Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Newborn poop help needed now! Please!!! (diaper-related) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14525)

Psychomom 06-15-2006 07:47 AM

Newborn poop help needed now! Please!!! (diaper-related)

I am posting this for my friend. She is just baffled. Her baby will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and she is exclusively breastfed. She mostly CDs her in Kissaluv 0s. When she poops, it's the usual seedy, mustardy poop--except that it turns weird colors and is staining all her diapers. Not your usual staining...I mean, this is WEIRD!!! The first time she pulled the diapers out of the pail to wash, her diapers were a *bright* pink. She washed them several times and they are now stained a dark purple. She got rid of her pail liner, thinking that it bled onto her diapers (her liner was red), but the next set of dirty diapers did the same thing. It's really just the ones at the bottom of the pail (the oldest ones) that are doing this. She even got a new pail, and this time she decided to wash after 1 day (around 32 hours) to see what her dipes looked like. The second to oldest poop diaper in the pail was turning green and the oldest poop diaper was orange turning pink. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON???? She is afraid to use her diapers because she doesn't want to ruin them.

CMamma 06-15-2006 08:02 AM

Re: Newborn poop help needed now! Please!!! (diaper-related)

Well first of all, IMO diapers are for poop & pee so staining is no concern of mine. Also, she can try sunning them or using lemon juice on the stains to sun them out. Hate to see someone not use dipes b/c they worry about staining, but that's an individual preference.

The color thing - we've had that too... we have PFs w/a weird purple/eggplant staining & covers w/weird pink.

Psychomom 06-15-2006 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottonMamma
Well first of all, IMO diapers are for poop & pee so staining is no concern of mine.

Right, but she is afraid the diapers are ruined and not resellable. Or if someone does buy them, she will have to sell them for next to nothing. The resale value is very important to her because she needs to money to upsize in a few weeks.

offlikeapromdress 06-15-2006 08:05 AM

perhaps its something she is eating that is causing the baby's poop to change like that.

Psychomom 06-15-2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offlikeapromdress
perhaps its something she is eating that is causing the baby's poop to change like that.

That did cross her mind, but she can't think of anything unusual, besides some medication she is taking that she didn't take when her other kids were newborns. She is on synthroid for an underactive thyroid.

offlikeapromdress 06-15-2006 08:18 AM

Well, meds can do it also. She should use some fleece liners to catch the poo. I bought some fleece at Walmart and just cut the strips myself to fit in my dipes. That way I rarely get poo on my dipes and if I get a little the sun generally will take it out. Id rather have stained liners than stained dipes. Plus the fleece I bought is a print so I cant even see stains.

Zany Zebra Mama 06-15-2006 08:19 AM

Wow, that is weird! I've never heard of anything like that before! I guess I'd say she should keep trying to wash as often as possible, then sun them with lemon juice. I suppose if worse comes to worst she could try bleaching them - if there's nothing to lose anyway, why not?

Hillbilly Bunny 06-15-2006 08:20 AM

It should sun out fine ;) My dd went through this pink and purple phase too. I guess after the diapers sit in the pail it creates a chemical reaction. None of my diapers held a stain! The sun always took them out ;)