Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   only likes banana with cereal and breastmilk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453156)

cassie.sattler 10-12-2012 01:39 PM

only likes banana with cereal and breastmilk

i started lo on solids and we have been going strong for about 2 1/2 weeks. i have tried carrots peaches and sweet potato but he really only seems to like banana with or without cereal and breast milk. iv tried mixing new foods with cereal and adding them to his banana to no avail. he can easily down 1/4 banana with some cereal and a few boob cubes in one sitting but wont take more then a few bites of anything else. i know different flavors take some time to get use to but i am concerned he will be to picky.

he also seems very distracted when nursing and im lucky if we get more then a 10 minute feed because he pops on and off so much and is super squirmy! any advice or suggestions?

ps im interested in blw but he is only 5 months and i would like to wait until he is six months

LinzTAW 10-13-2012 01:01 AM

Re: only likes banana with cereal and breastmilk

Since he's only 5 months I wouldn't push solids. Continue with the bananas since he likes it and try something new in about a week or two.

shesaidwat 10-13-2012 07:21 PM

I wouldn't push solids if he's only 5 months, but keep trying letting him taste them. My daughter started showing interest in solids at 4 months, we didn't let her eat them as a meal but would let her taste different baby foods. Bananas and apples were the only ones she liked at first. Then about a week ago she started lunging at our food on our forks and our plates with her mouth wide open, and she now loves all the ones we'd been letting her taste. She holds her mouth open like a baby bird and gets mad if we take to long to give her more. She's 5 months now. If we'd pushed the solids when she was super picky i dont know that we'd be where we are now.

Hungry Caterpillar 10-13-2012 10:27 PM

We had the banana preference issue, too :) Once he discovered bananas he ONLY wanted bananas.

For a few weeks, I withheld them all together and tried other things. Eventually he was eating other things and enjoying them.

Where it did work out great for us was when I would make a batch of something he hated (turkey with peas, for instance, he doesn't like pureed peas) and I would doctor it with mashed bananas. All of a sudden he was eating it for the bananas! And I was getting peas and turkey into him, so it worked out.

It only lasted around a month. His fourth word was "nana" :giggle2:

Palooka 10-13-2012 10:38 PM

Yup 5 months is pretty early. Our babe didn't start to really eat solids well until 7 months. And yeah it takes at least twenty exposures for a child to have a real preference, but at five months I wouldn't start counting yet.

yllainehudges 10-13-2012 10:53 PM

Let him enjoy what he only wants. At his age we should not push solids that they don't like but don't hesitate to introduce new nutritious ones. Kids are picky in nature and it's just a matter of time I guess before they can accept to eat those that they do not feel.

cassie.sattler 10-14-2012 02:16 PM

thanks for all the reassurance. ftm jitters perhaps. i let him play with it if he doesnt eat it and that seems to help.

mcbridecs 10-21-2012 06:49 AM

My lo is like yours in regards to on and off drinking @ the boob he is so squirmy it takes forever and he does the same thing when getting solids. He is 7 1/2 months and he eats a little solids (loves banana) but prefers milk. I am trying to get him to eat more as he has a big appetite so i am feeding him all day. I know he will grow out of it one day so I am not worried.

I have found that sitting in a quite room w/ no distractions help when bf him so he does not have anything to turn and look at. Also your babe is 5 months so dont push food on him when he turns six months just take it slow he might still just take a little but after a while will start consuming more solids. Goodluck!