Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   allergic to everything? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452742)

mars817 10-11-2012 11:15 AM

allergic to everything?

Anybody had a baby that gets rashes after eating almost everything? My son gets rashes 1-5 times a week. We have been cutting everything that he gets a rash after and are down to sweet potato and green beans that he can eat. The dr said to keep giving him things that give him rashes to try to build up his tolerance but it's hard for me to do, even though the rashes don't seem to bother him at all. She did say it could be a sign that he is going to have severe allergies and gave us an epipen just in case. Anyone else dealt with this? Does it get better? I'm afraid he's not going to be able to eat anything!

Beth. 10-11-2012 08:31 PM

Re: allergic to everything?

elliebella 10-12-2012 12:54 AM

TwistedBranches 10-12-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliebella
How big (heavy) is your son? I believe EpiPens, even the Jr version, have a minimum weight.

What kind or rash are you talking about? Hives? Where is the rash located? How soon after eating do the rashes develop?

Any chance that you could be cross-contaminating foods? E.G: Your son is allergic to dairy. You cut a piece of cheese for a sandwich for yourself and use the same knife to cut your son a piece of melon. Son develops rash. So you think he's allergic to melon, when it was really the trace amounts of cheese on the knife that caused the reaction.

Any change in detergents/soaps/etc?

Do you have a history of atopy in your families? Not just allergies, but any immune issues?

Unfortunately, most non-allergy doctors (and even some allergists) know nothing about food allergies. Our family doc is fantastic, but when I was first questioning whether my child had a dairy allergy, his advice was to give him straight milk and see if he reacted. Thankfully, I had already been researching on my own and knew that was a dangerous idea!

The idea of building up tolerance is horrible! The is very poor advice. While some foods are currently being studied in controlled tolerance testing, it should in no way be tried without direct medical supervision!

There are no cures for food allergies. The best way to have a chance at outgrowing them is strict avoidance.

It IS possible to have many, many food allergies. But, it is rare.

If I were you, I would keep a detailed journal of everything your son eats and comes into contact with. Look for correlations between rashes and what he ate and did and look for patterns. It took months for me to figure out one of my kid's allergies.

Look for an allergist in your area. Keep in mind that if you do end up doing tests for food allergies (skin or blood), they have a 50% false positive rate. The false negative rate is much, much lower. Some kids respond more accurately to one test over the other.

This.

Food allergies are hard to pinpoint without a journal. My DH is allergic to all live cultures (sour cream, cheese, yogurt, raw milk, etc) He found out when he was 2 and his mom kept making him grilled cheese sandwiches and making him eat them and he kept getting sick- he ended up being tested and they figured out his allergy.

Epi is good to have on hand in case or anaphylaxis. The pediatric dose is .01mg/kg up to .3mg, or .3ml of epi 1:1000.

Benadryl works for hives and is DH's first line of defense against potential allergic reactions (it can usually subdue it enough until epi can be given).

Either way, follow what your pediatrician recommends, and in the case of any severe reaction (swelling of throat, face, wheezing, etc), call 911 and get checked out in the ER.

Both DH and I are both medics and see this a lot- It's just really important to know when to call for help if you have to. (I hope this doesn't scare you, it isn't my intent!)

marliah 10-12-2012 09:02 AM

It's possible, my 2 year old has so many food sensitivities that it's easier for me to say what she can eat than what she can't. Food journals are a must and take intro to new foods slowly (like try them for 3-5 days) before saying they are "safe" for instance I tried her on oats again and it's the only new thing we tried, it took 3 days for her to get the red ring rash and have runny poops...
I second giving a child food you know bothers them as being terrible advice! People with celiacs can end up with sever intestinal damage if they continue to eat gluten products, and things like latex cross allergies can actually build up the sensitivity to an anaphylactic level....and I highly suggest looking into the latex cross sensitivities. My daughter is severely allergic to banana (severe throwing up and body rashes when she ate them once) so we have not tried any of the high level cross sensitive stuff just to play it safe.

My daughter is also sensitive to any synthetic fabrics and breaks out if she wears them, can't wear fitted diapers cause even encased elastic will cause her to break out (we use flats for diapering).

I really don't know what is causing this stuff, there are SO many children with many severe food allergies and if you research it back about 75 years ago no one even knew what the word allergy meant. :headscratch: something has changed but I can't figure it out. Growing up I only ever met two people who had food allergies, now it seems like everyone I know is allergic to something.

