Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Keeping it clean (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452508)

Armymom31 10-10-2012 05:31 PM

Keeping it clean

how in the world do i prevent a giant mess every time i breast feed? I swear she is doing fine, the milk drops, then she pulls away only get get a full squirt over her shoulder or down my shirt. My bras are soaked, my shirt it gross, and since I will be doing this till she says stop I NEED to know how to keep it clean.

stevensmom 10-10-2012 05:32 PM

Re: Keeping it clean

i ended up having to put a receiving blanket under my breast that helped clean up the messes. And also something I could use to cover my nipple when she pulled away

sweetpeapumpkinbaby 10-10-2012 05:35 PM

How old is your baby? I ask because in the beginning, I had major leakage, but as my supply regulated it got better and better, and got to the point that i don't leak at night, or need breast pads anymore. So, it might get better! In the meantime, breast pads and a prefold or burpcloth to help catch the leaks when nursing on the other side will help.

strongwoman 10-10-2012 05:41 PM

Lol, I'm always a mess the first few weeks! With my first I was squirting breast milk all over the place, he would burp up large amounts of milk down the back of my shirt, and my bras would be soaked. I found that using a wash cloth under my breast helped to catch the leaks and using a receiving blanket instead of a burp cloth would catch his burp ups. I also found that pumping or expressing beforehand really helped to keep my milk from over flowing- but that means that you will always have extra milk. I just save it in milk bags for days when I am wanting to go out and the hubs has to feed. Hope things get less "gross" for you!

starbeam 10-10-2012 05:50 PM

i agree, it will get less messy, but have a few hand towels nearby

tesslouise 10-10-2012 10:06 PM

With my first, I leaked and needed breast pads for 9 months. When my milk would let down on the side DD was not nursing from, I'd hold a prefold firmly against that breast. Nonetheless, milk got everywhere in my house. On my (closed) laptop. On the bathroom counter. On the floor. Everywhere. THEN you factor in a baby with reflux and YIKES. I kept a stack of prefolds as designated burp cloths, and when those were all soaked I moved on to my stack of cleaning rags (cheap washcloths from the car-care section at Walmart).

It's gross. It isn't any fun. I was bathing baby and myself every single morning. But it does get better. And it's rather funny in retrospect.

Lauren1041 10-11-2012 10:39 AM

When my youngest was in the early days I was leaking all the time. My 5 year old son gave me and baby a hug and kiss one morning and said with much concern "mom you smell like throw up". It was sour milk from the night!

Wear pads, and it should improve. I'm 3 months pp and only leak a tiny bit in the mornings.

l_Kimmie_l 10-11-2012 10:45 AM

I still get the leaking here and there. I could wear pads but just do not bother as normally it does not happen now that he is 6 months old. If he pulls off when the milk is spraying, I catch it with a cloth or my hand. I would just have some cloths or receiving blankets around for a bit. Where pads all the time, too.

Jdela 10-12-2012 01:22 AM

I have the exact same problem!

Armymom31 10-14-2012 08:28 PM

I usually sleep with a towel under me at night for when i'm nursing and its not the night that's the problem, its during the day when i'm in my work clothes and trying to stay fresh lol. My mom bought me a huge stack of plain white wash clothes that have saved my life.