Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2y2m, talking issues - is this normal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452836)

Mom2Connor 10-11-2012 03:02 PM

2y2m, talking issues - is this normal?

I know I've posted before, and I know people say "all kids are different." I totally get that, I do. But at what point is "different" = behind?

I am so sick of people suggesting (politely) to make sure we use proper words with DS who is 2 years 2 months old. He babbles a TON. As in talks like crazy, but it's total babble and not even a real attempt at words at all. People seem to assume we just give him whatever we think he wants, don't use the words for things, etc. It's frustrating, because we talk to him a TON. As in ALL. THE. TIME. We use words, we don't baby babble. For example, if I'm giving him something to drink, I say something like "here's your sippy" or "here is some milk," etc. We use words for foods, drinks, toys, objects, etc. He UNDERSTANDS most of what we say. He can follow directions, etc.

It's the actual TALKING that still worries me. I know people say "if you're worried, get early intervention." The process online sounds very frustrating and long and drawn out TBH so I'd rather not go through it all if this falls into the "normal" range you know? So can people with more than one kid just tell me if this sounds like it's in the range of NORMAL? :(

DH and I sat down and added up all the things he can say and we came to just short of two dozen. But they are not things he actively says regularly. As in, he can say "choo choo" for his trains, and probably uses words like that and ball daily. But he can say some words that he doesn't say very often and only if prompted generally. He can say a couple of phrases that only DH and I would probably understand such as "I don't know" which is more like "I dunno" - and if you say I love you, he will usually now say "I..too" for I love you too. He can say "here you go" is more like "here go" and "let go" is "lego" when you have something he's trying to take.

But what worries me is the frustration starting to develop. He will stand and whine, cry, throw a temper tantrum trying to tell me he wants something. He will point randomly in the kitchen crying and babbling a word, but I have NO CLUE what he wants. I try to get him to calm down, talk to me, and he is starting to get better at calming down and trying to tell me what he wants. But it's total babble. He can't tell me he's hungry, or thirsty, or what it is he's whining about, and he really is trying. Then he gets upset again and freaks out if I can't understand him.

I will ask, "Do you want a sippy?" "Are you hungry?" etc but nothing. And FTR he's a good eater, eats 3 good meals and two snacks a day but if he said he was hungry I'd feed him of course.

Thoughts? Help if you are in Indiana specifically? I found the "first steps" early intervention program the state offers, but can not for the life of me figure out WHO to call. You'd think there would be a number on the page about how to get started. Or an email or something.

slyeates 10-11-2012 03:14 PM

My son was in early intervention at 15 months. I HIGHLY suggest you have then come evaluate him. All I had to do was call my sons ped and ask them to refer us and the ped gave me the number to call. It really helped my ds. I truly feel that a mothers instinct should never be ignored.

Babybird4 10-11-2012 03:14 PM

Honestly I would call EI and get an evaluation. You can ask your pedi for the contact information and you do not need a referral for an eval.
I know the decision to get an evaluation can be difficult but in the long run he will either get the help he needs or your mind will be put at ease if they say he doesn't need services. It's free, they come to your house and "play" with him during the evaluation so there is nothing major to put him through. Some states have longer wait times than others so that may be the only frustrating part. We didn't have that problem however. DD1 had an eval just a week after I called and within a month after the eval we started services. We started with PT at 19 mo bc she wasn't walking and soon added speech as we realized she was behind there as well. Since then she has been diagnosed with childhood Apraxia of speech. A lot of what you are saying about your DS reminds me of DD1. We could count "words" but she didn't use them regularly and even then they weren't complete words, just approximations.

It won't hurt to get an eval so if you are the slightest bit concerned I would go ahead.

April, mommy to Haylea (8/18/09), Hannah (5/22/11) and baby Hogan due 12/12/12! *sent from my iPhone*

aries416 10-11-2012 03:14 PM

Re: 2y2m, talking issues - is this normal?

I am in Iowa and just called for my 24 month old son. The process was SUPER easy. Within 3 days, I had a someone out and within a week we have an appointment with a speech pathologist. He has about 16 words that he's ever said. He does not use them regularly. He does understand me, but will not usually talk when prompted. He will most likely qualify for therapy because he's more than 25% behind.

thtr4me 10-11-2012 03:19 PM

I have late talkers and have not done EI (yet), but I agree, call your LO's doc and ask for a referral. It cannot hurt. In the meantime, have you thought of trying signing at all? We are doing Signing Time here, and although he does not have a large sign vocabulary, it has made a huge difference for DS2 and his ability to communicate with us.

nursenmom 10-11-2012 03:20 PM

My daughter was similar and did qualify for early intervention and speech services. I think you should trust your instinct and get the ball rolling to check things out. I think early intervention only covers until age 3 and then the public school system takes over which in our state (and many others) means more kids in the system and not quite as efficient help.

I did a little search and you have probably already found the same info but in case you haven't here it is. First steps is the early intervention program in Indiana. It looks like you have local offices with contacts, I would start by emailing yours and see where that gets
you. http://www.in.gov/fssa/ddrs/2816.htm

For what it's worth my daughter started speech therapy 2 months before her 3rd birthday. She was ahead in comprehension but very far behind in her speech as in the bottom 3% I think when they scored her, she was more around a 16 month old. After a little under a year in therapy she is now caught up with her peers and I'm pretty confident that wouldn't have happened without therapy.

Mom2Connor 10-11-2012 03:21 PM

Thanks for the advice so far, and I want to clarify - when I said I'm sick of people suggesting to talk more, I'm talking about family/friends who suggest using real words with him so he too learns the real words. I don't mean the DS momma's! ;) I guess my point there is that some other people have noticed it too (mostly older people, like grandparent age) and said something. Last time I asked here, he was much younger and people just kept talking about the "language explosion" that hits at 2, and we keep waiting but honestly he just seems to be getting more frustrated.

Mom2Connor 10-11-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursenmom (Post 15799254)
My daughter was similar and did qualify for early intervention and speech services. I think you should trust your instinct and get the ball rolling to check things out. I think early intervention only covers until age 3 and then the public school system takes over which in our state (and many others) means more kids in the system and not quite as efficient help.

I did a little search and you have probably already found the same info but in case you haven't here it is. First steps is the early intervention program in Indiana. It looks like you have local offices with contacts, I would start by emailing yours and see where that gets
you. http://www.in.gov/fssa/ddrs/2816.htm

For what it's worth my daughter started speech therapy 2 months before her 3rd birthday. She was ahead in comprehension but very far behind in her speech as in the bottom 3% I think when they scored her, she was more around a 16 month old. After a little under a year in therapy she is now caught up with her peers and I'm pretty confident that wouldn't have happened without therapy.

Hey thanks, I was on that site but on the how to get started with first steps page, and it just said to contact your local office but had NO info on where or how that info could be obtained.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-11-2012 03:24 PM

ds2 didnt really start talking talking after age 3. i wasnt really worried about it

Mom2Connor 10-11-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thtr4me (Post 15799247)
I have late talkers and have not done EI (yet), but I agree, call your LO's doc and ask for a referral. It cannot hurt. In the meantime, have you thought of trying signing at all? We are doing Signing Time here, and although he does not have a large sign vocabulary, it has made a huge difference for DS2 and his ability to communicate with us.

I haven't, because I don't know anything about signing and thought that since be babbled and "talked" so much that for sure, soon, he would start being able to communicate better. But I am not at all opposed to signing. Where is a good place to start with info for that?