Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   S/O Outdoor Play Structures, Yes or No? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453139)

Leiiki 10-12-2012 01:12 PM

S/O Outdoor Play Structures, Yes or No?

Jungle gyms, trampolines, treehouses, above-ground pools...Mucho-desirable or mega-tacky?

Bear Family 10-12-2012 01:22 PM

Re: S/O Outdoor Play Structures, Yes or No?

I voted doesen't bother me. We have a trampoline, and in the past an above ground pool. When I was a kid, we had play structures and treehouses. I don't think they're a must have though, but definitley not tacky.

kaia.aline 10-12-2012 01:26 PM

Depends- I think metal jungle gyms trampolines and above ground pools always look tacky... Wooden jungle gyms and tree houses can go either way depending on how they are constructed

P!nkPepper 10-12-2012 01:35 PM

Depends on where you live. If you live in a big money area, probably tacky. Regular Joe area, probably fine.

We have a metal swing set because we couldn't afford a $1000 wooden one when we moved here. It is in excellent condition & we plan to remove the swings, bar, slide & teeter todder to winterize it. I don't care if my neighbors think it is tacky or not. My yard has a privacy fence around it & my kids deserve to have fun even though we are too poor to afford a super expensive luxury swing set.

ETA: our yard is very small so a wooden set really isn't possible even if our budget allowed.

Jodie ~ wife & mama

iris0110 10-12-2012 01:57 PM

I love out door play equipment and personally prefer the metal ones with some exceptions. Unless you are willing to pay $5,000 for your swing set and then spend time maintaining it (which I've known dh long enough to know he probably isn't) a wooden set just isn't going to last as long as a metal set. Most of the "cheaper" and I use that term loosely because $1,000 just doesn't seem cheap to me, wooden sets don't handle the weather well and don't last. I would rather spend $200-$300 on a nicer metal one personally. Of course what I really wanted was this http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Clubh...time+swing+set but it just wasn't in our budget and we were a little worried about how it would fit with the layout of our yard (we have a large shed which makes our yard layout a little odd). We are still looking at adding a Lifetime metal jungle gym and dh and FIL may or may not build a wooden fort for the kids. I know if dh and FIL do it it will be well made and built to last. We also won't have a ton of money invested in it.

I don't think outdoor playstructures look tacky at all, as long as they are not falling apart. I think they look like a child lives at your house and is allowed to play outside. Nothing at all tacky about that.

umphreysmommy 10-12-2012 02:01 PM

I think swingsets are totally fine. I think it looks tacky when you start having a bunch of different stuff just placed everywhere. I think having any one thing is ok though. I also don't like the look of above ground pools unless they are built into a deck or something.

anrmom21 10-12-2012 02:19 PM

We pretty much have a playground in our yard. We have a swingset, a metal train, a metal helicopter, a tea cup spinner, one of those bouncy fiberglass airplanes, and a four person bouncy seat thing and a sand box. I think that is all. My dad found a place close to our house that sells playground equipment and got it all for under 500.00. We live in the country and the closest parks are 5-10 miles away and are always crowded. So its nice to be able to go outside and sit on the porch and not have to get in the car just to go play. We also have a trampoline.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DS Forum

Kiliki 10-12-2012 02:19 PM

We had an above ground pool growing up and we LOVED that thing!

Now as an adult I think they are a giant eyesore.

but ya know what? I wouldn't even bat en eye or hesitate if we decided to get one for our kids.

There's a reason I never wear heels, and don't have perfectly manicured hair and nails - I much prefer functionality and practicality over appearances. :goodvibes:

I want my kids to enjoy having a backayrd, and enjoy their young years. I couldn't care any less what my neighbor's think my yard looks like.

EmilytheStrange 10-12-2012 02:19 PM

I think they all look just fine as long as they are well maintained and the yard is also well maintained.

anrmom21 10-12-2012 02:29 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of what all we have.

Attachment 121694

Attachment 121693

Attachment 121692

Attachment 121690

Attachment 121691

Attachment 121689

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DS Forum