Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   'Sposie only policy at school? *update!* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14530)

sesa70 06-15-2006 08:18 AM

'Sposie only policy at school? *update!*

My dd's summer school has a disposable diaper only policy. She is in a special needs program, she's almost 7.

How big of a deal would you make of this? Should I just deal with it and not bother trying to get them to take cd's? The thing is, for right now at least, I am broke! I am saving up for a new wheelchair for her (which I found on ebay but keep getting outbid on!) a new carseat, and a new bathchair. 'Sposies cost us over .50 each~! it would be nice if they would at least do some cd's for us instead of all sposies.

What do you guys think?

toryandrew 06-15-2006 08:21 AM

Re: 'Sposie only policy at school?

I would push it because most schools, daycares etc. imagine that you are asking them to use pins and a wet bucket etc. If you bring in a dipe and tell them that all they have to do is dump it into a bag poop and all, they might come around.

I give my daycare aplix dipes and a wetbag and there is no difference it what they have to do KWIM?

CMamma 06-15-2006 08:23 AM

I agree w/PP or even get a note from the doc if you can saying CDs are better for her etc. My friend told her daycare that her son was allergic to the chemicals in sposies and that was the end of that. Believe it or not a lot of states also have something saying that by law it's up to the parents to use cloth or sposies. Most people prefer not to deal w/what they imagine cloth to be.

sesa70 06-15-2006 08:36 AM

Thanks ladies!

Since my dd is so big, really the only thing that fits and works for her are all in ones (or twos) and mostly pockets. I think as far as cloth goes, pockets are probably as easy as it gets! I have an orientation tomarow and I will talk to the classroom aides and see what they are like.

hauser 06-15-2006 08:39 AM

go for it mama. you tell them how it is, and get a doctors note if yo have to!!

Zany Zebra Mama 06-15-2006 08:53 AM

Check to see if there's a state or district policy or if it's just a school thing. I know I'm not a school, but the licensing regs covering my daycare state that I can use cloth but can't rinse, dump, spray, etc, I can only put the soiled dipes in individual plastic bags to send home. :yuck: So maybe the school has similar restrictions...

SarahJane 06-15-2006 01:38 PM

:hugs: Go for it Mama. Hope it all works out.

mom_of_3g_1b 06-15-2006 05:48 PM

I hope it works out for you. Give us an update when you have one.

upstategirl 06-15-2006 06:25 PM

Hope all goes well! Bruce goes to a home daycare and she had no problems with using cloth. I give her a wet bag so instead of putting sposies in the trash she puts cloth in the wetbag. I think once they find out it's not prefolds and pins then they might have a change of heart.

singlemomto3 06-15-2006 07:47 PM

Sometimes with older children you can get insurance to pay for them. Also the wheelchair should be covered by insurance, it sucks to be paying for those out of pocket when things like that are overpriced because insurance only covers part of it.