Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Separate Family Cloth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452580)

TypeAMom 10-10-2012 08:40 PM

Separate Family Cloth?

Not sure if anyone does separate family cloth, but I use it for myself and have been using my daughter's wipes for the potty for her now that she's potty training. I know some people say it's fine to share family cloth; I actually think most families share it. I'm not one of those people, though, so was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. My family (I guess "personal") cloth and cloth pads and liners get washed together as I end up w/ enough to do a small load, and I was thinking of washing my daughter's on her own but was wondering how long hers could go between washes. I know I'm not being totally green, but I only want to use them for urine and since my daughter doesn't have a period or anything, I was just wondering if I could get her a larger stash so I could wash them separately.

My other question is that we use our 2 bathrooms all day long, so I'd really like to have our cloth stashes in each bathroom and separate small trashcans in each, but don't know how I'd store everything. Currently, I have a trashcan in one bathroom so I use tp in the other bathroom (which I don't want to do any more) and my daughter's used ones are stored in her travel wet bag. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

GEM Cloth 10-10-2012 08:49 PM

Re: Separate Family Cloth?

Not sure on how long to go between washes, but I've found some in my daughters' bathroom that didn't make it into the bucket and have been there long enough to dry out. We rinse ours out in the sink immediately after use. So they had probably been there a week or so or maybe longer. We store ours in a basket on the back of the toilet and put the dirty ones in an old plastic ice cream bucket under the sink. So you could do two baskets for the clean and two receptacles for the dirties.

TypeAMom 10-10-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEM Cloth (Post 15796088)
We rinse ours out in the sink immediately after use.

Even when just used for urine? I'm still doing potty training though, so I might be desensitized to pee on fabric. :giggle:

I was thinking 2 of each (clean and dirty storage) in each bathroom like you suggested, but our bathrooms are small. Wish I could find super skinny bunk trashcans or something.

GEM Cloth 10-11-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeAMom (Post 15796322)
Even when just used for urine? I'm still doing potty training though, so I might be desensitized to pee on fabric. :giggle:

I was thinking 2 of each (clean and dirty storage) in each bathroom like you suggested, but our bathrooms are small. Wish I could find super skinny bunk trashcans or something.

When we don't rinse the smell gets strong quickly. That's just how we do it. I did that with my son's diapers too. Keeps the smell down.

You could put two containers for clean on the back of the toilet and two containers for dirty under the sink.

CMamma 10-12-2012 09:48 PM

I was the only one here that used them & kept them in a couple diff bathrooms. I just kept a basket on the back of the toilet to store the FC & in one bathroom had a small trashcan that I kept under the sink for any soiled FC, and the other I had a small, hanging wetbag that was just hung off the TP roll. I just washed when it was time to wash CDs or rags, every couple days.

TypeAMom 10-16-2012 07:54 PM

Thought this might be a little more green but was wondering about if I get a yeast infection or anything like that. I don't get them regularly, but I don't want to chance giving one to my daughter someday. Would this be hygienic enough? Storing used ones separately, washing my stuff on cold and doing a soak near the beginning of the wash cycle w/ some detergent and vinegar, then adding hers and washing w/ more detergent and vinegar and doing an extra cold rinse. Will that get them clean enough to not pass anything to her? BTW, we won't be using them for #2, just #1 which will still save us a ton of tp.