Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   How do you keep your body in shape between pregnanies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452404)

Ashleah143 10-10-2012 11:58 AM

How do you keep your body in shape between pregnanies?

We just had our 4th 3 months ago and I'm struggling with my weight. When I breastfeed my body holds on to weight. I officially weigh more right now than I did the day I gave birth. It's really discouraging.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-10-2012 12:10 PM

Re: How do you keep your body in shape between pregnanies?

:hugs: So far, I've not kept myself in shape. I am about to finish up this pregnancy at a higher weight than I finished my first twin pregnancy. :( Unfortunately, I really can't blame it on the kids. I tend to lose all my weight VERY quickly after I deliver. In fact, with my last twin pregnancy, I lost 5lbs more than I gained within 10 days of delivering. But, then, I gain weight because I don't eat well or exercise regularly. It's sad really because I know it's important. I'm just so tired and I prefer fast easy not healthy junk food.

Sorry, I don't have any good advice. Oh, I can say, that we have a family gym membership. My children LOVE to go and play there. The problem we have is someone always seems to have a cold with so many littles. When they are sick, I can't go either. But, I do really enjoy it. We go in the evening. It's nice because I get 1-1.5 hrs free from the kids and I work out with my husband. It's almost like a date every evening. *almost* :laugh:

Also, just as a side note, my husband is a body builder. So.......he always goes and we really don't look like we fit together because he is lean and muscular and I'm pretty overweight. *sigh*

AnimalHouse 10-10-2012 12:17 PM

I don't do any particular program or diet. Basically, I just try to eat balanced diet (that also includes sweets, because I don't believe in depriving myself :giggle:) and stay active. I don't count calories, but I try to be mindful that in order to lose weight, and maintain, you need to burn more calories than you consume. Because I allow myself to eat sweets and fast food, I have to make sure that my activity levels reflect that. I really like doing exercise DVDs at home... Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred is a good one. Going for walks or jogs twice a day are a nice, relaxing way for me to burn calories as well.

raisingcropsandbabies 10-10-2012 02:21 PM

Ugh. I had 4 kids in 4 years and becuase of csections and the ban on working out after them for 12-16 weeks, i have a hard time with this. I can 't workout due to abdominal/incision pain for the first 6-7 months though and by that time i am pregnant again! Ah!
This time around though i was finally able to start a regular workout routine when #4 was around 9 mos old (its at night when they go to bed). I am now starting to lose weight and get into shape and dh and i are being very careful not to repeat the past pattern (working out = pregnancy, that is). If we do decide to have a 5th, i told dh i would really like to lose 20-30 lbs. before.

I love to workout and am active on the farm and with the kids.... my problem is portion control.... because we drink raw milk, eat real butter, etc., i need to be way better about it. If only dh was more supportive!

All this to say, i have not stayed in shape between pregnancies, but i am hoping to change that (yay condoms... kind of ). :)

My mom says, "i only kept 5 lbs. From each pregnancy. The problem is i had 7 kids!" Haha

SaraElise 10-10-2012 05:33 PM

I will preface this by saying that I am one of the lucky ones who loses weight while breastfeeding (I gain a ton when they wean but luckily that has only happened once between pregnancies so far!)

After my daughter I ran 3-5 times a week after my husband was home and on weekends and counted calories but with the extra calories allowed for breastfeeding and running I actually struggled to eat enough to actually lose weight. I didn't cut anything out just recorded it all. I was actually in better shape after my 3rd than before I had my first.

The most important thing for me was scheduling the runs into my week because if I just waited until I had time there never was any.

abunchoflemons 10-10-2012 05:46 PM

I started to do cardio boxing with wii & it seemed to help, walk. Leg lifts help on the tummy if u can (someone push & u try not to hit floor, or u just lift up & down & not hit floor urself). Walking asmuchas u can.

luvsviola 10-10-2012 09:46 PM

I love My Fitness Pal. There is an app for your phone, and a more functional website. Its free.

I also love Couch to 5K, which also has a free app. I've lost 10 pounds and a pants size in about a month. I was so scared of running, and the Couch to 5K app really helps you get started in a way that is accessible to almost anyone and it only takes 30 minutes 3 times a week. You start out running 60 seconds and walking 90 seconds. I thought I was going to die the first day! But now at 5 weeks, I can run for 5 minutes straight and be ok. The nice thing about it is the app tells you when to start walking and when to start running, so you don't even have to pay attention. You can just zone out and have "me" time and it tells you exactly what to do. There is no thinking involved. So far, I've converted 3 people to do it, and all 3 love it too.

I recommend both of these to anyone looking to make a lifestyle change. MyFitnessPal will change the way you look at food.

scwendy 10-11-2012 04:43 AM

I have had 4 and am pregnant with #5, all C/S. I delayed ab work-outs until 6 weeks. i started out just walking and bike riding (things I could do with the kids).

A couple of months out between baby 3 and 4 and baby 4 and 5, I started P90X. I did the work-outs AND the nutrition plan. The nutrition plan was key to my success as it forces you to eat enough and eat well (or you will NOT get the most out of the work-outs). Another plus is you are better off eating well when nursing:)

That said, I work FT outside the home and I had to get up at 4 to 4:30 am to get in the hour + work-out before going off to work. It IS rigorous, but I look and feel strong and pretty much all around awesome when I am working out and eating right.

raisingcropsandbabies 10-11-2012 04:51 AM

scwendy-you must heal really well after your c-sections! By the time my babies are around 3-4 months old all I can do is go take walks with the kids... I couldn't do ab workouts till my babies were around 7 months old or so... way too painful! I'm jealous! My doc said no workouts till 12 weeks post-op, yours must say different?

AnimalHouse 10-11-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15796510)
I love My Fitness Pal. There is an app for your phone, and a more functional website. Its free.

I also love Couch to 5K, which also has a free app. I've lost 10 pounds and a pants size in about a month. I was so scared of running, and the Couch to 5K app really helps you get started in a way that is accessible to almost anyone and it only takes 30 minutes 3 times a week. You start out running 60 seconds and walking 90 seconds. I thought I was going to die the first day! But now at 5 weeks, I can run for 5 minutes straight and be ok. The nice thing about it is the app tells you when to start walking and when to start running, so you don't even have to pay attention. You can just zone out and have "me" time and it tells you exactly what to do. There is no thinking involved. So far, I've converted 3 people to do it, and all 3 love it too.

I recommend both of these to anyone looking to make a lifestyle change. MyFitnessPal will change the way you look at food.

I've been wanting to try Couch to 5k! Pre-babies, I was running 5-6 miles a day, but now I think I'd die if I tried to run one mile :giggle:.