Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   dealing with back to school anxiety (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452816)

burnsis 10-11-2012 01:54 PM

dealing with back to school anxiety

my ds is in kindergarten, and just returned to school on tuesday after being off for fall break.

every day this week he has been giving me a hard time, saying his belly hurts, he is tired, he will miss me, the day is too long. he cries every night and morning and it gets especially bad as we approach the classroom. this morning, the school counselor took him into class and he was kicking and screaming.:cry:

his dad is also out of state for 6 weeks for work...and I think this is adding to it all.

I try to comfort him and tell him that I am not far away, and I will be back at the end of the day. I tell him that his friends are excited to see him.

I don't know how to get him excited about going to school again, but this is really rough on both of us. Any tips? Is this normal after time off?

Lolobug 10-11-2012 05:23 PM

Hi mama!
My 4 year old just started preschool for the first time, ever. She doesn't even go to a babysitter, just me and close family. Needless to say, we had a very rough time. Her teacher shortened her day from 3 hours to an hour. As soon as I dropped her off the teacher would set the timer w her. When I picked her up we reinforced "mommy comes back, see mommy came at the end of the timer!" We gradually increased her stay and were consistent w the timer. Within a week she was a different kid! Now she runs out the door to go to school.
She also made friends w another little girl. We schedule playdates outside of school. GL and pm if you need anything.
My guess is this will pass- stay strong!

amitchell98 10-11-2012 05:38 PM

Re: dealing with back to school anxiety

Yep, I agree. I think it will pass as well. But that doesn't mean it isn't hard while it's happening. When my son cries as I'm leaving it about tears my heart in two! Maybe set up a small routine with him that will help him feel more confident. Like, 2 kisses and 3 hugs before you go into class. Maybe a special sticker in a spot where it won't come off to remind him of you. Or even draw a little heart onto the back of his hand. You could read the kissing hand each night.

I would certainly recommend being very clear and firm when talking to him about how we go to school every day. That is your responsibility. And that you love him so much and will always be there when the school day is over. I know for my son when he first started preschool he had such a hard time but was always so happy when I picked up. This year he is still a bit clingy, but doesn't cry or get upset.

Good luck! oh...and just to be sure, double check with his teacher that everything is going well at school, just in case :)

burnsis 10-11-2012 08:51 PM

Re: dealing with back to school anxiety

thanks mamas....the school counselor spoke with him today, and invited him to come to his office to draw pictures to express his feelings. hopefully this passes soon!