Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Group B Strep? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452942)

dancingingrace 10-11-2012 09:58 PM

Group B Strep?

I found out today that my Group B Strep test was positive, and the doctor said that she would like me to be induced at 39 wks (if I don't go before) because my first baby came pretty quickly, and they want to make sure they have enough time to get the antibiotics in my system. They checked me at 34 1/2 wks because I was having some pains, and my cervix was still closed, and today at 37 1/2 wks I was "easily 3". I tested negative with my first baby, so of course, I had to do lots of research, and now I have myself scared. I've read about babies dying after contracting the infection, and that being checked and being induced are both good ways to infect the baby. How big of a worry is this? Of course, it scares me to death to think of something harmful being passed to my baby, or losing her. :yuck:

EmilytheStrange 10-11-2012 10:23 PM

It is scary, but babies do survive it.

I would start treating your strep naturally when you get closer. Plenty of women have homebirths and no antibiotics and healthy babies. I don't personally know what you do, but my friend did it and I'm sure women on here have as well.

Yes, I would avoid unnecessary dilation checks. All you need is 4 hrs. So, if you have any prelabor, that could be doable.

I know I wasn't induced, but I guess that was because there was no reason to think I'd have a fast labor.

But I'd research natural methods.

strongwoman 10-11-2012 10:24 PM

Re: Group B Strep?

Don't get yourself worked up. I had group b strep with my first and had a fast labor (2 hours) and did not take antibiotics before giving birth. Obviously there was no time to administer it since I gave birth like 5 mins. after arriving at the hospital. He's 3 y.o. now and totally fine :). I think researching about it is a good precaution, but don't get paranoid!

strongwoman 10-11-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15800696)
It is scary, but babies do survive it.

I would start treating your strep naturally when you get closer. Plenty of women have homebirths and no antibiotics and healthy babies. I don't personally know what you do, but my friend did it and I'm sure women on here have as well.

Yes, I would avoid unnecessary dilation checks. All you need is 4 hrs. So, if you have any prelabor, that could be doable.

I know I wasn't induced, but I guess that was because there was no reason to think I'd have a fast labor.

But I'd research natural methods.

Yes, natural methods. With my third baby, I didn't even get tested for group b strep since my midwife made it optional. I had a home birth and labor was longer (14 hours), so if I had group b strep this time around, baby was not affected.

AniMommy 10-11-2012 10:42 PM

Don't worry too much about it. I freaked out when they told me. But it really ended up being a non-issue. I would agree to keep the cervical checks to a min.

It sounds scary and it can be potentially dangerous. But the reason you've been screened is so that you can avoid the consequences.

The antibiotics aren't a big deal to administer. Likely they'll test your culture to determine what is the best med to give you. Once you get to hospital, you'll likely get a hep lock any way. Most of the time you need to get 2 doses w/in 6 to 12 hrs (?) of giving birth. The abx take about 25 min to take. So even if you don't want to be hooked up to stuff it really shouldn't impact too much.

If you aren't at the hospital long enough to get the doses if abx before birth, they'll watch the baby closely for 24 to 48 hrs to make sure that no infection has passed. This may mean that even when your ready to leave, they'll want to keep baby for observation. they'll be extra watchful and ready to give baby abx to avoid anything bad.

The chance of transfer to baby is pretty low even if you only get abx at hospital. Chance of negative out come is something like 2 in 1000 babies.

Some mamas on DS are very against taking abx for GBS. I'm not in that camp but I agree it probably can't hurt to take natural remedies as well as abx. Most dr won't retest which seems dumb to me.

I had no negatives from taking abx nor did my LO. Just my experience. I had abx allergies which made it so that I had to have 2 (of a specific abx not the normal one) doses 24 hours prior to birth. It worked out just fine. My mw said that had I not been able to get it, they would have held baby for observation.

I will however try the hibiclens protocol prior to my test this time to try to avoid it all together.

I'm not sure if it's a valid med reason for an induction (I won't comment on that part of yr docs advice).

mommycass 10-12-2012 06:50 AM

I tested pos. with my first and had a hospital birth. The Drs/nurses were actually late giving me the antibiotics, they didnt act like it was a big deal?! My 3rd was a homebirth and I never tested for it.
Honestly I would not be induced if I were you. I really don't think its a valid reason to rush you into labor. But that's my opinion. I think Drs try to be too in control. If you are worried about it, I would just go to the hospital as soon as your in labor instead of laboring at home at all. HTH:)

mommycass 10-12-2012 06:50 AM

DP

shannychi 10-12-2012 07:33 AM

A friend of mine did natural remedies like crazy with her first and her levels were really high. With subsequent pregnancies she didn't do as much and her levels were lower. I am a least intervention as possible person that tries to use natural remedies as much as possible. I truly believe that natural remedies are the best place to start and work with, but as with anything, it isn't a definite.

Crazy, but I ended up testing positive with my last baby. I was shocked. My doctor wasn't too worried because I made it 40 weeks and have had fast deliveries. He told me the biggest risk is premature babies and long labor and deliveries. I didn't do a ton of research because I didn't want to freak myself out. My OB is older and VERY laid back. He is a gem. Also, he didn't let anyone check me - only he did and it wasn't very often. :)

shannychi 10-12-2012 07:37 AM

I should have added - all the babies - my friend's and mine are healthy and happy. And, I was measuring 3cm for about 2 or 3 week, too.

shannychi 10-12-2012 07:38 AM

She used grapeseed oil and tea tree oil. Maybe look up those methods.

I need to wake up before I post! :)