Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breast Infection? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452643)

sunyflwr 10-11-2012 03:16 AM

I have been dealing with some plugged ducts for about two weeks now. They wax and wane. Nothing overly painful though, just tender. Been doing the protocol for plugged ducts.

But I just woke up with a 101.5 fever and uncontrollable body aches. Could it be a breast infection even though my one breast is only tender, no redness or excess heat coming from it? My DH works in education, and his entire office is dropping like flies over one type of sickness or another. I personally feel like I just picked up a bug, but I am not sure since I have never had a breast infection before. Thoughts?

Brooke789 10-11-2012 03:28 AM

Re: Breast Infection?

When I had mastitis (when my twins were 14M old) it came on very suddenly. Everything was normal and then I just realized I wasn't feeling well and decided to take my temp. It was over 102. After that I went downhill reallyl fast and could barely even walk up the stairs (to put the babies to bed). I don't know if it really came on that quickly with no warning signs whatsoever or if I just hadn't noticed because I'd been so busy taking care of my twins alone for 3 weeks (while DH was out of town) that I just didn't have time to notice the symptoms.

loni1090 10-14-2012 09:50 PM

My sister got it too. It happened fast. She had to go on antibiotics

dncegrl 10-15-2012 12:02 AM

I got mastitis with my ds1 and it came on so fast. I had body aches and swinging temps. I got up to 103 then down to 100 and back and forth. I had to have antibiotics too

EcoNaturalBaby 10-18-2012 12:35 PM

I developed mastitis on two occasions and it was just as the above ladies described. I felt a little off as if I was coming down with something and my one breast was tender. In a few hours I went from that off feeling to feeling completely ill, as if I had the flu.

FunLovinMama 10-18-2012 09:40 PM

I've had a few and they can make you feel sooo sick. I ended up going to the er with my last one because it was really late and my temp was nearly 105, and my ob wouldn't call me in a script. No fun! I'd suggest laying in bed all day with your little one nursing, drink tons, do hot compresses and massage. Also having your partner massage the affected breast while little one nurses helps a lot. I've been able to kick it without antibiotics all but once. Hope you feel better, mama!

strongwoman 10-21-2012 12:43 AM

Two weeks of plugged ducts? That seems like a long time... I don't know if you have mastitis but I hope the ducts clear up fast. What is your protocol for clearing it up? My MW gave me a list of things to take to prevent mastitis from happening. Interested in what you are doing. Let us know!

willownz 10-21-2012 01:21 AM

The first time I had it I was weaning my son. Woke up one morning thinking I had the flu. Full on fever and shivering which progressed to vomiting and diarrhoea. On the third night I collapsed in the bathroom. I had full on bacterial septacemia, spent 3 days in ICU and two weeks in hospital total. I also developed an abcess where the ducts were plugged and I had those needle aspirated. I now have scar tissue and compromised supply in that breast.
Now when I get pugged ducts and any kind of fever I go to the doctor immediately. You do not want to end up in hospital.