Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Head Start...home visits? UPDATE in OP (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452331)

ohgirlohboyohno 10-10-2012 08:44 AM

Head Start...home visits? UPDATE in OP

We just started head start last week and I see a note in the folder that we need to schedule a home visit.

What are these home visits about?

Is it like a CPS visit? Do I need to make sure we have all kinds of food around, all kinds of safety stuff, Clean rooms? etc??

Thanks

UPDATE>>>>>
SO, I scheduled our appointment for 9 am (so I could get home after taking the kids to school at 8)...I thought it was kind of weird that all the teachers were still there...but didn't really put 2 and 2 together...so at 9:20 the teacher calls me..."MsS. are you coming to our home visit today?"....I said yeah, I am here at home waiting"....she says "Oh we do them here at the school".....I said oh the note said "home visit".....she didn't understand how I could have messed that up :headscratch:.....so we did it over the phone.

l_Kimmie_l 10-10-2012 08:46 AM

Re: Head Start...home visits?

I have never heard of a home visit for Head Start. We are on the waiting list for preschool and have not heard of that. I know that if they work with CDS (Child Developement Services) that you may find they want to do a home visit to discuss your child's issues, but if not affiliated with them or another behavioral or disability center, then I am not sure what it is about.

a_marines_wife03 10-10-2012 08:52 AM

My eldest went to head start last year. we had home visits all they did was come in and talk to you about what your child knows what they dont know that they need to know and set some goals for them for the next 6 months. for us it was not any big deal they did not look through our house or anything once she sat at the kitchen table because thats where the kids were playing. Once I met her in the drive way on our way out and she never even came in the house.

umphreysmommy 10-10-2012 08:59 AM

My friends daughter goes to head start and they also said they would need a home visit but it was never scheduled or completed.

ohgirlohboyohno 10-10-2012 09:17 AM

They are in headstart cause of speech disability....The note was just a sign up sheet at the front of the folder with a bunch of 1 hr slots to "sign up" for next week...so all the kids are doing it.

So, basically it is like a parent-teacher conference? but at home? sounds like a lot of hassle for the teacher to drive all over town.

a_marines_wife03 10-10-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno (Post 15793255)
They are in headstart cause of speech disability....The note was just a sign up sheet at the front of the folder with a bunch of 1 hr slots to "sign up" for next week...so all the kids are doing it.

So, basically it is like a parent-teacher conference? but at home? sounds like a lot of hassle for the teacher to drive all over town.

Ya I guess you could call it a parent-teacher conference where we are at a lot of families only have one car so I think it helps the families out by them coming to there home. some head starts will let you come to the school and do it you could always ask just tell them it would be easier for you. I did our end of the year one at the head start.

abunchoflemons 10-10-2012 09:34 AM

Kinda to sEe how kids are at home compared to school. We had home visit with preschool through state/government funds. kinda a conference at home as well.

ohgirlohboyohno 10-10-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons (Post 15793312)
Kinda to sEe how kids are at home compared to school. We had home visit with preschool through state/government funds. kinda a conference at home as well.

But they are scheduling it while the kids are in school :headscratch: so they aren't going to see the kids...I sure hope we don't have to do 2 different ones since I have 2 kids in there....hmmm maybe I should ask about this.

mommy2sammy 10-10-2012 09:50 AM

I was wondering about this too. Ds goes to public preschool and we were told there would be 2 home visits, the first one is scheduled for next week.

reneaumommy 10-10-2012 09:56 AM

My guess is they want to see the environment the child is coming from. It is not a CPs visit it is just a check in. Just have the house decent and it will be fine.