Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Traveling with an infant (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452471)

1healthylady 10-10-2012 02:30 PM

Traveling with an infant

DD is 5 weeks. Tomorrow we leave for a weekend trip for my sister's wedding. It's usually a 12 hour drive but I know it could be much longer this time. I think we're going to use sposies in the car. I'm breastfeeding, but will also be taking my pump with me and a car adapter. Any advice for a first time mom on the road?

Sent from my Android using DS Forum

EmilytheStrange 10-10-2012 02:35 PM

Diapers and boobs - you'll be fine :)

Just count on stopping every 2 hrs or so for however long it takes to feed the baby.

Leanbh 10-10-2012 09:32 PM

Re: Traveling with an infant

That age is easy, much harder when they are toddlers. Just plan on frequent road stops, dress LO in light clothing, light blanket maybe, they tend to get hot in a car I find.

I just did a short 2 hour drive with my now 11 month old, so nice to have the older kids in the back as I stashed them full of pacifiers (spares), puffs and toys for if baby got cranky. He slept most of the way and did fine on the way back. On the way I did pull over and BF him.

Mirror to see your LO if you don't have it already.

luvsviola 10-10-2012 10:00 PM

At 6 weeks, we took DD2 to Disney for 10 days while I was still on maternity leave. It was awesome!

Take a good carrier. Plan to stop for meals. Pumping in the car is a PITA. I'd just stop every 2-3 hours and feed her.

Best advice...leave a space in the backseat to change diapers.

AniMommy 10-10-2012 10:50 PM

Put the car seat in seat so that you can get in the back easily. Don't be like me on our first trip w baby in the middle, climbing over the seats and diving into the back seat only to find there was barely any room and my seat belt had to go under car seat to attach.

Have bottles ready so that you can feed baby wo stopping. I know at that age bf could take 45 min, I had pumped a bunch in advance for bottles so that we weren't sitting on the side of the road while I was nursing.

Have mobile diaper station ready to go and in easy reach. A receiving blanket covering back seat, diapers and wipes are all you need. Plastic grocery bags are good to contain any grossness until you can get rid of it.

Also the receiving blanket can be used as a sun cover in a rolled up window if you need it.

Van1300 10-11-2012 06:33 AM

Be wary if the baby hasn't been in the car for many drives yet. Nursing and then hitting thr road might cause an upset tummy. Just have a lot of extra burp cloths around and hopefully the car will soothe the baby to sleep :)

abunchoflemons 10-11-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15794707)
Diapers and boobs - you'll be fine :)

Just count on stopping every 2 hrs or so for however long it takes to feed the baby.

Agree. We had to stop lots to change on norm 4 hr drive was 6 first time at about a month old. Back was more. We ate too but pee more. So if u want to get there at a particular time add time 4 eat & changing. Our next trip in aug here was a bit faster & still was a bit late. I think its about 3hr but was more than 5 for wedding since hubby had to work night b4. We calculated stopping & still wasn't enough....

1healthylady 10-12-2012 01:05 AM

We made it! Somehow with 2 dogs and a baby we only added an extra hour to the trip. We packed sandwiches so mixed the food stops which helped. We had 3 nursing stops which averaged 30 minutes each, and I fed her while we were stuck in Atlanta rush hour traffic :blush: Something I said I wouldn't do. But she was screaming we really weren't moving and there was no hope for an exit. She's a good little traveler! Hoping for the same good fortune on the return.

Sent from my Android using DS Forum