Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Drooling in an almost 3 year old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452556)

tmy237 10-10-2012 06:30 PM

Drooling in an almost 3 year old

My little guy isn't teething anymore, he's 2 1/2. He's been drooling for months and months. He drooled when he was cutting teeth and stopped .. then started again. He drools and his shirt gets all wet and he just has it dripping everywhere and he doesn't mind at all.

I don't know if it's a medical thing or something he'll eventually grow out of? I guess I don't know if this is a big enough concern that I should schedule an appointment with his ped. for this, or just wait until his next well child visit (when he's 3).

Anyone had any experience with this?

SaraElise 10-10-2012 06:34 PM

Re: Drooling in an almost 3 year old

Are you sure he is not getting his 2 year molars? My kids turned into fountains when those teeth were coming in.

tmy237 10-10-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraElise (Post 15795791)
Are you sure he is not getting his 2 year molars? My kids turned into fountains when those teeth were coming in.

Yup, he has all his teeth in. He'll be 3 in January, so I guess he's closer to 3 than 2.

juliasmom 10-10-2012 06:39 PM

I would mention it to his pedi...it could be a sign of oral motor issues that could benefit from some therapy. How is his speech? Does he have an open mouth posture?

knodceo 10-10-2012 06:40 PM

My sisters daughter did this. We had to explain to her that she needed to swallow. After a week of constant nagging it stopped.

moms5angels 10-10-2012 06:41 PM

a few of my kids didnt get there 2yr molers in untill they were closer to 3 so i think it might b that. has he been seen by a dentist? just to see if all his teeth r in. my son jayvien will b 3 in jan & hes just getting his in now.

tmy237 10-10-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 15795806)
I would mention it to his pedi...it could be a sign of oral motor issues that could benefit from some therapy. How is his speech? Does he have an open mouth posture?

I can understand him, but I'm sure others might have a hard time. It's hard to tell if it's just normal 2-3 year old speech or if it's not?? His older sister started talking really early and was very different than her little brother.

Most of the very excessive drooling is when he's talking.

Melinda29 10-10-2012 08:48 PM

Check with the doc, check with the dentist, just to be sure.

My oldest did this until he was....6 I think? He had no physical problems that could be seen, no speech problems, nothing. At your child's age, it is very common for the parents to be ale to understand almost everything and others to be able to understand only about half of what the child is saying.

My oldest was (still is) a VERY oral child. He puts things in his mouth more than his 10-month-old teething sister. Teething necklaces did nothing, in fact he pulled on it so hard to try to mouth it, that he broke it. We have debated doing consequences for it, just to stop the cycle because as a result he seems to be sick ALL the time (big surprise), but it seems like such a silly thing to "punish". He seems to be outgrowing it anyway.

luvsviola 10-10-2012 10:04 PM

I'd talk to the doc. There are several causes. DS has a swallowing disorder, and has had major drool issues at various times that seem to come and go. There are meds that can stop some of the drool production, too. But I'll bet a speech pathologist can help.

mg5g 10-11-2012 02:02 AM

Yep I too would say check with your dr. Our oldest did this and it was because his adnoids were so big he couldn't breathe through his nose properly so he never closed his mouth all the way.