:hugs: momma, feel free to pm me if yu need support, there are three of us here on restricted diets (gluten free, casien free, soy free, and myself I am egg free as well ) my two year old has he most sensitivities thus far but our newest seems to be about the same, possibly more sensitive to gluten as I used to be able to eat it while nursing my 2 year old as long as she didn't eat it, but now if I eat any my youngest is a mess.......there are good foods to eat beyond all this stuff, hang in there, stick with the basic good stuff, meat, sweet potatoes, rice, vegetables, fruit. As he gets older there are good milk alternatives almond milk, rice milk, hemp milk, ect.

mars817 10-12-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliebella (Post 15801181)
How big (heavy) is your son? I believe EpiPens, even the Jr version, have a minimum weight.
He was 22lbs 5 oz 2 weeks ago, he is 7.5 months old. I will have to look into the minimum weight but I guess in a desperate time I would try that over nothing no matter what :/
What kind or rash are you talking about? Hives? Where is the rash located? How soon after eating do the rashes develop?
I don't think hives, I looked on line for pictures of hives and I don't think that is it, but maybe. It's mostly his face and chin and often behind his ears. It is red and raised (sometimes I think his cheeks are a bit swollen) and sometimes there are pimple looking bumps (whitehead looking). Sometimes his legs, belly, diaper area. I hadn't thought much of it before but a lot of times he has a red bottom too since starting solids, I thought it was just irratation but maybe that is rash too. It usually starts soon after eating 5-15 minutes, sometimes later and sometimes fine when he goes to bed but wakes up with bumps.

Any chance that you could be cross-contaminating foods? E.G: Your son is allergic to dairy. You cut a piece of cheese for a sandwich for yourself and use the same knife to cut your son a piece of melon. Son develops rash. So you think he's allergic to melon, when it was really the trace amounts of cheese on the knife that caused the reaction.
I don't think so. We are using jarred/pouches of baby food. His dr did say it might help if we started making our own

Any change in detergents/soaps/etc?
Nope, we have used all f&c and burts bees baby wash since he was born

Do you have a history of atopy in your families? Not just allergies, but any immune issues?
My husband has contact demetitius and bee sting allergies, his mother has problems with soy and some other stuff (alfalfa) that have caused anaphltic shock. My brother has celiacs so we already are avoiding gluten

The idea of building up tolerance is horrible! The is very poor advice. While some foods are currently being studied in controlled tolerance testing, it should in no way be tried without direct medical supervision!
That was sort of the feeling I had I'm going to get a second opinion. Other info, he ended up back in the hospital at 6 days for turning blue. They latched onto the idea that it was percocet in my breast milk and we stopped the breast milk and his oxygen levels got better. I only had 4 pills in 6 days though so I had trouble believing that but I'm starting to think it might have been stuff I was eating. My milk never really came in so he was always supplemented

There are no cures for food allergies. The best way to have a chance at outgrowing them is strict avoidance.

It IS possible to have many, many food allergies. But, it is rare.

If I were you, I would keep a detailed journal of everything your son eats and comes into contact with. Look for correlations between rashes and what he ate and did and look for patterns. It took months for me to figure out one of my kid's allergies.
While I haven't kept a journal, we did do 3 days of each thing, but it seems like the reactions start later than 3 days in most cases. I did keep track of what he was eating and elimanated that way, even though I regret it is not documented

Look for an allergist in your area. Keep in mind that if you do end up doing tests for food allergies (skin or blood), they have a 50% false positive rate. The false negative rate is much, much lower. Some kids respond more accurately to one test over the other.

Thanks for the information I do appreciate it!

mars817 10-12-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedBranches (Post 15801208)
This.

Food allergies are hard to pinpoint without a journal. My DH is allergic to all live cultures (sour cream, cheese, yogurt, raw milk, etc) He found out when he was 2 and his mom kept making him grilled cheese sandwiches and making him eat them and he kept getting sick- he ended up being tested and they figured out his allergy.

Epi is good to have on hand in case or anaphylaxis. The pediatric dose is .01mg/kg up to .3mg, or .3ml of epi 1:1000.

Benadryl works for hives and is DH's first line of defense against potential allergic reactions (it can usually subdue it enough until epi can be given).

Either way, follow what your pediatrician recommends, and in the case of any severe reaction (swelling of throat, face, wheezing, etc), call 911 and get checked out in the ER.

Both DH and I are both medics and see this a lot- It's just really important to know when to call for help if you have to. (I hope this doesn't scare you, it isn't my intent!)

I am scared, just because I don't know what is going on and I don't like it! Thanks for the info. I'm told I will know if he needs the epi pen and she said if he gets hives to take him to the er just in case.

magoose 10-14-2012 06:38 PM

I'm going through something similar. Since starting solids, DS2 has been getting eczema on his face off/on. I'm not entirely sure what causes it. I don't always eat the exact same thing every day, so is it something I'm eating, or something he's eating? At first I thought it was nuts and oatmeal, now it might be something else? I really don't know. I'm super tempted to cut everything out for a few days and go back to EBF so I can pinpoint things down easier. Like OP said, the reaction seems to show up a few days after so it's more difficult to say what exactly is causing the reaction. My family doc is zero help when it comes to allergies. She still doesn't believe me that DS1 is sensitive to dairy when it's pretty clear that's the issue. Very frustrating.