Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Stinking Glucose Test! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453133)

nicolemariep 10-12-2012 01:07 PM

Stinking Glucose Test!

I failed my 1 hour glucose test with a score of 165. My office wants it below 135. In my two previous pregnancies I had 1 hour scores of 136 and 137, so just barely above the cut off. I passed the 3 hour test both of those times. However since it's so high this time, I'm a little worried that I won't pass the 3 hour. Has anyone failed the 1 hour that badly and then passed the 3 hour?

I love bread way too much for this to be happening to me! :banghead:

Tina5834 10-12-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolemariep
I failed my 1 hour glucose test with a score of 165. My office wants it below 135. In my two previous pregnancies I had 1 hour scores of 136 and 137, so just barely above the cut off. I passed the 3 hour test both of those times. However since it's so high this time, I'm a little worried that I won't pass the 3 hour. Has anyone failed the 1 hour that badly and then passed the 3 hour?

I love bread way too much for this to be happening to me! :banghead:

No advice, just :hugs: ugh!

harmoni247 10-12-2012 02:21 PM

Re: Stinking Glucose Test!

Yes, I have heard of that happening plenty of times. The 1 hour test is not all that accurate, which is why they have a backup. Even if you fail the 3 hour, it's not the end of the world. Just paying a bit more attention to eating right is all most women need. From the women I've talked to with GD, they didn't have to give up bread/sugar/etc, just pay attention to everything you're taking in, I'm sure you know what's healthy ;) BUT 95% of the women I talk to also have a midwife as their care provider, so they are more likely to have the "wait and see" approach and have nutritionists working with them.

romansmommy 10-12-2012 08:25 PM

I'm not much help but wanted to say good luck!!

I failed my 1 hr last week w/ a 157 and completely failed the 3 hr on Wednesday. I start the GD protocol (diet & blood sugar checks at home 4 times/day) this coming week. I'm dreading it, especially with the upcoming holidays!!

Joyful Tie Dyes 10-12-2012 09:12 PM

168 on the 1 hour failed the 3 hour been on a very strict GD diet since BUT I have avoided meds thus far :)

A21Lee 10-12-2012 09:46 PM

Ugh! I've been there, too. GD with my first pregnancy. Failed the 1-hr, but my OB didn't follow up with the 3-hr. She just had me start the protocol with diet and BS checks. The only thing that ever spiked my levels was fruit/fruit juice and soda (which coke was the only thing that settled my stomach since I had nausea the whole pregnancy). No GD problems with my 2nd son. It's possible to pass the 3-hr after failing the 1-hr. The issue is insulin resistance. The 3-hr just gives your body more time to process the sugar. If your body can achieve normalized levels after 3-hr you worry less about the excess sugar getting to baby. Best of luck!

nicolemariep 10-13-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romansmommy (Post 15804993)
I'm not much help but wanted to say good luck!!

I failed my 1 hr last week w/ a 157 and completely failed the 3 hr on Wednesday. I start the GD protocol (diet & blood sugar checks at home 4 times/day) this coming week. I'm dreading it, especially with the upcoming holidays!!

Bummer! I was talking to my husband today and I was like "Nooooo! Thanksgiving! Mashed Potatoes!" The holidays are the worst time to have GD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes (Post 15805204)
168 on the 1 hour failed the 3 hour been on a very strict GD diet since BUT I have avoided meds thus far :)

Yay for no meds!

Quote:

Originally Posted by A21Lee (Post 15805331)
Ugh! I've been there, too. GD with my first pregnancy. Failed the 1-hr, but my OB didn't follow up with the 3-hr. She just had me start the protocol with diet and BS checks. The only thing that ever spiked my levels was fruit/fruit juice and soda (which coke was the only thing that settled my stomach since I had nausea the whole pregnancy). No GD problems with my 2nd son. It's possible to pass the 3-hr after failing the 1-hr. The issue is insulin resistance. The 3-hr just gives your body more time to process the sugar. If your body can achieve normalized levels after 3-hr you worry less about the excess sugar getting to baby. Best of luck!

I would be able to deal with GD a lot better if I had to just avoid fruit/juice/soda. I could live without those. I could easily live without most sugars. What I cannot live without is giant chunks of yummy carbs like bread and pasta. I will die if I can't have pasta for 3 months.

Minniebees 10-13-2012 09:58 AM

I'm sure you know, the one hour is a screening, so a lot of people fail the one hour and pass the 3 hour. I failed mine for the first time, so I have to do the 3 hour. It's actually good to know, because it means you are at a higher risk of type II diabetes later in life, so if I end up with GD, I now know to be extra careful with my weight and fitness level as I get older. And its good to know for the safety of the baby. The risks go beyond just a large baby, but I'm sure your OB's will go over that.

You can still have bread and pasta, but you just have to make sure you get the same amount, within guidelines, for every meal. If you fail the 3 hour, you will probably either take a class, or see a nutritionist to help you through the diet. My OB's do both.

mamamanya 10-13-2012 01:43 PM

I failed my 1 hour with a score of 176!!!

But I passed my 3 hour :lostit:

My 3 hour numbers were fasting 70. 1 hr 112. 2 hr 96. 3 hour 76.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Van1300 10-13-2012 02:32 PM

I failed both and have had GD for both pregnancies. I'm 33 weeks with this one and have been on the GD diet since week 16. Basically, if I eat a heavy carb meal, I get up and walk. If I eat carbs, I also eat protein. My fasting sugars are always fine. Sometimes my 1 hour after meals are a bit high if I don't watch my portions, but it has been easy to control with diet. Though it gets worse with subsequent pregnancies...

Good luck to you and if you end up with GD, you will still enjoy the holidays, I promise :)