Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   do you travel with cloth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453070)

dncnshu00 10-12-2012 11:19 AM

do you travel with cloth?

We are going on a short trip this weekend and I'm taking sposies. I HATE SPOSIES! Next time we go away for the weekend I want to be prepared. What do you take with you to put dirty CDs in when you travel? Any other tips for travelling with cloth?

ServingHim 10-12-2012 11:33 AM

Re: do you travel with cloth?

We did a lot of traveling over this summer and here is what I learned:
Our first trip was from Texas to Florida. We had a newborn (1 week old) and a 2 yr old in diapers full time and a night only 4 yr old. Since I had just given birth we took our time. It took us 3 days to get to Florida.
I just used my regular stash (I had enough to go 3 days without washing). We had 2 wetbags to store the dirties. All in all it was fine but when we got to Florida it took some extra washes to get them clean since they sat for 3 days.
For our trip from Florida to North Dakota I got flips and used the disposable inserts. I also had the grovia inserts too. They worked perfectly! I was able to hand wash the cover too! I like the grovia best because they were backed with a waterproof layer so the covers didn't really get wet at all. Price wise though, flips are the cheapest and work just fine! We used them day on two kids and night on 3. I had to double up on the to older boys at night but we never had a leak!

moonlightblonde 10-12-2012 11:47 AM

Just in a hanging wetbag & carry on like normal. We went away last weekend - I just washed as late as possible Friday & put them all in a big diaper bag & washed when we were home Tuesday morning.

I did sposies on a week trip with a 2 week old & ever time since have done cloth. Most of our trips are 1-3 weeks, never had any issues.

armywife21 10-12-2012 11:51 AM

We never go anywhere. :giggle: I think it would depend where we were going though. Just a few days or if we were visiting family I'd totally do it but if we were going to disney world or something like that I think we might break down and just use disposables.

stevensmom 10-12-2012 11:54 AM

we never do sposies...and we are gone every weekend during the summer.

I just wash them all the night before we leave. Take them all and several wetbags. Then wash them as soon as we get home...no problems!

when dd and I flew to my cousins wedding last year, All the diapers went in my carryon backpack, then on the way home they traveled in my suitcase

nonipie 10-12-2012 12:02 PM

Yes we usually do. If I will be washing there I bring only flats and covers. If it's a short trip then I bring pockets (stuffed with flats) and wash when I get home. I have an XL wetbag I bring with me. Got some single load detergent from the laundry mat that is easy to bring along.

huntressxx 10-12-2012 12:24 PM

Yep just got home from a 4 day trip with a 1 month old in cloth and a 2 year old.

Nature Decor On Etsy. Nature Photography Suited for Any Style!

Hungry Caterpillar 10-12-2012 12:30 PM

Traveling via car for 3.5 days or less:
Diapers go into a laundry basket and then when dirty go into an XL Monkey Foot Designs wetbag. I can fit 3+ days of dirties in those bags.

Traveling via plane for however long and going to a place with laundry facilities:
10 diapers go into my carryon, another approx 20 go into checked luggage. Large Monkey Foot wetbag goes into carryon. Second XL wetbag goes into checked so I can transfer what we used out for the day into the "pail" wherever we are staying and then wash every 2+ days per usual.

Traveling via plane without laundry facilities for less than 4 days:
10 diapers go into my carryon, another approx 30 go into checked luggage. Large Monkey Foot wetbag goes into carryon. Second and third large or XL wetbags goes into checked and then all the dirties fly home in wetbags packed into huge ziploc bags that I have been washing and reusing for a while, they never get anything leaked into it, I am just paranoid.
http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Double-.../dp/B003U6A3EY

We have always traveled with cloth. It's really easy! I pack tide in a shampoo bottle and check it or travel with nellie's and some oxygen bleach in a reusable bottle in my checked luggage.

abunchoflemons 10-12-2012 12:40 PM

We use sterilite with lid & just put in car. We use wetbag in places but empty between places. We took regular stash.

Kissed by the Moon 10-12-2012 12:50 PM

We always travel with cloth but I think I'm pretty hardcore (though it's super easy so I don't see why not). You just need a wet bag to put the dirty diapers in- for a weekend you'd want a big one and bring a bunch of diapers(; the more the better, especially if you are driving and have room. Bring wipes and spritz or whatever solution you're using and some cream and you're good to go. You could also do liners or disposable inserts.