Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Parenting Talk (
-   -   DD swallowed a penny...wwyd? (

Celeste 10-10-2012 01:31 PM

Oh why do these things happen right at naptime, when everyone is tired and grumpy?!

Faith swallowed a penny. It went down, no choking or coughing. I mean, I heard her cough a bit initially, but she stopped and hasn't since. She said her tummy hurts. I asked her to point to where it hurts, and she pointed to her belly, not her throat. The ped said that if I bring her in, they will send me for an xray. Or I could.go to the ER, where DH is working today. He could get us right in. Or I could wait and see how she is after naps (which is probably what I will do...ds is already asleep and I think she is too. I made her lay down.) Wwyd? Who's got experience.with this one?

Update - She fell.asleep and took a good nap. She woke up, ate dinner, and hasn't complained about it since. I'm not planning on taking her in unless she starts complaining again. Not sure how I will be able to look for it in her poop, since she's potty trained. I guess I could have her poop in a diaper for a couple of days so I can look for it? Gross!!

HeatherlovesCDs 10-10-2012 01:44 PM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
Unfortunately, I do have experience with this. Sorry you do too now. :( When my son swallowed one, they told us it was important to get the x-ray because we needed to make sure it was actually in his stomach. Sometimes they get stuck on the way down and you don't realize it until there is suddenly a problem, like it turning in there and suddenly blocking the airway. I really didn't think it was a big deal and didn't want to take mine to the ER, but that was what my ped told us to do and my BIL who is a GP said he agreed. *sigh* So, off we went to the ER. We saw the penny in his stomach and that was that. We just waited a few days and had to make sure it passed, which it did within like 24-48 hrs. I can't remember exactly.

Anyway, I don't think you need to wake everyone up, but my understanding is that you do need to get an x-ray just to make sure. Sorry. :hugs:

ETA - We have a large ER co-pay. So, if it was me and my ped was willing to order and x-ray that could be done right away at an outpatient clinic, I'd go that route instead. Whatever is easier/better for you would work.

OHIOFIFI 10-10-2012 07:17 PM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
DD did this and we had to have an xray for the reasons PP said - make sure it was in the stomach and not lodged elsewhere. We are lucky enough to have a children's urgent care that does xrays and labs so we went there. It passed within a day or two with no problems.

EDIT -- by the way, love your DD name ;)

SaraElise 10-10-2012 07:28 PM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
My daughter swallowed a small bell and they told us the same thing. We had to come in and make sure it was in her stomach and then wait for it to pass. Expensive for the ER visit, but we have one awesome picture to show her when she is older now

BSWmama 10-10-2012 07:40 PM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
My friend's 3 year old swallowed a quarter. Her ped told her just to watch for it in his poop within the next few days, which she tried to do, but he was potty trained. Presumably, it passed...

thoennes6 10-11-2012 11:57 AM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
DS did this. Ped to us to watch for it to pass. He wasn't pt at the time so I could check for it passing. Good luck.

dressagemom 10-11-2012 09:30 PM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
DS2 swallowed a penny when he was about a year old. He eventually passed it in his poop. I think it took about 3-4 days. We did not have any X-rays performed.

JennTheMomma 10-11-2012 09:41 PM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
Keep an eye on the poop for a few days, unless you think there are other problems (not being fully down in the stomach. Those symptoms could be pain when swollowing, breathing, etc). If it's not in the poop in a few days I'd give a call to the Ped. They may do an x-ray if it hasn't passed within a few days. Good luck momma!

DalesWidda 10-12-2012 06:54 AM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
I would take her in. My oldest swallowed a penny when she was four and thank God we went in because it was stuck in her esophegous. They had to push a tube down her throat twice to knock it into her stomach. A few days later she pooped it out.

mommycass 10-12-2012 07:44 AM

Re: DD swallowed a penny...wwyd?
My DD swallowed a penny when she was about 12 months. It got stuck, she kept gagging and vomiting but it was to far down to see or reach. She had to be put under and it had to be pulled out with a scope. So horrifying but she was fine after.
I'm sure your LO will pass it just fine, you can try to look at her poop in the toilet but I wouldnt worry about diapers:)

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.