understand that. That's why I take mine out 1 or 2 at a time if I have runners. Right now, I have 2 2.5 year olds and one is a runner. The other goes straight to the car. I make sure either me or my 6 year old (almost 7) is holding his hand or carrying him when I open the door and I put him and his twin in before my 4 year twins and 6 year old. (4 and 6 can get it themselves anyway.) When I have infants, I use a bucket seat because it's containment. So, I'll put the baby in the seat in the house. Then, take the toddlers out, leaving baby sitting in the house for a minute, then go get the baby. Safety gets complicated when you have many littles, especially if they are runners. :giggle2:

Of course, this is not to say my system never breaks down. I've had my fair share of toddlers bolting toward or into the street and me freaking out. Not fun. :(

leadmare 10-10-2012 10:11 AM

I would like all your local police department, share your concerns about speeding, and see if they'll set up a speed trap or something. Worth a call - good luck!

Shimpie 10-10-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadmare (Post 15793450)
I would like all your local police department, share your concerns about speeding, and see if they'll set up a speed trap or something. Worth a call - good luck!

This! Squeaky wheel gets the oil. Complain to your police department until they set a speed trap or patrol more frequently. Get you neighbors to call in too.

mcpforever 10-10-2012 10:56 AM

I don't think the speed of the cars going by is the real issue here. I think the real issue is how to help keep the tots from getting away from you and running into the danger zone. Imagine if you the road were actually a raging river. How would you keep them safe from it?

Perhaps wear the baby so you have one hand for each toddler. Put the baby in the bucket seat, buckle the toddlers in so they can't get out, and bring the bucket next. Do the reverse when getting out of the car.

Rhianna'sMommy 10-10-2012 10:57 AM

If we're playing out front my kids are taught they can't pass the sidewalk (which in theory gives me time to get them before they get to the street). They get one warning and if they pass the sidewalk again we either head inside or out back depending on my mood. (they like to ride bikes and bounce balls out front)

As for getting them to the car, we have an attached garage. If we're having issues I uust don't open the garage door until they are buckled up. I will assume this is not an option for you OP.

To address the original question. I don't say anything to the cars. Even a car going 5mph is probably hurt my kid so I work on my kids just not going around cars.

sisu 10-10-2012 11:45 AM

I'd take the kids to the car one at a time.

If there are one or two neighbors that are habitual offenders and really out of line, you might try calling the police with names/plate numbers and asking if they can do something about it, but ultimately, it's up to you to make sure your children are under control. I'm sorry you have difficulties due to your injuries. :hugs:

happysmileylady 10-10-2012 11:49 AM

Um, wow, lots to comment on...

First, I don't really do anything because I don't have the problem at my own house, we are the second house from the end of the road, they have to be slowing down when they get to my part of the street.

Aside from that, for random cars, I probably wouldn't do much of anything.

But, in your situation, I probably especially wouldn't do anything, because honestly, holding my kids hand is more important than waving at the drivers. And as you describe the "slow down" sign...that's probably what I would think you were doing was waving at drivers. I am actually a bit surprised the guy even knew what you were saying!

As for the specific situation about this guy and his rude behavior (which, I think he's being rude all around) for him to get all up in arms enough to come by and INSIST that you have no right to tell him to quit breaking the law...well that might just irk me off enough to start calling the cops, with his license plate number, every single time he came past my house speeding. Just because he irked me off.