Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Class Project: Why do/don't you buy WAHM diapers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452356)

TrennaII 10-10-2012 11:09 AM

Ok this is for a project in a business class I'm taking, so I hope it's OK to post this here. I figure doing it here, WAHMs can benefit too. I'm doing research on the WAHM cloth diaper market in particular.

I have to develop a Survey Monkey survey next, and I'll post it wherever it's OK to do so at that time (and will share the results somehow with the WAHMs).

There will also be questions for WAHMs, about their business, in the WAHM section.

Some starter questions ... answer some of these, or none if you just want to add your 2 cents to the discussion:

How much of your stash is WAHM made?

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)?

How pleased have you been with your WAHM purchases (and why?)

Why don't you buy more (or any) WAHM diapers?

If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash?

And can I PM you if I have further questions?

TIA for helping with my project! This is so much more interesting than researching biotech or burger places! (Now I'm off to visit the Cottonbabies store, and 2 other cloth stores in the area ... I love Portland ...).

boysniris 10-10-2012 11:37 AM

Re: Class Project: Why do/don't you buy WAHM diapers?

I do have a small WAHM business, so I wasn't sure if it was okay to answer but I'm pretty sure my answers would be the same, either way :)

2/3 of the stash is WAHM

Reputation, ability to get custom in exactly the fabrics my son needed (he needed stay-dry inners but breathable fleece covers/outers), the price for WAHM was not that much more than if I were to buy what he needed from a non-WAHM business, and our budget allowed me to go ahead and spend the little bit extra (comparable, non-WAHM product would maybe be $3-8 less per item, at most).

With some WAHM diapers, I tried a used one off FSOT to see if it would be acceptable, and then, when it was great, I went ahead and ordered more of them.

Very pleased; even things I purchased secondhand, that needed new elastics, have really been great construction/quality.

My son is PLing and moving out of diapers during the daytime. He has plenty of nighttime diapers. I sewed his trainers, but we don't really use them much right now.

If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash?

YES!

qhorses8 10-10-2012 11:55 AM

How much of your stash is WAHM made? Very little, I have 5 WAHM diapers all from the same seller
How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)? I choose becase of the prints and cheap price, seemed well liked on her Facebook account
How pleased have you been with your WAHM purchases (and why?) nope, I order a cover and asked for flip like flaps, only had a front flap the first time that was way too big and after a remake still wasn't happy but gave up.
Why don't you buy more (or any) WAHM diapers? Cost is usually high as name brand or higher. I like flips and couldn't find someone who had a flip like cover with reviews to know it was good after my poor first experiance
If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash? No, But I would have more WAHM diaper because I wouldn't be afraid of wasting money on something I didn't like.

mamatoclaire 10-10-2012 12:06 PM

I have never bought a WAHM diaper because I don't want to sort through all the stores on Etsy and Hyena Cart, then figure out what I want, then either wait for a stocking or a custom. I do not have the patience to stalk and then maybe get a diaper. There's no way I would build a stash that way. Also the WAHM stores I have looked at tend to have poor pictures and descriptions, so I'm not going to bother messaging for details. They also seem to be more expensive generally. My whole stash is of readily available diapers bought from sales. I also read lots of information and reviews before trying something new, and that is harder to find for WAHMs IME.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

mrspopo 10-10-2012 12:26 PM

How much of your stash is WAHM made? Just a few B4s and some testers on the way from a local mama. Oh and a set of custom embroidered nana pants.

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)? I'm on a local FB group that covets B4s so I had to join them. I've bought other WAHMs to try out new styles or cute prints.

How pleased have you been with your WAHM purchases (and why?) I've been a little disappointed and I think it's because there isn't as much pre-purchase info available about how they fit and how well they hold up. And I've lost a lot of money re-selling WAHM dipes. I like commercially available dipes because there is usually less variation in the construction.

Why don't you buy more (or any) WAHM diapers? Too many unknowns, and I haven't had any that I've just loved in the 2 dozen or so that we've tried. There's also "limitless" options on prints, I kind of like collecting prints from a certain maker and knowing that I've collected them all.

If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash? Nope!

boysniris 10-10-2012 12:40 PM

I wanted to add something (after reading other answers :blush:)

I, also, would not buy from WAHMs where there are poor pics, missing information, no specifics about the product or the construction, lack of reviews or feedback, no return/guarantee policy, etc. It is NOT worth that kind of risk to shop WAHM.

FriedaT 10-10-2012 01:49 PM

Currently, 11 covers and 2 fitteds that I no longer use and should probably sell. I've tried about 12 or so different WAHM brands in the past year though. My stash has had as little as 2 WAHM diapers and has had as much as more than half my stash being WAHM.

Some were bought based on reputation and some were bought because they were adorable.

Honestly, pretty disappointed. Especially in the ones that I read rave reviews on before deciding to buy. It was different reasons for different diapers but some are that things just didn't fit well, were bulky after reading about how trim they were, were difficult to clean, craftsmanship varied, listings weren't very detailed, or the diaper showed wear very quickly.
There are two WAHM brands that I still love but we don't use anymore due to my DD's skin and shape, it's been easier to just streamline to wool covers, cotton diapers, and hemp doublers. I'd still recommend those WAHM's to anyone though.

We've just streamlined our stash to cotton, hemp, and wool. I knit her wool so no WAHM there either. If we hadn't though, I really hate stalking but I know that it's completely necessary and no fault of the WAHM since they can't mass-produce their items to have everything always in stock. I've also grown wary of trying new WAHM stuff since I've been so disappointed in the past.

No. At one point I had wanted one, but when those diapers no longer worked for us I had no more desire.

Kabuki24 10-10-2012 01:59 PM

How much of your stash is WAHM made? I maybe have 10 WAHM diapers. So, maybe 10% about.

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)? Thrill of the stock, they tend to be super cute. I love that you can customize what you want. Some are trendy and I fell for that too.

How pleased have you been with your WAHM purchases (and why?) They are very well made, but I have to admit, I always find something wrong with everything pretty much and sell them. I just prefer mainstream diapers. I would say 50% pleased.

Why don't you buy more (or any) WAHM diapers? I'm just don't like trying everything anymore. I might start buying WAHM outfits and cute clothes though. I really like size M ragababes but sick of stalking.

If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash? No, I prefer mainstream diapers. I'm in love with OS Simplex.

jennayoung99 10-10-2012 02:01 PM

How much of your stash is WAHM made? i have 1 in my OS stash, and 1 in my NB stash.

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)? the newborn fitted had great reviews, and my OS was a custom design.

How pleased have you been with your WAHM purchases (and why?) i really liked them, the WAHMs are always really sweet and the quality was good.

Why don't you buy more (or any) WAHM diapers? i'm really cheap, even tho my stash is mostly big name brands i hate buying new, buying a diaper for more than $15 is really hard for me. plus stalking is too much work.

If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash? yes i would!! i see so many really cute WAHM brands with great reviews and i really do want to try them all!!!

MotherMoonPads 10-10-2012 02:04 PM

How much of your stash is WAHM made? My DD has PL'd, but 99% of her stash was WAHM made

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)? Reputation, prints, I knew the styles that worked for us

How pleased have you been with your WAHM purchases (and why?) The vast majority of my WAHM purchases were amazing. The few that weren't, well I should have looked closer at the photos and feedback of the WAHM :goodvibes:

Why don't you buy more (or any) WAHM diapers? I have no one in diapers. I wouldn't hesitate to have an all WAHM stash if we had another.

If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash? Absolutely. I really value with whom I chose to spend my money, and supporting other WAHMs is very high on my priority list. I'd rather buy from a WAHM than a big box store any day.