Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Unsupervised Bathing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452938)

Sarawithouth 10-11-2012 08:50 PM

Unsupervised Bathing

I guess I should preface this with "no bashing" and judgment free zone, but I have a question.

At what age did you feel safe to let your kid play in the bath unsupervised?

luvsviola 10-11-2012 08:54 PM

Re: Unsupervised Bathing

Our upstairs kids bathroom is within sight of our "game room"/loft area, which is where the washer/dryer is. We start letting kids play for short periods of time while we fold clothes at about age 3. We can hear them, and it is about a 5 foot walk to check on them.

thealmightyme 10-11-2012 08:56 PM

Four within talking distance.

stevensmom 10-11-2012 08:57 PM

4 within ear/walking distance

mommabritt 10-11-2012 09:01 PM

My older two never took unsupervised baths. My seven year old still doesn't but he is constantly standing up and loves to hold his breath under water so that's a no-go with him. My four year old loves to bring his 'guys' and dinos into the tub to play so I'll let him while dd is napping and I'm folding clothes in my room (about 6 steps) or cleaning. Our home isn't large and the bathroom is central.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-11-2012 09:12 PM

id say 3 with the door open and very shallow water. DD has been showering alone since she was about 2.

Ainmemphis 10-11-2012 09:22 PM

DS will be 3 next week, I have just now as in this week, started walking out of the bathroom to grab something if he's in the tub. Like a few steps away to grab a drink or to grab my phone, but I still haven't left him for more than those seconds it takes to grab and come back. I think I'm paranoid! but he doesn't usually take very long baths so that's why I usually just wait. He is pretty talkative and I can always hear him so maybe I'll start to relax after awhile.

corinne76 10-11-2012 09:26 PM

My kids play in the bath tub unsupervised. They are 5 (in 2.5 months) and 20 months. I trust the 5 y/o to help her brother if he slips a little. but we have a mat in the tub and the door stays wide open, and I never go far, maybe 8 feet max to pick up the living room

sandhillcranes 10-11-2012 09:26 PM

My son will be 3 soon. I will go out to grab the phone or get a towel out of the closet but not for more than a minute (a literal minute). I worry more about him deciding he needs to potty and trying to get out alone and cracking his head on the tile than i do drowning. But he is very very clumsy. I also worry about him making a huge wet mess! Lol

shortcake2386 10-11-2012 09:29 PM

i let the 4 and 6 year olds bathe alone but supervise of the 2 year old is in there. all can shower alone