Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Ants! Natural Ways to Rid/Bite Treatment? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452907)

LinnyLou02 10-11-2012 07:27 PM

Ants! Natural Ways to Rid/Bite Treatment?

I am hoping you ladies can help. Apparently we have ants in our home that make their way into my 18 mo dd's crib at night. She wakes up with bites all over, even getting them underneath her diaper! She woke up with 9 bites today :( I have looked everywhere and have no clue where they are getting in. I sprayed vinegar all around the baseboards and don't know what other non-toxic, kid-safe remedies there are. Also, what would be good to put on her bites? I tried coconut oil, but that really doesn't seem to do much. Thanks in advance.

hishouseholdsix 10-11-2012 08:21 PM

Re: Ants! Natural Ways to Rid/Bite Treatment?

:popcorn: I'd also love to hear some kid-friendly methods of dealing with an ant problem. Seems like every time I think they're gone they've just set up shop elsewhere!

Jenette 10-11-2012 09:18 PM

Not kid friendly but the only way I can get rid of ants in my house is borax and sugar mixture.

dagmomma 10-12-2012 01:49 PM

http://diatomaceousearth.net/

I think this may be your best bet. But I would keep trying to find where they are coming from and treat the outside of the huse as well.

krispy79 10-15-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinnyLou02
I am hoping you ladies can help. Apparently we have ants in our home that make their way into my 18 mo dd's crib at night. She wakes up with bites all over, even getting them underneath her diaper! She woke up with 9 bites today :( I have looked everywhere and have no clue where they are getting in. I sprayed vinegar all around the baseboards and don't know what other non-toxic, kid-safe remedies there are. Also, what would be good to put on her bites? I tried coconut oil, but that really doesn't seem to do much. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure they're ants? Does the crib mattress have "vents"? Is it possible something is living in the mattress, bedbugs are very sneaky and if you don't have a huge infestation you might not notice. Other bugs as well, the stitching on the seam doesn't need to be that big for bugs to slip under there back home. Maybe try wrapping the mattress with practice wrap or a mattress cover and see if that helps.

Lifeisjoy 10-15-2012 06:47 PM

I use borax/sugar mix too, outside all around borders and windows.
Or it could be bedbugs? Try stripping sheets and sprinkle baking soda on mattress, try moving crib around room, treat carpets?

For bites use baking soda paste with water, stops itch. Or lavender eo.

LinnyLou02 10-15-2012 08:49 PM

Thanks ladies! I'm not 100% sure they are ants; I assumed since there are huge ant hills outside. Poor little thing is covered but it seems to bother me more than her.

ecocentric 10-17-2012 05:03 PM

I suggest looking into Neem oil. It does have a peculiar smell, but it is an option.

marenmccoy 10-25-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinnyLou02 (Post 15817088)
Thanks ladies! I'm not 100% sure they are ants; I assumed since there are huge ant hills outside. Poor little thing is covered but it seems to bother me more than her.

Hmm, I dunno, it sounds more like bed bug behavior to me. If it IS bedbugs, my sympathy to you-- I hear they are a most major pain.

dnh 11-01-2012 12:46 AM

this was happening to a guy i know.. turns out it was fleas :/