Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   When does pregnancy start to affect nursing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452522)

MamaLump 10-10-2012 05:03 PM

When does pregnancy start to affect nursing?

As in, when do the nipples start to get sore, when does milk start to dry up, when does it change to colostrum? I'm only 5 weeks, but want to be prepared.

kannondicarpo 10-10-2012 05:16 PM

Re: When does pregnancy start to affect nursing?

Mine get sore right away and then it gets better. I dried up each time around 4-5 months along and my colostrum has come in at a different time with each of them. Hope that helps a little. It's good to be prepared but everyone is different. I have lots of friends who never dried up while pregnant.

abunchoflemons 10-10-2012 05:49 PM

I dereased & lost the nursing battle in first month. I think in last few months is when it typically changes back to collostrum.

VeganCupcake 10-10-2012 06:36 PM

Nipple soreness and sensitivity was almost instantaneous. Milk changes in composition and in taste from conception, pretty much. I started to notice a decrease in supply around 16 or so weeks, I think. Neither decreased supply nor changed taste stopped my nursling from nursing, though.

granolamama4 10-10-2012 07:08 PM

For me nipple soreness didnt start until I was 3 months along. I also had a decrease in supply starting around 4 months. Colostrum came in towards the end of my pregnancy. I know for me the soreness really coincided with the decrease in supply which is normal. I did stick it out and have been tandem nursing for 7 months now. My babies are 16 months apart

l_Kimmie_l 10-11-2012 09:39 AM

I got sore right away and my supply began to dwindle right away. I had to go on Reglan to nurse my baby for a full year. I dried up at 6 months along when my DS was 1 yr old. I wish I had not as he was still not eating solids and needed breastmilk. I had no choice though as I was on everything and not making anymore milk.

Skatha89 10-12-2012 07:15 AM

My breasts got sore around 5w-14w, I'm 33 weeks tomorrow and still nursing my DS. I have recently dried up on his non-preferred side, but still have milk on his preferred side.

tibeca 10-12-2012 09:45 AM

I know I'm pregnant because the ovulatory soreness I get doesn't fade. The soreness comes and goes during my pregnancies, peaking as things get really dry around 4-5 months, then ease up some with some days worse than others. My supply is generally affected by 2 months, but not completely dry until 4-5 months. 1-2 months after, colostrum comes in and eases things up some. I make about 2-3 tbsp colostrum per side, so it is better. But I have always been nursing toddlers (18+ months) by then, so not even close to enough milk to not have them be angry at me.

AnimalHouse 10-12-2012 10:20 AM

It varies from person to person, honestly. I'm 35 weeks pregnant now, and still nursing DS3 (14 months old).

My breasts were sore in the first trimester, they were fine in the second trimester, and now they're sore again. I never had any nipple soreness, though.

I had a slight decrease in my milk supply during the second trimester, but I never actually dried up... I started taking More Milk Two, and still produced more than enough to EBF DS3. I only took More Milk Two for about 6 weeks, before my supply ramped back up to where it was pre-pregnancy, so I stopped taking the supplement.

As for colostrum... I'm just over 35 weeks along, and I'm still producing milk, but I think it's starting to switch over to colostrum. My LLL leader said some women don't have a change until delivery, or right before it!

c&w's mama 10-12-2012 03:39 PM

thanks, mamas! I'm glad I saw this for future reference (I hope!) and you all give me hope that I have a shot at pregnancy before I (really DS) decide its time to stop...